PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up NFL Auctions "Game Uused" Footballs

yanks12025
01-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Just wanted to give a heads up to people who may buy some game used footballs from NFL Auctions, some make be practice balls. I bought a Cardinals one last week listed as game used on 10/17. After getting the ball, I"m pretty certain it wasn't used during the game but probably for pre game warm ups. It was missing the number under the logo(refs mark the game balls 1-12 for each team) and it was missing a referee mark. So the ball wasn't approved for game used. It also came with a cert from PSA stating game used and obviously that isn't correct.

I couldn't tell in the photo listing last week because the PSA cert card was in the way of where the number under the logo should have been. NFL Auctions is refunding me my money.

There is a new listing for another one also

http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=1611663&pgmode2=team

RaidernatioN
01-21-2017, 08:36 PM
What if the ball had the number under the logo and no other referee marks like on the ends? Do some game balls not get any other markings except for under logo?

yanks12025
01-21-2017, 09:28 PM
I've only seen balls with both the number and referee marks. Now I'm referring only to footballs with the logos that started after 2015.

RaidernatioN
01-22-2017, 08:46 AM
The Salute to Service Raiders balls they are selling only have the number under the logo. The one I just bought last week is a 'b12' with no other markings whatsoever. The ball does show dirt stains though. They currently have another one for sale signed by DJ Hayden that only has a 'b9' I believe. These are from the Broncos Sunday night game this year and it wasn't cheap so if what you're saying is true I may want to contact them also. I flew from Philly to Oakland for the game with my wife and that's why I spent what I did. Let me know your thoughts.

yanks12025
01-22-2017, 02:47 PM
The Salute to Service Raiders balls they are selling only have the number under the logo. The one I just bought last week is a 'b12' with no other markings whatsoever. The ball does show dirt stains though. They currently have another one for sale signed by DJ Hayden that only has a 'b9' I believe. These are from the Broncos Sunday night game this year and it wasn't cheap so if what you're saying is true I may want to contact them also. I flew from Philly to Oakland for the game with my wife and that's why I spent what I did. Let me know your thoughts.

I have no idea about those. Im sure its fine because it has the atleast one of the markings on it. My post was more about footballs that have no markings at all.

RaidernatioN
01-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Just to follow up... I reached out to NFL Auctions and below is the response I got this morning.

Not all game used footballs will have game markings on them by the ref. The Raiders sent these game used footballs into NFL Auction, they were PSA DNA authenticated as well.

For future bidding, please note that not all game used footballs on the NFL Auction site will have ref markings on them.

Thank you,
NFL Auction

Hope this helps anyone that was questioning balls being sold by NFL Auctions. -Dom

yanks12025
01-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Just to follow up... I reached out to NFL Auctions and below is the response I got this morning.

Not all game used footballs will have game markings on them by the ref. The Raiders sent these game used footballs into NFL Auction, they were PSA DNA authenticated as well.

For future bidding, please note that not all game used footballs on the NFL Auction site will have ref markings on them.

Thank you,
NFL Auction

Hope this helps anyone that was questioning balls being sold by NFL Auctions. -Dom

They sent me the same response. But as in my football case when you look at all game photos and see all the footballs have markings. Then something is up with mine having no markings. So clearly there was a mess up with pre game footballs being called game used.

yanks12025
01-23-2017, 11:39 AM

Thank you,
NFL Auction

Also I think the referee mark on yours is the B for Clete Blakeman because he was the head ref for the broncos raiders game. Then if you look at the chiefs football they have listed. It has B9 and also 135 wrote on the ball. So it was probably used in two games because Blakeman was the head ref on 10/23. Then the 135 is for Peter Morelli who was the ref on 10/16(chiefs raiders).

Abzk01
01-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Also I think the referee mark on yours is the B for Clete Blakeman because he was the head ref for the broncos raiders game. Then if you look at the chiefs football they have listed. It has B9 and also 135 wrote on the ball. So it was probably used in two games because Blakeman was the head ref on 10/23. Then the 135 is for Peter Morelli who was the ref on 10/16(chiefs raiders).
That is 100% incorrect. The "B" stands for "Backup"
http://operations.nfl.com/the-game/gameday-behind-the-scenes/nfl-game-ball-procedures/
"For these randomly selected games only, the back-up footballs will be used for each team during the second half."

yanks12025
01-23-2017, 02:33 PM
That is 100% incorrect. The "B" stands for "Backup"
http://operations.nfl.com/the-game/gameday-behind-the-scenes/nfl-game-ball-procedures/
"For these randomly selected games only, the back-up footballs will be used for each team during the second half."

