PDA

View Full Version : What Defines 'Game Used' These Days?

TwinLakesPark
01-13-2017, 09:37 AM
I know we have all talked about it, I know we all have our own opinions, and god knows the players have their own opinions on defining "Game Used"; however this one gave me a good laugh in the airport yesterday. So add your own caption here to the following photo, how is this chair game used?

3arod13
01-13-2017, 10:15 AM
I know we have all talked about it, I know we all have our own opinions, and god knows the players have their own opinions on defining "Game Used"; however this one gave me a good laugh in the airport yesterday. So add your own caption here to the following photo, how is this chair game used?

Remove the word "game" and it's good to go. Even if he took the chair on the field, sat in it, and then called it game used, still not legit. :D

War Helmets
01-13-2017, 11:43 AM
I needed a good laugh this morning :D One question I have is Game used vs Team Issued that sellers or auction houses often put in the listing.For an exaple Joe Montana one of the best no doubt or Don Mattingly my favorite all time players.Jerseys or helmets or bats they made for them that they just never got around to using.The tagging & specs looks correct ect but it looks like it has never seen a locker room and the jersey is in mint condition with not one thread out of place like it has been sitting in a closet with a dry cleaning bag over it or a helmet or bat that doesn't have one tiny scratch.I know the teams have charity auctions of star players gear also.I imagine these days a star player only uses a jersey for one single game these days while back in the day a player could have used a jersey for an entire season or multiple games but always made more jerseys for the stars.Thoughts on Game used vs Team issued?

War Helmets
01-13-2017, 11:55 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102188&stc=1&d=1484326019187&stc=1&d=1484326019 Here is great example.This is a jersey I am interested in a Raiders jersey of the great hall of famer Ted "Mad Stork" Hendricks a 4X Super Bowl winner also.He was a great hard hitting Linebacker & probably still has the NFL record for the most blocked punts & field goals to this day with his 6-7 frame & long arms.This jerseys checks out but doesn't have a single thread out of place or stain and looks to have never seen a locker room

War Helmets
01-13-2017, 12:28 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102189&stc=1&d=1484328179 Has a COA for the autograph but not "game used" as you can tell this jersey is minty.The price of $1,500 is pretty reasonable is why I am maybe interested.A real gamer of his is worth $5,000 & up.Any thoughts jersey guys?

carbonrosa
01-13-2017, 12:35 PM
I always felt this way with player locker name tags. Cool extra to own but game used? It's a name plate. I'll never forget asking the price for a Mike Trout locker name tag. I forgot the team but he wanted $500 for a Mike Trout Locker tag that was printed in color on a plain piece of paper and cut to fit. Really? When the guy emailed me the picture I laughed so hard but then felt sad for the guy who will pay that since it does say Mike Trout with a MLB sticker on it but a plain piece of paper that cost 75 cents to print.

War Helmets
01-13-2017, 12:46 PM
And the jersey has the proper pre MacGregor Sand Knit tagging for the early 80's and is a size 50.I looked at some of his gamers sold over the years and that was his size.The name plate looks a little shaky though :confused: .To new collectors of this great hobby you have to be extra careful and do your homework as there are crooks out there trying to make quick bucks or people or auction houses that don't know about what they are selling and assume its "game used" no mater the sport or item or team.There are some great experts on this website that know what is what for advice

War Helmets
01-13-2017, 12:50 PM
I always felt this way with player locker name tags. Cool extra to own but game used? It's a name plate. I'll never forget asking the price for a Mike Trout locker name tag. I forgot the team but he wanted $500 for a Mike Trout Locker tag that was printed in color on a plain piece of paper and cut to fit. Really? When the guy emailed me the picture I laughed so hard but then felt sad for the guy who will pay that since it does say Mike Trout with a MLB sticker on it but a plain piece of paper that cost 75 cents to print.That is what I am taking about you have to really do your homework and not be afraid to ask for advice from fellow collectors.Some might get worried that if you do someone might try to snatch their highly desired item in a bidding war

coxfan
01-14-2017, 11:10 AM
What s next on "game-used" definitions? The tires on a player's car when he drove to the game?

I think most collectors have stricter definitions of "game-used" than do some sellers. Personally, if the rules don't require it, it doesn't meet my definition.

memorabiliaunlimited
01-14-2017, 01:52 PM
maybe he used the chair to play games in the clubhouse? then it would technically be "game used" ha. most likely, the only thing fulmer used that chair for was to sit his a** in before and after games. some ROY a** sweat to the highest bidder!

also in agreement on the locker tags. i think lineup cards fall in the same category, though some obvious differences and i think definitely more valuable.

i dont think anything should be called "game used" unless it was actually "used" (saw game action) by a player during the game, out on the field. my opinion.

