PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady Super Bowl jersey stolen??

bgakladd
02-06-2017, 12:33 AM
I am starting to see reports that Tom Brady had his Patriots Super Bowl jersey come up missing after the game. Anybody else see this report?

bgakladd
02-06-2017, 12:36 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/06/tom-bradys-jersey-went-missing-after-the-game/

Swoboda4
02-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Yes, just read it this morning. If we keep paying attention we should eventually spot it (if anyone would). Especially any Patriot collectors out there. My guess is that the person(s) is scared and didn't bank on Tom reacting aggressively as he did towards the theft(as he should however) and won't move it anytime soon. They can't publicly sell it now. And unless the thief is the collector and with the pressure still on, I would venture a guess that they're going to pretend they found it and "heroically" return it. As long as Tom keeps mentioning the theft, no one will dare move it. But that's what you want, you want the jersey to become too hot to handle-so the only option is to "find it" and return it.

Swoboda4
02-06-2017, 07:35 AM
If Syndergaard's WS game 3 first pitch realized over 20K (I believe) this jersey starts at 25K, so Tom should offer a reward; keep the pressure on. This is different than the usual theft in public however, it's someone who had access to the locker room. Review the tapes as they say.

KGoldin
02-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Bloomberg contacted me for an estimate on this and I told them if stolen it's worth nothing, as its stolen property.
If recovered and authenticated its $250,000
Think that's low?

This is not the first time or even second time his jerseys have been stolen from the locker room or patriots care

akrover
02-06-2017, 09:18 AM
He just talked about this on his WEEI interview. He almost insinuated someone in the media took it when he went to get his eye black off. He then said that "the same thing happened two years ago too." Then followed it up with, "It sucks, but oh well." So, it sounds like his last two super bowl jerseys were stolen (unless he just meant a random game, but why would he remember that from two years ago)? And he didn't mention getting the other one back. So maybe, like art, there is some underground black market.

Also, I would think more than 250k, no? Unprecedented 5th super Bowl winning jersey from the greatest player ever. I guess where his career isn't over it is hard to know where it ends up, but no one will ever forget that Super Bowl.

seanbaseball
02-06-2017, 09:46 AM
I think it would go for over $250k. I think Tom should offer a reward and then auction it at Goldin for charity.

KGoldin
02-06-2017, 09:53 AM
I edited my estimate to $300k-500k
I try to be conservative!!

Wally_Fischer
02-06-2017, 10:16 AM
I could see a big Pats collector having a locker room attendant grab it and giving the attendant (making $50k year?) $100k. Like Tom used to give those deflate locker attendants memorabilia to do so.

Swoboda4
02-06-2017, 10:23 AM
You guys are right with the money/value aspect.....As far as who took it (and don't laugh at anyone as a suspect, and I mean anyone) I'm trying to look for video from the locker room celebration and I cant find any. A lot of video from on the field, wearing the official T-shirt stuff, but the locker room video seems to be difficult to find. Again anyone, player included. If not an opportunist; and if it was planned. I would look for someone who over dressed (jacket) for the weather, because walking out with the jersey under a jacket/hoodie is the easiest,also anyone carrying a bag or box. Listen it's not world's biggest crime, but once found and if it can realize a quarter of a million dollars at worst, it is an incident of some note, with a perp that may surprise you. Where's MLB authentication when you need them?

yanks12025
02-06-2017, 10:54 AM
earlier report said the equipment manager had it. I guess not.

bgakladd
02-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Very interesting...http://m.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Brady-Superbowl-LI-Game-Worn-New-England-Patriots-Jersey-/371859831382?hash=item569492ba56%3Ag%3AfcQAAOSwjDZ YmJWf&_trkparms=pageci%253Ac3a656c7-ec91-11e6-b4d8-74dbd18026a6%257Cparentrq%253A1478d5d815a0a62293ae 6eb4fffc9007%257Ciid%253A13

sorklora
02-06-2017, 12:33 PM
You guys are right with the money/value aspect.....As far as who took it (and don't laugh at anyone as a suspect, and I mean anyone) I'm trying to look for video from the locker room celebration and I cant find any. A lot of video from on the field, wearing the official T-shirt stuff, but the locker room video seems to be difficult to find. Again anyone, player included. If not an opportunist; and if it was planned. I would look for someone who over dressed (jacket) for the weather, because walking out with the jersey under a jacket/hoodie is the easiest,also anyone carrying a bag or box. Listen it's not world's biggest crime, but once found and if it can realize a quarter of a million dollars at worst, it is an incident of some note, with a perp that may surprise you. Where's MLB authentication when you need them?

