PDA

View Full Version : Steiner Auction

Nnunnari
05-05-2017, 05:31 PM
I just browsed the Steiner auction. Looks like a lot of shady game used items at best. Seems like Steiner is trying to use their brand name to flip a bunch of marginal items to the naive/novice game used collector. It will catch up to them one day, but it's a shame to see someone who doesn't need to do this, doing it.

carbonrosa
05-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Which items do you find to be shady game-used pieces?

yanks12025
05-05-2017, 05:57 PM
I just browsed the Steiner auction. Looks like a lot of shady game used items at best. Seems like Steiner is trying to use their brand name to flip a bunch of marginal items to the naive/novice game used collector. It will catch up to them one day, but it's a shame to see someone who doesn't need to do this, doing it.

It would be great if you could post details about the lots and what is wrong with them. Also I thought there were forum rules about calling out stuff like this thread.

Phil316
05-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Yup back in the day of GUU saying stuff like this without proof would get you banned immediately.

seanbaseball
05-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Lets hear what u believe to be bad?

seanbaseball
05-05-2017, 08:22 PM
I like how each game used bat says "Featured in this lot if a game used bat worthy of Cooperstown" LOL and they all say "In addition to the crack the bat show excellent use only increasing its value. This bat is authenticated by PSA/DNA and is sure to become a solid investment for its next owner as time goes by." LOL Sounds like I should buy them all:) :eek:

admin_old
05-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Nick,

Please post the specific items and your concerns. This thread could be helpful to collectors if you are more specific. Also, you should contact Dave at Steiner auctions with the items you are concerned about. Thanks.

Doug

truvalue123
05-06-2017, 08:20 AM
I see 26 bats listed, and, 25 of them have PSA or MEARS letters...How can they be "shady"? Descriptions may be a bit goofy, but, don't see issues here..I didn't inspect every listing, but, the ones I did , like the Aaron which has a PSA Grade 7, seem to check out...maybe someone is trying to keep bidders away?

seanbaseball
05-06-2017, 08:52 AM
I see 26 bats listed, and, 25 of them have PSA or MEARS letters...How can they be "shady"? Descriptions may be a bit goofy, but, don't see issues here..I didn't inspect every listing, but, the ones I did , like the Aaron which has a PSA Grade 7, seem to check out...maybe someone is trying to keep bidders away?

LoL. Didnt think of that! The writeups are weak but it does seem that the items are mostly authenticated and kinda are what they are. I see some nice items in there that are cheap right now.

Nnunnari
05-06-2017, 11:32 AM
I'll post shortly.

KGoldin
05-06-2017, 11:32 AM
I think it's a case of really bad descriptions and or titles not an attempt to be shady.

Nnunnari
05-06-2017, 12:01 PM
I agree with Ken, shady was a bad choice of words. I meant to say surprisingly low quality for an auction house like Steiner. I suggest everyone read the descriptions very carefully.
I found some of the descriptions to be very corny- heavy use and cracked makes this bat significantly more valuable than a bat with minimal use. Makes you believe they expect their bidders to be very uneducated in the hobby.
Best of luck to the bidders. Seems like there are a lot of items that people got stuck with and are trying to flip in a lesser known auction to recoup some of their money and I definitely was not trying to keep bidders away- calling attention to the auction is not the best way to do that.

truvalue123
05-06-2017, 12:17 PM
A bat with heavy use WOULD be more valuable than a bat with minimal use, correct? Cracking impacts value, yes, but, heavy use is good...

truvalue123
05-06-2017, 12:20 PM
I agree with Ken, shady was a bad choice of words. I meant to say surprisingly low quality for an auction house like Steiner. I suggest everyone read the descriptions very carefully.
I found some of the descriptions to be very corny- heavy use and cracked makes this bat significantly more valuable than a bat with minimal use. Makes you believe they expect their bidders to be very uneducated in the hobby.
Best of luck to the bidders. Seems like there are a lot of items that people got stuck with and are trying to flip in a lesser known auction to recoup some of their money and I definitely was not trying to keep bidders away- calling attention to the auction is not the best way to do that.

equals this????? items look pretty good except for current price of Sheff bat...

Looks like a lot of shady game used items at best. Seems like Steiner is trying to use their brand name to flip a bunch of marginal items to the naive/novice game used collector. It will catch up to them one day, but it's a shame to see someone who doesn't need to do this, doing it.

seanbaseball
05-06-2017, 12:47 PM
So to summarize there isn't one item that is "Shady" in their auction. There are some lesser graded items which will go for lesser prices. Imagine that. The descriptions are generic at times but I don't find any of them attempting to be misleading. Seems like a post that needs a good old fashioned deleting.
I still haven't seen the list of items that are shady?

gilbey
05-06-2017, 03:05 PM
They do have a buch of cards in screw down holders which is known to damage the cards.

truvalue123
05-06-2017, 03:36 PM
So to summarize there isn't one item that is "Shady" in their auction. There are some lesser graded items which will go for lesser prices. Imagine that. The descriptions are generic at times but I don't find any of them attempting to be misleading. Seems like a post that needs a good old fashioned deleting.
I still haven't seen the list of items that are shady?

