Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TwinLakesPark
    • Nov 2012

What Defines 'Game Used' These Days?

I know we have all talked about it, I know we all have our own opinions, and god knows the players have their own opinions on defining "Game Used"; however this one gave me a good laugh in the airport yesterday. So add your own caption here to the following photo, how is this chair game used?
    Attached Files
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

Re: What Defines 'Game Used' These Days?

Originally posted by TwinLakesPark
    I know we have all talked about it, I know we all have our own opinions, and god knows the players have their own opinions on defining "Game Used"; however this one gave me a good laugh in the airport yesterday. So add your own caption here to the following photo, how is this chair game used?
    Remove the word "game" and it's good to go. Even if he took the chair on the field, sat in it, and then called it game used, still not legit.
    Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• War Helmets
      • Feb 2014

I needed a good laugh this morning One question I have is Game used vs Team Issued that sellers or auction houses often put in the listing.For an exaple Joe Montana one of the best no doubt or Don Mattingly my favorite all time players.Jerseys or helmets or bats they made for them that they just never got around to using.The tagging & specs looks correct ect but it looks like it has never seen a locker room and the jersey is in mint condition with not one thread out of place like it has been sitting in a closet with a dry cleaning bag over it or a helmet or bat that doesn't have one tiny scratch.I know the teams have charity auctions of star players gear also.I imagine these days a star player only uses a jersey for one single game these days while back in the day a player could have used a jersey for an entire season or multiple games but always made more jerseys for the stars.Thoughts on Game used vs Team issued?

Comment

• War Helmets
        • Feb 2014

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...1&d=1484326019 Here is great example.This is a jersey I am interested in a Raiders jersey of the great hall of famer Ted "Mad Stork" Hendricks a 4X Super Bowl winner also.He was a great hard hitting Linebacker & probably still has the NFL record for the most blocked punts & field goals to this day with his 6-7 frame & long arms.This jerseys checks out but doesn't have a single thread out of place or stain and looks to have never seen a locker room
        Attached Files

Comment

• War Helmets
          • Feb 2014

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...1&d=1484328179 Has a COA for the autograph but not "game used" as you can tell this jersey is minty.The price of $1,500 is pretty reasonable is why I am maybe interested.A real gamer of his is worth $5,000 & up.Any thoughts jersey guys?
          Attached Files

Comment

• carbonrosa
            • Jun 2012

I always felt this way with player locker name tags. Cool extra to own but game used? It's a name plate. I'll never forget asking the price for a Mike Trout locker name tag. I forgot the team but he wanted $500 for a Mike Trout Locker tag that was printed in color on a plain piece of paper and cut to fit. Really? When the guy emailed me the picture I laughed so hard but then felt sad for the guy who will pay that since it does say Mike Trout with a MLB sticker on it but a plain piece of paper that cost 75 cents to print.

Comment

• War Helmets
              • Feb 2014

And the jersey has the proper pre MacGregor Sand Knit tagging for the early 80's and is a size 50.I looked at some of his gamers sold over the years and that was his size.The name plate looks a little shaky though .To new collectors of this great hobby you have to be extra careful and do your homework as there are crooks out there trying to make quick bucks or people or auction houses that don't know about what they are selling and assume its "game used" no mater the sport or item or team.There are some great experts on this website that know what is what for advice

Comment

• War Helmets
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by carbonrosa
                I always felt this way with player locker name tags. Cool extra to own but game used? It's a name plate. I'll never forget asking the price for a Mike Trout locker name tag. I forgot the team but he wanted $500 for a Mike Trout Locker tag that was printed in color on a plain piece of paper and cut to fit. Really? When the guy emailed me the picture I laughed so hard but then felt sad for the guy who will pay that since it does say Mike Trout with a MLB sticker on it but a plain piece of paper that cost 75 cents to print.
                That is what I am taking about you have to really do your homework and not be afraid to ask for advice from fellow collectors.Some might get worried that if you do someone might try to snatch their highly desired item in a bidding war

Comment

• coxfan
                  • Feb 2009

What s next on "game-used" definitions? The tires on a player's car when he drove to the game?

I think most collectors have stricter definitions of "game-used" than do some sellers. Personally, if the rules don't require it, it doesn't meet my definition.

Comment

• memorabiliaunlimited
                    • Oct 2013

maybe he used the chair to play games in the clubhouse? then it would technically be "game used" ha. most likely, the only thing fulmer used that chair for was to sit his a** in before and after games. some ROY a** sweat to the highest bidder!

also in agreement on the locker tags. i think lineup cards fall in the same category, though some obvious differences and i think definitely more valuable.

i dont think anything should be called "game used" unless it was actually "used" (saw game action) by a player during the game, out on the field. my opinion.

Comment

• R_Aaronson
                      • Jul 2011

So what is the term for a jersey that a starting pitcher wears on his non-starting days, just sitting in the dugout?

Comment

• dangerzone79
                        • Mar 2013

Tough subject. I personally don't think anything should be called game used unless it was actually used on field during a MAJOR LEAGUE baseball game. I only care about baseball which is why I'm using MLB as an example. If a player who was on the bench the whole game, like a utility player or starting pitcher on his non pitching day, or a coach, these things must not be deemed "game used". I don't even like minor league things being signed game used, but it's a tiny but more acceptable. I would like minor league stuff to be specified, personally. Nothing from a locker room, or dugout, bullpen, front office, parking lot etc should be classified GU. It cheapens the entire sport & every team that does it. Greedily squeezing MORE money out of us fans, who sincerely love the game.

Comment

• dangerzone79
                          • Mar 2013

Team Issued. No question.

Originally posted by R_Aaronson
                          So what is the term for a jersey that a starting pitcher wears on his non-starting days, just sitting in the dugout?

Comment

• 3arod13
                            • Apr 2006

I honestly don't understand why it's so difficult for people to understand the definition of game used. With two outs and a man on first, a player comes up to bat with a brand new bat, doesn't receive one pitch, because the pitcher threw out the man on first for the third out. The bat is a game used bat.
                            Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• coxfan
                              • Feb 2009

We all have our definitions. I consider an item available at a game for official use in a game to be "game-ready". That would apply equally to the uniform of a substitute who doesn't come in, as to a new ball in the umpire's bucket that isn't thrown in.

I regard "team-used" as something used to help with a game, but not required by the rules. This would include practice balls, as well as the dugout lineup cards ( not the official batting-order cards, which are game-used because they're official). A ball that's used in a game, then later for BP, goes through all three definitions in time.

Comment

Working...