PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With This Palmeiro Jersey On Ebay

Cubanfan
12-26-2005, 08:29 PM
:cool: Anyone have any thoughts on this jersey?A fellow Forum Member speaks highly of the seller.The jersey was sold last year in Grey Flannel's Auction and now is on the market again.I'm looking to add him to my Cuban born player collection.Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8740750702&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

Carlos

kingjammy24
12-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Here's a 'point of interest' about this jersey:
The "E" and "R" in "Palmeiro" are differently weighted
fonts than the rest of the letters in Palmeiro. Neat!
It's all the same font, "E" and "R" are just non-condensed
whereas "PALMIO" are condensed. See how the E
and R are thicker than the rest?

At any rate, can someone please confirm whether this
jersey should be Meigray tagged?

Cubanfan: If I were you, I'd email Barry at MeiGray
(www.meigray.com (http://www.meigray.com)) and get it straight from the horse's
mouth.

Rudy.

Swoboda4
12-29-2005, 09:52 PM
We used to be a lot more boisterous at the old site when a member had a legitimate concern like this one. We used to chew at the problem,bending rules but not breaking them. In the memory of the " old school" GameUsed Forum.Com,didn't we discuss a recent problem(and straighten me out if I missed something)with Grey Flannel. Weren't they found guilty on "The Peoples Court" on TV this summer of calling a Ripken -turn back the clock-jersey game used when the game wasn't even played. They said in court,and I saw this show,that they took the word of Ripkens driver that he used it. I'm not making this up. Grey Flannel went on TV(hopefully it wasn't for the $1.200 appearance fee)with this as their evidence. There's 20 something hours left to this auction,Eric correct me if I'm wrong.

Eric
12-29-2005, 10:36 PM
We used to be a lot more boisterous at the old site when a member had a legitimate concern like this one. We used to chew at the problem,bending rules but not breaking them. In the memory of the " old school" GameUsed Forum.Com,didn't we discuss a recent problem(and straighten me out if I missed something)with Grey Flannel. Weren't they found guilty on "The Peoples Court" on TV this summer of calling a Ripken -turn back the clock-jersey game used when the game wasn't even played. They said in court,and I saw this show,that they took the word of Ripkens driver that he used it. I'm not making this up. Grey Flannel went on TV(hopefully it wasn't for the $1.200 appearance fee)with this as their evidence. There's 20 something hours left to this auction,Eric correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's the article from the New York Daily News about Grey Flannel and the People's Court written by Michael O'Keeffe.

Lots of Grey area in game-worn rip-offs

By Michael O'Keeffe
New York Daily News

Justice may be blind, Grey Flannel president Richard Russek recently learned, but it certainly knows when a letter of authenticity ain't worth a damn.

Grey Flannel, the Long Island sports memorabilia house, bills itself as the world's foremost authenticator of game-used jerseys, but Judge Marilyn Milian issued a sharp dissent in a July 7 broadcast of "The People's Court."

"The Case of the Ripken Rip-off" began when collector John Cherpock bought what dealer Sean Ford claimed was a Cal Ripken game-used retro jersey tailored for the second game of the Orioles' July 18, 2001, doubleheader with the Texas Rangers. Cherpock paid $2,475 for the jersey, which was accompanied by a letter of authenticity from Grey Flannel.

"I wouldn't have bought it without the letter from Grey Flannel," Cherpock said.

Six months later, Cherpock consigned the jersey to Robert Edward Auctions. The New Jersey auction sent it back because, contrary to Grey Flannel's LOA, the second game of the doubleheader was canceled thanks to a chemical spill that shut down parts of downtown Baltimore.

Cherpock told Russek and Grey Flannel CEO Howard Rosenkrantz he wanted them to reimburse him for the $2,475. Grey Flannel was liable, Cherpock says, because it issued the letter vouching for the jersey. "This is why people pay premiums for certificates, because they hold themselves out as experts," Cherpock says. Russek and Rosenkrantz offered Cherpock the $400 Ford had spent to get the jersey authenticated. Cherpock filed suit in Nassau County small-claims court, but agreed to bring the case to TV when contacted by The People's Court producers.

"Even if I lost, I would have let the public know what kind of guys they are," he says.

Before Judge Milian, Russek admitted his company had erred. But he said Grey Flannel didn't owe Cherpock the $2,475 because Cherpock didn't hire Grey Flannel. Besides, he added, a disclaimer on the bottom of the certificate of authenticity was just opinion.

Russek said Grey Flannel thought it had reliable sources for its opinion - a letter from a limo driver who said Ripken gave him the jersey and a letter from a guy named Charles Jeffrey - but he later acknowledged he didn't even have a letter from the driver.

