PDA

View Full Version : Question About Jack Morris Jersey in VSA Auctions

Sioux4Ever
03-20-2017, 06:35 PM
VSA Auctions as many of you know had their current auction go live this morning. I have determined that VSA Auctions is currently trying to pass off this jersey (link below) as a genuine Jack Morris game used 1991 World Series jersey. There is no solid provenance to support this being a legit jersey.
The major red flag came up when the jersey is tagged as a 1990 set 1 jersey. but Morris wasn't even with the team in 1990. This led me to some photomatching, which I will admit that I was skeptical that this jersey may be legit as some of the pinstripes were very close to lining up with letters when compared to images on Getty and AP images, but I continued to search as I was still skeptical. The nail in the coffin for the jersey being a fake was when I watched tape from game 4, the only road game Morris pitched in. The points of the World Series patch on the right sleeve is directly on a pinstripe, but on every instance I could make out the points of the patch in the video it was never on the pinstripe, always between two stripes.

In my opinion I firmly believe this is not the jersey that VSA is claiming it is and I suggest anyone interested stay away!!!!

http://vsaauctions.com/Jack-Morris-1991-World-Series-Minnesota-Twins-Prof-LOT24604.aspx

metsbats
03-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Did you inform the auction house about this? As per forum rules we need to try to contact the auction house or seller and give them 24 hours to respond before posting.

Sioux4Ever
03-20-2017, 07:19 PM
I did as soon as I noticed it about noon today and have heard nothing back from them

metsbats
03-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Moved to the auction item discussion thread.

ChrisCavalier
03-20-2017, 09:52 PM
I did as soon as I noticed it about noon today and have heard nothing back from them
Please keep us posted as to whether or not you receive a response.

In all fairness, the seller (in this case the auction house) should be given the opportunity to reply to your concerns.

Thanks,
Chris

sox83cubs84
03-20-2017, 10:51 PM
The jersey being a 1990 jersey is, in and of itself, not automatically a disqualifier, as the Twins have been a budget-conscious team for decades, and it's not out of the question that they may have brought out an older jersey for Morris to wear in the 1991 WS. However, your photo research definitely confirms that it was not the one he wore in his one road start in that series. Nice work on carrying the research to the highest level of proof.

Dave Miedema

Sioux4Ever
03-21-2017, 12:11 AM
Please keep us posted as to whether or not you receive a response.

In all fairness, the seller (in this case the auction house) should be given the opportunity to reply to your concerns.

Thanks,
Chris

I do apologize for posting early and not giving the auction house the chance to address the concern. That was my bad.
I was in contact with Mr. Jensen and he and I are in 100% disagreement on the matter and I am accepting that.
Again I do apologize for jumping the gun on posting but I firmly believe my research leads me to believing this jersey is not as it's being advertised.

Sioux4Ever
03-21-2017, 12:16 AM
The jersey may be a legitimate issued jersey to Jack for the series but based on my research the jersey was not used in the game.

admin_old
03-21-2017, 06:04 AM
Can anyone post a screen shot of the patch, that would be helpful.

DoctorLoomis
03-21-2017, 08:54 PM
I do apologize for posting early and not giving the auction house the chance to address the concern. That was my bad.
I was in contact with Mr. Jensen and he and I are in 100% disagreement on the matter and I am accepting that.
Again I do apologize for jumping the gun on posting but I firmly believe my research leads me to believing this jersey is not as it's being advertised.

1. Of course there's a disagreement. They want to sell a jersey and make money.
2. There's in reality no disagreement. The jersey is bad...photo matching proves it...and that's the end of the story. Period.

Sioux4Ever
03-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Can anyone post a screen shot of the patch, that would be helpful.
I have a screenshot on my phone but it's too big to post. Not sure how to make it small enough to post

sox83cubs84
03-24-2017, 10:44 PM
I did notice in the auction listing that there was the outline of a Twins 30th Anniversary patch on the right sleeve underneath the World Series patch. That is a situation I saw on one other Twins jersey made for the 1991 WS (Chuck Knoblauch). While the photo evidence shows that this isn't the jersey he wore in his one road start, it could be possible that it was either a backup jersey or one that was "bench-worn". It seems far fetched that someone would forge a jersey with one patch, remove that patch with visible remnants, and then replace it with a second patch. The saga continues...

Dave Miedema

Sioux4Ever
03-24-2017, 11:20 PM
I agree Dave. I am happy VSA updated the description on the jersey. Lays out that it's not the game used jersey it seemed they implied it was before.

earlywynnfan
03-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Nobody in this thread mentions that the owner of this auction house went to jail for selling fake jerseys as gamers??

Phil316
03-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Nobody in this thread mentions that the owner of this auction house went to jail for selling fake jerseys as gamers??

I think we did but it got edited. If you notice the first page was edited pretty heavily by the admin's.

Sioux4Ever
03-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Yes I originally titled the thread with a title that I shouldn't have and requested Chris change it because I felt it wasn't fair to VSA. I am aware of Steves past and that does make me skeptical to buy from his house if the items don't have rock solid provenance or COAs from very reputable 3rd parties, which this Morris jersey does not