I disagree. I don't think the balls would be marked with a B. If they were, we'd see a lot more marked B. But what are the odds the only ones marked with a B are when Blakeman is the head ref.

Abzk01
01-23-2017, 02:42 PM
I disagree. I don't think the balls would be marked with a B. If they were, we'd see a lot more marked B. But what are the odds the only ones marked with a B are when Blakeman is the head ref.

OK sure because you say so! :rolleyes:

RaidernatioN
01-23-2017, 03:54 PM
I think the backup ball theory makes the most sense. So balls 1 through 12 are removed at halftime and balls B1 through B12 are used for the second half. The reason there are no additional ref markings on the ends is because they were only used for this game and then sent to NFL auction.

Thanks for the conversation it's interesting to see what other guys thoughts are.

yanks12025
01-23-2017, 04:17 PM
OK sure because you say so! :rolleyes:

So you're right because you say so? Your link just says they have backup balls, nothing about backup balls being marked with a B.

Abzk01
01-23-2017, 05:02 PM
I think the backup ball theory makes the most sense. So balls 1 through 12 are removed at halftime and balls B1 through B12 are used for the second half. The reason there are no additional ref markings on the ends is because they were only used for this game and then sent to NFL auction.

Thanks for the conversation it's interesting to see what other guys thoughts are.
It's not a theory. I've literally asked a few NFL equipment managers. You will never see A1, C1, D9, etc just 1-12 or B1 - B12. Kicker balls have a "K" imprinted on it not written in sharpie. Just look at Getty Images.

If a ball is used for a subsequent game, additional marking which are usually numbers are added to the tip of the football. That's why you see some footballs with numerous numbers on the tip, never see a number 13 or greater, and I'm pretty certain every ball inspector or referee doesn't have a first or last name beginning with a "B" LMFAO at that "theory".

yanks12025
01-23-2017, 05:10 PM
It's not a theory. I've literally asked a few NFL equipment managers. You will never see A1, C1, D9, etc just 1-12 or B1 - B12. Kicker balls have a "K" imprinted on it not written in sharpie. Just look at Getty Images.

If a ball is used for a subsequent game, additional marking which are usually numbers are added to the tip of the football. That's why you see some footballs with numerous numbers on the tip, never see a number 13 or greater, and I'm pretty certain every ball inspector or referee doesn't have a first or last name beginning with a "B" LMFAO at that "theory".

LOL.... I never said every ball inspector or referee has a first or last name beginning with B. I just pointed out all 3 footballs that have the "B" before the number, the head ref who would be marking the balls that game was Clete Blackman. So please show me a football that has B before the number that wasn't used during a Clete Blackman game.

yanks12025
01-23-2017, 05:21 PM

Also say your theory is correct that the B stands for backup. Wouldn't RaidernatioN's football have a separate referee mark on the corner of the ball then?

yanks12025
01-23-2017, 05:35 PM

I went and looked at more getty images and I believe you're correct about the B now because I see footballs marked with Clete Blakeman's number 34 on the end.

Abzk01
01-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Also say your theory is correct that the B stands for backup. Wouldn't RaidernatioN's football have a separate referee mark on the corner of the ball then?

TBH, I don't think any "B" Football was used during that game. Game ball #10 or #12 has a 34 on the tip as does #5. If they used ball #10/12 and #5, that means the B set didn't see game play. It's possible they were warmup balls and likely uninspected. Based on the warm up technicality it's likely a game used for warmup. I didn't see any "B" balls for the Broncos either. If you can find warmup pictures, I bet you'd see a few "B" or unmarked balls.

RaidernatioN
01-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Also this was the only Salute To Service game the Raiders played in while other teams are listed more than once.

Abzk01
01-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Also this was the only Salute To Service game the Raiders played in while other teams are listed more than once.

NFL game balls are all broken in prior to being used in games. The team never has 12 brand new balls, they are all used in practice and see a significant amount of use as game balls are hand picked practice balls. Even though the StS game is only 1 game, there still should be some decent use from being broken in. The laces should be brown and so on. I haven't seen your ball but I have some 1 off game balls that all show good use and they would have only been usable in 1 game.

RaidernatioN
01-23-2017, 06:31 PM
It shows heavy use and yes the laces are dirty as well.

yanks12025
01-23-2017, 06:47 PM
This is really disappointing that the NFL and also PSA/DNA doesn't have a better procedure for game used footballs. Some of these balls are being sold as game used when intact they're practice used. Hopefully one day they will be like the MLB and have someone right there after the game mark the footballs correctly.

