PDA

View Full Version : Calling Baltimore Colts Collectors - What Is This?

commando
03-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Hi Collectors,

I love classic durene football jerseys, and that's exactly what this is. Manufactured by Wilson, it features their tagging circa 1967-73 (thanks to the BTPH guide, as always). This long-sleeved, heavy shirt weighs almost a pound and a half. Colts wideout Jimmy Orr signed the shirt, and wore this number from 1961 through 1970.

As far as I can tell, the Colts didn't use this style of numeric font on their sleeves during this era. All the photos I've seen have skinnier sleeve numbers, and the number "2" always seems to have a flat bottom.

So, any ideas? Salesman's sample or practice jersey? Something else? Thank you, everyone!

both-teams-played-hard
03-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Cool shirt.

Only a guess, but a chance that It isn't a Colts jersey (maybe high school or college) Very popular team colors. Maybe other collectors have some thing to add.

Could be a Colts shirt, as they didn't have NOBs to a bout 1969-70.

G1X
03-05-2017, 05:24 PM
The Colts wore MacGregor jerseys in the early part of the 1960s and were wearing Sand Knit from the latter part of the 1960s through the early 1970s. I am not aware of the Colts using Wilson during the era that this particular style of tagging was used, but anything is possible, and I certainly do not have examples from each season that Orr was with the Colts.

As you pointed out, the number font doesn't look quite right, and as Warren pointed out, the Colts did not add names-on-back until 1970. Further, if it was worn in 1969, an outline of the NFL 50th Anniversary patch is typically easily discernible on the left shoulder.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

commando
03-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Thank you, guys... I appreciate the insights and agree with the opinions... Not a Colts gamer, but definitely a beautiful display piece... I will price it accordingly! Best wishes to all -- Anthony

Samets
03-06-2017, 07:26 AM
I have a problem with the Wilson tag. It's not right.

G1X
03-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Samets,

The Wilson tag probably looks a bit off because the "42" appears to be stamped on the jersey instead of being stitched as seen in the first photo below. Everything else is correct about the tag.

Back in that era, it was typical to see the sizes stitched on the tag up to size 46. Anything above a size 46 was blank, and the size was often written into the blank space by hand (see second photo below).

This is the first time that I have seen a Wilson football jersey from that era with the size stamped on the tag, but my guess is that there are others out there.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Samets
03-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Mark,

The reason it looks odd is that it's clearly not a stitched Wilson tag. It kinda looks like something Wilson did in the late 80's and early 90's...

Your examples are right on the money as the correct type.

G1X
03-07-2017, 11:23 PM
Samets,

There are printed variations of the Wilson tag from that era where the Wilson lettering, vertical line, and size number are not stitched. See the below photo that I borrowed from the Wilson Tag Primer in GUU Forums at this link http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8660

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Samets
03-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Mark: No doubt about printed variations. The tag itself appears plastic like the ones Wilson produced in the late 80's.

Commando: Can you please post a better picture of the tag in question?

At this point it's an educational discussion.

G1X
03-10-2017, 02:22 AM
Rusty,

Take a close look at the third photo in the opening post by Anthony. To my eyes, it looks like the typical cloth style patch that Wilson used. Three of the corners are curling, especially the top left. To get a better look, copy the photo and put it in a Word document which can be blown up quite a bit while retaining clarity.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

G1X
03-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Swapped emails with Anthony and he confirmed that it is the typical cloth patch that Wilson was using in the latter part of the 1960s and early '70s. He has sold the jersey (not claiming that it was a Colts jersey), so he is unable to furnish any additional photos.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Samets
03-17-2017, 07:07 AM
Too bad, I really wanted to get a better look at it. I still don't like that tag, it just seems off to me.

G1X
03-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Rusty,

Out of curiosity, what seems off about the tag other than the "42" appearing to be stamped on the jersey instead of being stitched or screened as is typically seen on jerseys from that era? Everything else is correct as it matches the late 1960s/early'70s era perfectly. The photos I previously provided of exemplars from that era (both the sewn and screened lettering) bear that out and match the style of tag seen in Anthony's third photo. I've increased the size of that photo below which I hope gives you a better view.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Cubanfan
06-23-2017, 08:58 PM
After further review....... There is a Jimmy Orr jersey in this month's MEARS auction that sure looks like the same one being discussed here. Looks like it turned out to be a gamer after all!

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/1967_68_Jimmy_Orr_Baltimore_Colts_Game_Worn_Road_J-LOT112789.aspx

Carlos

Always Buying Vintage Miami Dolphins
Carlosfern1314@gmail.com

both-teams-played-hard
06-23-2017, 10:12 PM
After further review....... There is a Jimmy Orr jersey in this month's MEARS auction that sure looks like the same one being discussed here. Looks like it turned out to be a gamer after all!

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/1967_68_Jimmy_Orr_Baltimore_Colts_Game_Worn_Road_J-LOT112789.aspx

Carlos

Carlosfern1314@gmail.com

The collectors who originally replied to this thread, seem to have more knowledge than some authenticators.
Described at auction as "secretarial" signature. is a term used for Presidential autographs. I am not an expert. I believe the autograph to be real deal holyfield, but the shirt is not from the Colts.
Describing this jersey as "Game Used" is a disservice to the collecting community.

G1X
06-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Carlos

Carlosfern1314@gmail.com

Carlos,

To clarify for those who have been following this thread and are trying to gather information about 1960s/early'70s NFL durene jerseys, I am making the huge assumption that you are being sarcastic and don't really believe that it is a Jimmy Orr Baltimore Colts game-used jersey.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

commando
06-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Jerseys like this almost always pop up somewhere down the road... hence my main purpose for posting it here... Anyone who does a Google search of the shirt should find themselves reading this thread.

sox83cubs84
07-05-2017, 09:42 PM
It looks like that, at some point, MEARS pulled the jersey. I didn't see it on the final results page of their listings.

Dave Miedema