PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Clemente 3000 Hit bat story (2012)

metsbats
03-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Stumbled across this old ESPN story about Roberto Clemente's 3000 Hit bat.

Interesting read.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/page/Roberto-Clemente-bat/enduring-mystery-roberto-clemente-bat

TBM
03-17-2017, 01:06 AM
Loved the story, to bad about the authors father. That disease really sucks. Wish I would have loved to see Clemente play in person, what a guy! They don't make em like that anymore.

My wife asks me why I label all my balls with the level of detail I do. I tell her that one day I may not remember the details or I won't be here to recount them. When she goes to sell them off at least she'll know what their significance was. Maybe not for significant milestones for a player, but for personal ones. I have a ball from the first game my wife and boys ever went to. A hit by Alex Gordon. My boys favorite player. You only get one first time. Maybe some day my youngest will have it displayed and answering questions from his grand kids about his first MLB baseball game, Seeing the great Gordo mash a HR and hit a single.

I enjoy photomatching my items, compiling the stories and details around each item. Each piece has its own story and I want to tell it. I have the story for each of my items. Balls, bats, helmets, hats, cleats all of it. I only hope my kids appreciate it when I'm gone or at least the people they sell the stuff to do. Here's a sample of how I document each ball.