PDA

View Full Version : Good/Bad Experience with MLB Authentication Program

TBM
01-04-2017, 10:35 PM
I did not see a thread specifically for this so I started this one.

I recently had need of the help of the good folks at MLB Authentication and wanted to let you know about my fantastic experience. Feel free to share your stories about MLB Experiences.

I was doing a semi regular search for Royals GU items on eBay and found a ball with the wrong Authentication information on it. It was Authenticated as a single but the actual play was never scored as a single, it was scored as a ground out/force out. I sent an email to authentication@website.mlb.com and explained the error to them. Less than 5 days later I got a reply saying they looked at the scoring and agreed with me on the error. They fixed it in their database and everything is now good. Those 5 days included a weekend and the New Years Holliday. Big Kudos to the people at MLB Authentication for their quick action on this.

Though, unfortunately for the eBay seller he bought it as a single to resell and now it's just a ground out/force out ball that is worth less than what he paid for it but the auction information did get revised to reflect the changes.

Anyone else have good or bad experiences with MLB Authentication people?

nevrdiez34
01-04-2017, 11:47 PM
I did not see a thread specifically for this so I started this one.

I recently had need of the help of the good folks at MLB Authentication and wanted to let you know about my fantastic experience. Feel free to share your stories about MLB Experiences.

I was doing a semi regular search for Royals GU items on eBay and found a ball with the wrong Authentication information on it. It was Authenticated as a single but the actual play was never scored as a single, it was scored as a ground out/force out. I sent an email to authentication@website.mlb.com and explained the error to them. Less than 5 days later I got a reply saying they looked at the scoring and agreed with me on the error. They fixed it in their database and everything is now good. Those 5 days included a weekend and the New Years Holliday. Big Kudos to the people at MLB Authentication for their quick action on this.

Though, unfortunately for the eBay seller he bought it as a single to resell and now it's just a ground out/force out ball that is worth less than what he paid for it but the auction information did get revised to reflect the changes.

Anyone else have good or bad experiences with MLB Authentication people?

I have contacted them for authentication errors 3-5 times in the past and have always been pleased with their response and timing. Each experience I had a response in under two business days from when I sent my email, usually the next business day.

Dewey2007
01-05-2017, 01:07 AM
I had a very nice experience with the MLB Authentication program. My 2009 Jimmy Rollins game used World Series road jersey was authenticated as game issued because the authentication was done after the series. I contacted them and confirmed the security markings that were placed on the Harry Kalas memorial patch. Instead of mailing it in, I was able to meet up with an MLB authenticator that worked at SF Giants home games. He looked at the jersey confirmed the markings and MLB changed the authentication to game used. All in all I was happy to get the authentication upgraded w/o having to mail the jersey across country.

Wrigley2010
01-05-2017, 01:26 AM
As longs as you don't contact them about the infamous Tampa Smokers Jerseys not showing up in the database and you actually get them to reply to your inquiry you should be good. I've only had them fix spelling errors and a Longoria Double that showed as Evan being the pitcher and Jon Gray the batter.

I've been told numerous times "they are on the road but will get back to me asap" to which I reply "I'm in no hurry and appreciate the reply" only to never hear from them again. Even when sending numerous other messages about the same issue they just ignore them.

I think it boils down to whether or not they can fix the issue for you. If they can't they just ignore it and if they can they will assist you if time permits.

If I could ever get a clear answer on why the Smokers Jerseys can't be added I'd be ecstatic. I will say this though, the MLB Authentication Program has set the bar for the industry and I hope they continue to improve upon it instead of letting it get old and tired.

coxfan
01-06-2017, 04:47 PM
One problem that 's hard to correct occurs when an authenticator makes an observational error. For example, I have a ball which is authenticated as a foul tip, but I'm sure it was a pitch in the dirt. ( There were no fouls, tip or otherwise, in that AB.) It would be hard to get that corrected, since the authentication people would have to review the actual pitch-by-record, and then still couldn't be sure what the authenticator thought he saw.

