PDA

View Full Version : Paying with a postal money order

NEFAN
04-15-2017, 07:35 AM
When I want to bid on something on eBay, I usually contact the seller to see if they would accept a US Postal money order payment. Most say yes, but a good number will not. One person even told me I would try to scam him but skirting around PayPal. I have a PayPal account, but like to buy with cash I have saved.

Postal M.O.'s are very safe, what do people have against them?

808jerseys
04-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Maybe I'm showing my age, before eBay & PayPal. Money Orders was the only safe way to pay for me.

truvalue123
04-15-2017, 12:54 PM
I'll take them, but, they are a hassle to the seller...special trips to cash and deposit them-if a greater amount, the savings(2.9% +.30) could be worthwhile..but, for a dollar or two, for a one off..there is not the pay back in time and gas invested.

Phil316
04-15-2017, 03:50 PM
They are heavily forged by the way. So be careful and dont send anything out before you have cashed it. Very easy as most USPS places will cash them with little hassle. You just gotta make sure and do it late afternoon to make sure they have the funds to pay you.

ferro39
04-15-2017, 09:37 PM
USPS money orders are very safe in my experience. You can cash and ship at the same time at the post office, and in the off chance it is fake, most postal clerks can tell the difference on the spot. Faking a USPS MO is also a federal crime, so if someone were to, they'd be in some deep doo doo.

I never take Western Union, Money Gram and the like. Too many issues with those.

NEFAN
04-16-2017, 07:21 AM
I'll take them, but, they are a hassle to the seller...special trips to cash and deposit them-if a greater amount, the savings(2.9% +.30) could be worthwhile..but, for a dollar or two, for a one off..there is not the pay back in time and gas invested.

I accept them and cash them when I take the item to the post office. Small dollar items I use PayPal, this is usually higher $$ stuff.