There won't be any footage inside the locker room as privacy laws would prevent the actual dressing area to be filmed. I'm sure whoever did it had a bag with them and stuffed it in and left, and probably most media members carry some kind of bag or backpack so the likelihood of spotting someone will be tough.

jake33
02-06-2017, 12:36 PM
In state of Texas, theft has a 7-year statute of limitations.... if a theif stole the jersey and waited 7 years to sell it would they get away with that then?

bgakladd
02-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Very interesting...http://m.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Brady-Superbowl-LI-Game-Worn-New-England-Patriots-Jersey-/371859831382?hash=item569492ba56%3Ag%3AfcQAAOSwjDZ YmJWf&_trkparms=pageci%253Ac3a656c7-ec91-11e6-b4d8-74dbd18026a6%257Cparentrq%253A1478d5d815a0a62293ae 6eb4fffc9007%257Ciid%253A13
Oops...guess I didnt read the whole liating...lol.

Samets
02-06-2017, 12:48 PM

Troll level: Expert.

Swoboda4
02-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Interesting that the ebay seller is risking a 9,000+ 100% positive rating for a joke.

Swoboda4
02-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Well, since there's no media video that was taken after the victory inside the locker room(YOU SURE NO SURVEILLANCE VIDEO round half-domed cameras on the wall inside?) -there is surveillance video in the hallway outside the door to the locker room. Just watch Brady walk in and a account for everyone walking out after that. There is surveillance security video outside, if not inside the locker room.

KGoldin
02-06-2017, 01:39 PM
In state of Texas, theft has a 7-year statute of limitations.... if a theif stole the jersey and waited 7 years to sell it would they get away with that then?

THEFT AS A CRIME may have 7 year statute
STOLEN PROPERTY is always stolen however, even 100 years later

KGoldin
02-06-2017, 01:41 PM
THE NEWS

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-06/brady-s-missing-super-bowl-jersey-could-get-500-000-at-auction

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/02/06/tom-bradys-game-jersey-disappears-after-super-bowl-win.html

http://nypost.com/2017/02/06/tom-bradys-jersey-is-still-stolen-and-worth-500k/

Swoboda4
02-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Wait a minute. Now I'm reading Brady put the jersey inside his travel bag after he took it off (didn't leave it draped over a chair) and then went about conducting interviews and trophy celebrations. A guy who's celebrating an improbable comeback, the only overtime victory in Super Bowl history, sticking it to Goodell, reaffirming his place in NFL history-and he decides to conduct a quality assurance check in his bag moments later? Something doesn't sound right. Was there a contracted agreement for this jersey by anyone?

akrover
02-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Wait a minute. Now I'm reading Brady put the jersey inside his travel bag after he took it off (didn't leave it draped over a chair) and then went about conducting interviews and trophy celebrations. A guy who's celebrating an improbable comeback, the only overtime victory in Super Bowl history, sticking it to Goodell, reaffirming his place in NFL history-and he decides to conduct a quality assurance check in his bag moments later? Something doesn't sound right. Was there a contracted agreement for this jersey by anyone?

He put the jersey in his equipment bag with all his other stuff. Then he went to take his eye black off. He then came back, when he went to put something else in his bag he noticed the jersey was gone. It was only a few minutes later.

And don't the players usually get the Super Bowl jerseys to your latter question? I feel like the only Pats super bowl jersey that I have seen sold was Corey Dillon's and that originated from him.

Swoboda4
02-06-2017, 05:01 PM
MLB players don't own the jersey, the team bought it-you wear it-they sell it. Anyone know that it's different in the NFL?

Swoboda4
02-06-2017, 05:02 PM
What something else, did he put in his bag?

Swoboda4
02-06-2017, 06:24 PM
THEFT AS A CRIME may have 7 year statute
STOLEN PROPERTY is always stolen however, even 100 years later

Correct. When the jersey is found on someone (not in the process of returning it), it could be a charge of Criminal Possession of Stolen Property, of which every state has a penal law statute of.