The solution would be to do what I saw the Rangers do. The ball boy spoke to the authenticator each time he handed him a ball. That allowed a double-check on observation, since the ball boy could correct an observation error. With most teams, though, the ball boy just tosses the authenticator the ball without saying anything.

One amusing thing: The last couple of Chistmas mornings, I've gotten a game-used ball as a present from one of my daughters. When I tried to check the hologram number, the MLB authentication website was inaccessible until midday. I guess all us gift-recipients were overloading the system!

64SHEA
01-06-2017, 07:37 PM
I have only ever had two issues with MLB authentication. I bought the lineup card from Willie Randolph's last game as Mets manager, and it didn't show up in the database at all. They got back to me right away saying they would look into it and a few weeks later it was up with all the correct information. Never found out why it wasn't already in the database or how the confirmed it was authenticate.

Another time I bought a Wright ball that stated it was a double. While looking for a photo of him hitting the ball, I realized he hadn't hit a double in the game. I contact the Mets instead of MLB though, as I wanted to return it. Not sure if they ever spoke with MLB about it.

metsbats
01-07-2017, 03:21 PM
I brought a 2015 Daniel Murphy game used Mother's Day bat which still cannot be found in the MLB database. Contacted the team and still waiting for a reply.

esigs
01-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Over the years I had good success in getting errors corrected, although it could take longer than I'd hope. The last year or so, I feel the response time has improved, and I've been getting responses within days, and directly from MLB Authentication Program Manager.

In my most recent experience, I had a baseball that didn't have incorrect information, but the information was incomplete. Specifically, Prince Fielder hit a double of Yu Darvish (before they were teammates), scoring Austin Jackson and Miguel Cabrera. The authentication noted the double but not to the 2 RBI. I emailed Howard a picture of the ball showing the authentication sticker clearly readable, a screenshot of the authentication certificate, and a screenshot of MLB.com score showing the 2 RBI double. In less than 24 hours, I got a reply stating the authentication had been fixed, and when I checked, it now states the 2 RBI. In my experience, getting them the information they need to verify what you are requesting is key and by providing it along with the request speeds up their response time.

centauri
01-18-2017, 03:12 PM
My one experience was I bought a Tyler Naquin bat from the team shop that had the authentication sticker, but no result on the website. The team was not much help, so I contacted the MLB guys. They were fast, responsive, and fixed the problem in 2 days. Very friendly folks to work with, IMO. I was stunned at how responsive they were.

coxfan
01-19-2017, 10:49 AM
We just set a record for a quick and positive response, with a correction being made only an hour after I inquired about it. It seems the authenticator's notes were correct, so I assume there must have been a subsequent clerical error in entering. Thanks to MLB for that quick response.

shaunharr
05-30-2017, 08:02 PM
My one experience was I bought a Tyler Naquin bat from the team shop that had the authentication sticker, but no result on the website. The team was not much help, so I contacted the MLB guys. They were fast, responsive, and fixed the problem in 2 days. Very friendly folks to work with, IMO. I was stunned at how responsive they were.

Send me an email if you dont mind

Sulross
05-31-2017, 11:18 PM
I've had perfect results in getting what I ask for with mixed results on responsiveness. I've had two balls where significant events occurred that weren't listed on the cert. I let them know what I wanted and provided links and other information to make it easy for them to look at the MLB video to verify it for themselves. Both times they gave me what I asked for. They even wrote in my "suggested" language. I have had to email repeatedly to get a response, but really happy that they're willing to make changes if verifiable.

Does anyone know if MLB has a formal policy on making changes to certs?

coxfan
06-01-2017, 09:41 AM
I don't know about any formal policy, but when a pitch in dirt was incorrectly entered in the database as a foul tip, they contacted the authenticator, who told them his personal record showed a pitch in dirt. So the website was changed based on that.

In another case, I pointed out a scoring change made after the original scorer's decision that was not caught by the authenticator. Since the scoring change was verifiable on the MLB website, the database entry was changed.

One interesting situation: One of my items acquired additional significance after it was authenticated, because it proved the final action in something that set a career record for the player. Since the player still had a few games left, nobody could know at the time that it would be his last of his career. I haven't tried to get that updated, but it probably could be done since the facts are verifiable.