"Let me talk to you about negligence," the judge said. "There are two types of negligence. There's plain old simple negligences, and then there is negligence that is so out there, that is so bad, that is so wrong, that it is gross negligence...it takes two seconds to just find out if the game even ended up being played on the date and time you are certifying."

Milian then went ballistic: "What you have is just a paragraph signed by some schmo named Charles Jeffrey with no address, no phone number!" she screamed.

By the end of the show, Russek looked like a whipped dog. "This is what gives the memorabilia business the bad reputation that it enjoys right now," the exit interviewer told him.

"Yeah, well listen, in almost all cases we're correct," Russek countered. "We made a mistake. The judge ruled. What can I say?"

"Yeah, but gross negligence," the interviewer added. "You didn't even try."

Cubanfan
12-30-2005, 07:12 AM
:rolleyes: Thanks for the thoughts.If the seller would have a return policy, I am always more comfortable bidding on an item.I have a tough time spending a few hundreds dollars on a jersey and not being able to return it if not happy.Happy New Year .

Swoboda4
12-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Carlos- Theres 12 hours left to this auction. Nothing against this seller,his reputation is good. It's where the jersey originates from that were debating. And when you debate on an item and its not resolved,you always look at the item on your wall and wonder if it's real- and there's no worse feeling(we've all experienced this). I would call Meigray,forget about e-mailing at this stage and get a 1,000% OK on this item from them,meaning they look at the photos like we do. Otherwise I would let Greyflannel build back their reputation at someone else's expense.
Robert

worldchamps
12-30-2005, 10:04 AM
The Rangers attach a piece of material with a serial number to all game used jersey. It is a 5 or 6 digit number. If you look at the MeiGray jerseys you can see this. The only way a jersey would not have it, is if the players were sneeking them out, or ordering extra stock jerseys. Palmeiro wore at least 7 jerseys the game he hit 500......it also took him a while to get from 499 to 500...so he was doing this for a lot of games. If you want to be 100% sure your jersey is game worn, I would buy one with the "Rangers serial number" on it.

There are a lot of HR bats, jeresys, etc of Palmeiro that are 100% legit on the autograph....but if you do some research you will realize they are the wrong color bat that was used when such HR was hit.

With the steriod label on him, you should be able to get him cheap. I have a game used bat I would be more than happy to get rid of.

kingjammy24
12-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Regarding the 5-digit inventory number sewn in by the Rangers, to my knowledge, this only began in 2002. That is, I don't think you should find this inventory tagging on jerseys before 2002.

Personally, I would be very interested and appreciative if Barry could post regarding when exactly Meigray entered into their initial agreement with the Texas Rangers and exactly when they began to exclusively acquire the Rangers jerseys. Was it prior to 2002? If not, does that mean that Meigray acquired all of the Rangers jerseys for 2002-2005?

Rudy.

BarryMeisel
01-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi Rudy and Everybody,

Back in the office ...

We signed our first agreement with the Rangers in December 2001, and began marketing Texas' game-worn jerseys, primarily from 1998-2001. We also had a small handful of jerseys from 1996 and 1997, but very few.

We sewed a Texas Rangers Collection tag into the jerseys after they were worn, as per our agreement with the Rangers. The team warranted that they sold us every jersey they had, but obviously there could have been others that left their possession before our deal with them.

What is certain is that EVERY jersey we marketed had a Texas Rangers Collection tag in the tail.

From 2002-current, the Rangers have warranted to us that they sewed an inventory tag into every game-worn jersey marketed through our deal. Our deal is exclusive through the game-worn industry, but there are other jerseys that we don't get (promotional jerseys, charitable contributions, jerseys given to team staff, etc). Those, however, also have inventory tags.

Does there exist a game-worn jersey that does not have a Texas Rangers inventory tag? It is possible, of course, but highly unlikely. For that to have happened, a player or some other staffer would have had to work a non-inventory tagged jersey into the locker room, worn it, and then removed it from the locker room.

According to the team, they tag every jersey that is prepared for use by, and eventually worn by, the team. They have done so since 2002.

Furthermore, I can attest based on the inventory we have received, that these jerseys were well-worn and photo-matched to multiple games.

Hope this helps,

Barry

game-used-bat
01-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Barry,

I had a question for you regarding the Rangers jerseys worn for the Red Cross fundraiser after Hurrican Katrina. I have a few of these jerseys and none have the inventory tag. All are MLB authenticated, are year tagged "2005", have the Oates "26" memorial patch, and are signed. Do they add the inventory tag after you reach a deal, or before the jerseys are worn? Also, do you guys have a deal for the 2005 jerseys?

Thanks,

Chris
713-385-1155
www.eGameUsed.com (http://www.eGameUsed.com)
ccboyd@houston.rr.com