Juicyfruit66
02-06-2017, 07:22 PM
call me jaded but does Brady have the rights to the jersey or does the NFL have the rights to it? Cause I have a feeling if he doesn't own it, it's a pretty nice way to give his boss the middle finger by tucking that baby away and out of the paws of the NFL. Especially if he had it "go missing" a couple years back, why risk it again? I bet if you snuck into Brady's house you'd find a hidden room with all his "missing" gear. But I'm an untrusting human being :)

mad87man
02-06-2017, 09:37 PM
call me jaded but does Brady have the rights to the jersey or does the NFL have the rights to it? Cause I have a feeling if he doesn't own it, it's a pretty nice way to give his boss the middle finger by tucking that baby away and out of the paws of the NFL. Especially if he had it "go missing" a couple years back, why risk it again? I bet if you snuck into Brady's house you'd find a hidden room with all his "missing" gear. But I'm an untrusting human being :)

The teams buy their jerseys directly from Nike so the patriots own it. If the players want them, they buy it from the team. Usually they get their super bowl jerseys though.

emann
02-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Assume Bob Kraft would allow Tom Brady to take whatever he wanted home after that game--he doesn't need to swipe it. I also think as a general rule if a star player wants something like his jersey from a game, the teams are not going to bill them $200 for it. They just don't care . . .

emann
02-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Btw; nice coverage Ken, I'very seen your quote a few times today . . .

Juicyfruit66
02-07-2017, 02:06 AM
Wasnt sure if teams owned them or nfl did, yeah makes a difference then. Oh well, at least now it wont get cut up into a million pieces and sold to card collectors. I hope the thief gets a nice display case for it

Swoboda4
02-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Well lets go about this a different way; does anyone know if Patriots Super Bowl 51 jerseys were going to be sold, or were going to be up for auction soon thereafter? This is important. The 2015 Mets World Series jerseys were NOT given to the players, and MLB collected them after the Series. Unless they were free to keep their jersey, there could be a motive to have it go missing.

Juicyfruit66
02-07-2017, 05:16 PM

Ok good, someone shares my theory.
1) he leaves it unguarded in bag even though it's happened before
2) he makes a point of revealing the theft publically , solidifying his innocence at it going missing

If there was in fact a deal for nfl to sell the jersey , im betting he tucked it away.

KGoldin
02-07-2017, 05:23 PM
TOM BRADY IS NOT GOING TO MAKE HIMSELF TURN INTO RYAN LOCHTE!

I doubt Brady is lying about it being missing

Phil316
02-07-2017, 06:26 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/watch-this-is-the-moment-tom-brady-realized-his-super-bowl-jersey-was-stolen/

Video of Tom Brady the moment he realizes his jersey is missing.

Swoboda4
02-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Oh, it's definitely "missing"; he's not lying about that. If the NFL was letting the players keep the jerseys, then someone other than Brady has it. IF- on the other hand, the jerseys were slated to go up for auction, or sale of some kind, then there's a BETTER chance he quietly gave it to someone to hold for him. Mind you, if it goes up for auction there are people out there who WILL outbid Brady and he stands the chance of never having it but for one day, and it may mean a lot to him. That's why the question of what the NFL was going to do with the jerseys (give it to the players, or sell) is important. It would also take some doing to go into his locker, go into his bag, pull out the jersey, put it where you can walk out it unseen, and have all those people not see any of that. Nothing is impossible in this world however. I just think he has it. These players don't dwell on consequences on matters not football. There are security cameras in the hallway, if not the locker room. So, lets find out who owns the jersey and that will determine if we ever see it again (Theft by non-player it will surface, theft by player-never to be seen again.)

yanks12025
02-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Pretty sure players keep their super bowl jerseys.

Samets
02-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Cool story (http://vplayer.nbcsports.com/p/BxmELC/newengland_embed/select/media/P56Z0emXP_KJ) from Boomer Esiason and he name dropped "Dan Goldin" as well ;)

KGoldin
02-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Cool story (http://vplayer.nbcsports.com/p/BxmELC/newengland_embed/select/media/P56Z0emXP_KJ) from Boomer Esiason and he name dropped "Dan Goldin" as well ;)

He got company name right at least lol

Here is the ESPN episode on stolen jersey I am on

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18638848

Swoboda4
02-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Great articles all w/Ken, and Boomer spoke well of the hobby comparing it to collecting art. There's a new article out telling of the initial steps of the investigation where they have a time frame in which the jersey was taken. There's no surveillance cameras in the locker room but there is in the hallway outside. Whether the camera gives a good vantage point of who goes in and out of the door would be good. But even a camera not covering the door, but showing the hallway, is of value for showing during that time frame for example someone moving like they just discovered plutonium, or carrying something, or holding something under a jacket. You still have to find out if the players were going to keep their jerseys. But with the immediate notification to find it that was not expected, the person may have panicked and the jersey may very well still be there, behind a locker room soda machine, in an adjacent office placed inside a drop ceiling, any place. And that wouldn't be seen on surveillance.

Jags Fan Dan
02-08-2017, 07:41 PM
If he knows where it is while law enforcement is looking for it, I'm pretty sure he is obstructing justice.