R_Aaronson
01-14-2017, 10:19 PM
So what is the term for a jersey that a starting pitcher wears on his non-starting days, just sitting in the dugout?

dangerzone79
01-14-2017, 11:37 PM
Tough subject. I personally don't think anything should be called game used unless it was actually used on field during a MAJOR LEAGUE baseball game. I only care about baseball which is why I'm using MLB as an example. If a player who was on the bench the whole game, like a utility player or starting pitcher on his non pitching day, or a coach, these things must not be deemed "game used". I don't even like minor league things being signed game used, but it's a tiny but more acceptable. I would like minor league stuff to be specified, personally. Nothing from a locker room, or dugout, bullpen, front office, parking lot etc should be classified GU. It cheapens the entire sport & every team that does it. Greedily squeezing MORE money out of us fans, who sincerely love the game.

dangerzone79
01-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Team Issued. No question.

So what is the term for a jersey that a starting pitcher wears on his non-starting days, just sitting in the dugout?

3arod13
01-15-2017, 08:20 AM
I honestly don't understand why it's so difficult for people to understand the definition of game used. With two outs and a man on first, a player comes up to bat with a brand new bat, doesn't receive one pitch, because the pitcher threw out the man on first for the third out. The bat is a game used bat.

coxfan
01-15-2017, 09:47 AM
We all have our definitions. I consider an item available at a game for official use in a game to be "game-ready". That would apply equally to the uniform of a substitute who doesn't come in, as to a new ball in the umpire's bucket that isn't thrown in.

I regard "team-used" as something used to help with a game, but not required by the rules. This would include practice balls, as well as the dugout lineup cards ( not the official batting-order cards, which are game-used because they're official). A ball that's used in a game, then later for BP, goes through all three definitions in time.

memorabiliaunlimited
01-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Team Issued. No question.

agreed. or "game worn" which should have a different definition than "game used". the pitcher in this example did technically "wear" it during a game, but it wasnt "used" during a game. to be used, to me, the item must actually be used during a game by a player.

Jags Fan Dan
01-15-2017, 04:24 PM

What about "player worn" for that particular situation?

Jags Fan Dan
01-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Just because I view issued as something prepped for a player but it never reached his hands/back.

esigs
01-17-2017, 11:41 PM

Doesn't it depend on how one defines the word "game?"

Like the word "baseball" has two distinct meanings - the sphere used in games & the name of the game itself - "game" has at least two meanings as well. There is the baseball game that is played on the field, and there is the game of baseball, the broader use of the word "game." If the player meant to use "game" in this broader context, meaning that the chair, like everything else in the stadium, i.e., seats, signs, flags, etc., are all part of the game of baseball, wouldn't it be appropriate to say it was "game used?" However, it is very unlikely that the player thought of the word "game" in those broad terms. And most of the collecting community would not use "game" in that way either when using the term "game used."

Aside from different opinions on what different terms mean, this thread points to a lack of terminology to categorize artifacts that are part of the game of baseball, but that were not used in a game. To call a chair used in the locker room game used make as much sense as calling an equipment bag game used, but what should we call them? Memorabilia would be too generic. Team or club used? Player used? Stadium used? As in, a chair could be either team or club or player used, an equipment bag could be player used, while signs or seats could be stadium or club used. Can one of these terms be used to describe all of the artifacts that are not considered "game used?" Perhaps team or club used?

G1X
01-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Just because I view issued as something prepped for a player but it never reached his hands/back.

+1
While there has always been discussions on the differing terms, it seems that over the years there has been a consensus with regards to the term "Issued" (such as "Team Issued", "Game Issued", or "Player Issued"). As Dan stated, it has been recognized as meaning an item prepped for a player but never actually being used/worn by the player. Also, I always considered an item described as "Game Ready"to have the same meaning as "Issued" - it was prepped for the player for use but was never actually used/worn.

For me, it doesn't matter that much whether a player participated in the game as long as he dressed out, and as long as I understand that before making the purchase. Starting pitchers who are not pitching that day or subs that don't get into the game are easy to figure out, but what if a reliever warms up for an inning in the bullpen but never gets called on to pitch? And what if a player is called on to pinch hit and is called back when the other team makes a pitching change? What about the place kicker who only gets on the field for one play, but the kick is nullified due to a penalty and they end up punting (in this scenario, they get shut out, and he does not handle the kickoff duties)?

I liked 3arod13's bat example. I went through that scenario a few years ago on this Forum in an example of how a batter can come to the plate 4 times in a game using the same bat yet not put any game use on the bat. It might not show any game use, but I agree that it is game used.

At the end of the day, the most important thing to keep in mind is that the various terms have different meanings for different collectors. So before laying down your hard-earned money, it is best to have a meeting of the minds to be sure that you are on the same page as the seller with regards to the description and terminology.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

sprint23
01-24-2017, 02:39 PM
I was always more annoyed with the liberal use of the term "team issued" than game-used. At least the majority of the game-used labelled items were at some point in the player or team possession. Then you can use your own judgement as to condition or degree it was used,

Too many "sellers" are interpreting team issued as to meaning "like the player would wear". Putting game accurate (or sort of game accurate) decals on a Riddell helmet at my kitchen table does not make it Team Issued since the "team" never possessed it. Yet I see this term used to inaccurately and misleadingly describe these objects. Some sellers seem to make their livings passing homemade things off as team issued to individuals that don't understand.