Abzk01
01-23-2017, 08:05 PM
It shows heavy use and yes the laces are dirty as well.

The only question that really needs to be asked and answered is... Is it legal to use a football in an NFL game without rule b. "Upon approval, each game ball and back-up ball will be stamped with the Referee’s distinctive mark at the corners of each non-insignia panel. "

IMO the answer is No.

If rule e. Is followed "All game ball information will be recorded on the Referee’s Report, which must be submitted to the League office by noon on the day following the game", you should be able to request a copy or confirmation on what balls were used and approved.

RaidernatioN
01-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Another update on this... they are sending me a prepaid label to return the football. I told them that I wasn't satisfied that this was used during the game and that I wasn't paying $450 for a practice or pregame ball.

Buyers beware... if you cant trust NFL Auction who can you really trust. I agree they need to tighten up labeling items right as they come off the field and not assuming game use.

Thanks for all the discussion guys. I hope this thread possibly opened some eyes.

yanks12025
01-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Another update on this... they are sending me a prepaid label to return the football. I told them that I wasn't satisfied that this was used during the game and that I wasn't paying $450 for a practice or pregame ball.

Buyers beware... if you cant trust NFL Auction who can you really trust. I agree they need to tighten up labeling items right as they come off the field and not assuming game use.

Thanks for all the discussion guys. I hope this thread possibly opened some eyes.

The head guy at Nfl auctions told me they will look into it after the pro bowl. But I guess the teams sign papers stating they're game used. So probably more the teams fault then Nfl auctions.

Abzk01
01-24-2017, 02:49 PM

I'm glad you got this resolved. I did find 3 days worth of practice pictures where they were using StS balls which likely explains the use on the one you purchased.

http://www.raiders.com/media-vault/photo-gallery/Oakland-Raiders-Begin-Prep-For-Denver-Wednesday-Practice-/3007b757-879f-4a33-b0e7-ea80218337dd#start

http://www.raiders.com/media-vault/photo-gallery/Oakland-Raiders-Continue-Prep-For-Broncos-Thursday-Practice/033c19d9-e82e-4d02-99a8-416cdf909d0b

http://www.raiders.com/media-vault/photo-gallery/Oakland-Raiders-Finalize-Plans-For-Denver-Friday-Practice/455b6706-f862-4fa4-beae-b4141c190853

RaidernatioN
01-24-2017, 05:03 PM
The head guy at Nfl auctions told me they will look into it after the pro bowl. But I guess the teams sign papers stating they're game used. So probably more the teams fault then Nfl auctions.

Yea Pete Q. was included on all correspondence regarding this. What's crazy is there's a 'b9' ball for sale right now on their site and currently at $615 with over 5 days left. They should really take it off.

Thanks again guys.

yanks12025
01-25-2017, 11:40 AM
I was able to email a current NFL ref and he did confirm B stands for backup.

jeriley23
01-25-2017, 04:27 PM
they are currently selling past super bowl balls as game used. I can't see any markings on the ball at all. What would be the likelihood that this is not game used?

RaidernatioN
01-25-2017, 04:49 PM
I would stay away.

yanks12025
01-25-2017, 05:04 PM
they are currently selling past super bowl balls as game used. I can't see any markings on the ball at all. What would be the likelihood that this is not game used?

I have seen some of them with markings near the Roger G signature. But thits not bright silver numbers. The ones I saw were either stamped/sharpie ref numbers. But remember, back in Super Bowl 48 and prior the NFL probably wasn't as strict to the balls until the Pats got caught.

jeriley23
01-25-2017, 11:31 PM
I have seen some of them with markings near the Roger G signature. But thits not bright silver numbers. The ones I saw were either stamped/sharpie ref numbers. But remember, back in Super Bowl 48 and prior the NFL probably wasn't as strict to the balls until the Pats got caught.

just wondering if you had a choice for the "other" team's stamped Super Bowl football would you buy it even though it wasn't your teams?

RaidernatioN
01-26-2017, 12:55 PM
*Update*

Just got the FEDEX return label from NFL Auction with an apology letter. Ball is going back in the AM. It's unfortunate it had to come to this but I respect them for understanding. Even though it says 'All sales are final' on the website, it looks like they will work with you if something appears off.

Best of luck to everyone.

Dom

RaidernatioN
09-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Hey all,

Wanted to update you that NFL Auctions has relisted this ball in question once again as game used. It's the exact same one I bought and sent back. Buyers still beware!!!

There aren't any game balls from that game with a 'b' before the number.

Dom