To switch up the topic: Is provenance of this jersey now in question, as the chain of custody is messed up? I read where Strahan believes his Super Bowl jersey was stolen and swapped for an imposter! I would think Bradys jersey could be photo matched though.

yanks12025
02-08-2017, 08:45 PM
He also said his 2014 Super Bowl jersey was stolen. Did they ever recover that one? Maybe the same person stole both of them

Swoboda4
02-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Well Brady said he put the jersey in his bag, so that seems to indicate the players, or at least he, were keeping the jersey. I find it amazing though that at this point, that the NFL doesn't have an authentication program in place-MLB style. If they do-they're pretty sloppy in collecting said items because the player can hand off some other jersey....Anyone know who's in charge of Patriots game used? Who on the Patriots is a contracted memorabilia signer/attendee at shows/ has sold his items recently to dealers? Remember the not that long ago situation when a Yankee teammate stole Jeter's glove? Takes a lot of b4llz to go into a bag in a locker with everyone there, at the biggest most watched event. Sounding less like media. Well, if found identified properly and vouchered for the case, it will have rock solid provenance never before seen. The signed police paperwork alone will sell in the thousands. $500,000 for the jersey may be an understatement.

Swoboda4
02-08-2017, 08:51 PM
He also said his 2014 Super Bowl jersey was stolen. Did they ever recover that one? Maybe the same person stole both of them

I didn't know that. Not the biggest thing going on in the world this is, but interesting.

akrover
02-13-2017, 08:35 PM
The way Bob Kraft was talking when interviewed about the jersey this weekend makes me think they know who took it. Brady seemed to implicate someone in the media when first asked about it.

I too am curious about the 2014 jersey. I haven't heard any follow up since brady, almost casually, mentioned it. The way he said it certainly sounded like they never got it back. I would guess the same guy took both? I do think the thought that Brsdy took it is laughable, personally.

Kraft's comments:

“It’s very sad to me that someone would do something like this, and it’s like taking a great Chagall or Picasso or something. You can never display it. And somehow, I feel there’ll be some news that’ll clear this up in the not too distant future,” Kraft said via The Boston Herald. “I hope it’ll be cleared up soon. I think that a lot of people spend a lot of time looking into the matter and what happened, and I’d rather not say anything that would cause any problems in the work that’s been done. One way or another that jersey will be back.”

Swoboda4
02-21-2017, 01:42 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/tom-brady-mia-super-bowl-jersey-worth-500k-houston-cops-article-1.2978139

Two questions: Would Brady's jersey be worth 500K if it didn't go missing? Were the players going to keep their Super Bowl jerseys?

It's not laughable if the jersey's were going to be collected at the end of the game for auction, or sale through a contracted dealer, that a player made decide to make that not happen. So when we answer the question as to whether the players were going to keep their jerseys or not, we can get past this.

Jags Fan Dan
02-21-2017, 03:56 PM
I believe its value is tied to it being the most significant jersey Brady ever wore. Biggest, most dramatic comeback in Super Bowl history by the best QB ever (do we still have to say "arguably"?) = $$$$$.

MichaelofSF
02-22-2017, 02:39 PM
From Brady

memorabiliaunlimited
02-22-2017, 04:09 PM
From Brady

LOL. at least brady has a sense of humor about it.

akrover
03-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Brady's 49 and 51 Super Bowl jerseys have both been recovered ourside of the United States. Same individual stole both jerseys.

Phil316
03-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Brady's 49 and 51 Super Bowl jerseys have both been recovered ourside of the United States. Same individual stole both jerseys.

Through the cooperation of the NFL and New England Patriots’ security teams, the FBI and other law enforcement authorities, the Super Bowl LI jersey worn last month by MVP Tom Brady has been recovered. Also retrieved during the ongoing investigation was the jersey Brady wore in the Patriots’ victory in Super Bowl XLIX against the Seattle Seahawks in 2015. The items were found in the possession of a credentialed member of the international media. Due to the ongoing investigation, we would refer any additional questions to the FBI.

It appears they where found in Mexico.

akrover
03-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Crazy that it looks like the NFL is so embarrassed about this they aren't even going to press charges because they just want it to disapear. Dude is going to skate on atleast 3 felonies.

sox83cubs84
03-22-2017, 11:28 PM
One article speculated that there are suspicions that this tool might also have been the guy who swiped Von Miller's helmet from the Broncos' Super Bowl win.

Dave Miedema

bgakladd
04-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Here is an article with my Facebook friend Dylan Wagner, he was interviewed by CBS concerning the missing Tom Brady jersey.http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/04/tom-brady-super-bowl-jerseys-fbi-tip-iteam-exclusive/