U r right...we'll see how quickly that happens...:)

seanbaseball
05-06-2017, 05:23 PM
They do have a buch of cards in screw down holders which is known to damage the cards.

Pretty sure thats not shady!

seanbaseball
05-07-2017, 08:01 AM
ok this is insane! The auction is still going the next morning! Were there really bids every 15 minutes all night and if so shouldnt they just cut it off at a certain time! Really stupid!:mad:

sherbal15
05-07-2017, 09:25 AM
If you search by "most recent bids" you come up with some really great stuff worth keeping the extended bidding going over 12 hours....most notably a Jim Palmer singled signed baseball. Just don't see those all the time :confused:

Bondsgloves
05-07-2017, 10:04 AM
What a joke. I was high bid on something all night until about 10
Minutes ago. The auction should have ended hours ago when there was no bids for hours. Than I was outbid this morning.

ereyes
05-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Hi, some collectors like seanbaseball have reached out to us directly and I've asked for some suggestions on various topics including the 15 minute rule. Sean was kind enough to come back to me with feedback that my team and I will review before our next catalog auction. Unfortunately I'm sure we will not make everyone happy but we will do our best to make it a better experience. The descriptions are at the top of my list to improve, among others.

If you have any concerns or questions you can email me directly at ereyes@steinersports.com. Many of you know me from my previous stint with Steiner and for those that don't I worked with Steiner for almost 10 years and worked closing with GUU on Yankee related game items.

truvalue123
05-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Hi, some collectors like seanbaseball have reached out to us directly and I've asked for some suggestions on various topics including the 15 minute rule. Sean was kind enough to come back to me with feedback that my team and I will review before our next catalog auction. Unfortunately I'm sure we will not make everyone happy but we will do our best to make it a better experience. The descriptions are at the top of my list to improve, among others.

If you have any concerns or questions you can email me directly at ereyes@steinersports.com. Many of you know me from my previous stint with Steiner and for those that don't I worked with Steiner for almost 10 years and worked closing with GUU on Yankee related game items.

Yes, even longer than a Grey Flannel auction...it is quite amazing...so, what is the auction team structure at Steiner these days?

seanbaseball
05-07-2017, 01:36 PM
i may have to take off tomorrow to continue watching!!!!:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

ereyes
05-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Trust me you will not have to, hard stopping soon

scottradeinvestor@gmail.com
05-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Trust me you will not have to, hard stopping soon

At this point, you should notify all bidders with a hard close time.

GoCrazyFolks76
05-07-2017, 03:26 PM
WOW!

This auction is still going 18 hours after the close time?!?!

I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.

I know you guys are trying to squeeze every last dollar out of your customers, but I think at this point you're pissing off more people than you're making happy.

seanbaseball
05-07-2017, 03:39 PM
WOW!

This auction is still going 18 hours after the close time?!?!

I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.

I know you guys are trying to squeeze every last dollar out of your customers, but I think at this point you're pissing off more people than you're making happy.

I am hopeful there are changes coming before the next one.........taking this long takes the fun out of it.

Abzk01
05-07-2017, 05:13 PM
Darn, I was hoping to bid and extend it by 18 more hours :confused:

Nnunnari
05-07-2017, 05:26 PM

I love this quote by Truevalue, whoever he is. How can a bat with a PSA/Mears letter be shady? Haha. Sean and Truevalue showed their true ignorance when they did not recognize that this auction was bush league from the get go and instead decided to jump all over me. Less talking, more listening for you two.
Steiner is supposed to be the gold standard in memorabilia. After the Eli Manning debacle, you would think they would focus on providing quality, high end pieces instead of trying to manipulate their mostly uneducated customer base with marginal items and ridiculous lot descriptions.

seanbaseball
05-07-2017, 06:09 PM
I love this quote by Truevalue, whoever he is. How can a bat with a PSA/Mears letter be shady? Haha. Sean and Truevalue showed their true ignorance when they did not recognize that this auction was bush league from the get go and instead decided to jump all over me. Less talking, more listening for you two.
Steiner is supposed to be the gold standard in memorabilia. After the Eli Manning debacle, you would think they would focus on providing quality, high end pieces instead of trying to manipulate their mostly uneducated customer base with marginal items and ridiculous lot descriptions.

U claimed the items were "shady" but yet u could not point out ONE item that was shady! When called out on it by Ken u say u mispoke. LOL. Pretty sure that makes u QUITE ignorant and LIABLE. A PSA 6 bat is not a great item for instance compared to a 9 but to someone it may be what they can afford and it is a true gem to them. If your unhappy with the quality of the items at Steiner email them and let them know. I havent seen u posting any Cooperstown worthy items here very often if ever but yet I bet u still like what you collect and i like some of the items u buy. No doubt Steiner was lacking in their descriptions of the items but they weren't misleading. Some of the items didnt even get a bid. FYI there are lesser items at all auctions, period! I never see an auction as "bush league". I see auctions that have stuff I want and stuff I dont. I agree with u that just because a bat has a PSA or Mears letter doesn't mean that u don't need to do your homework.
I didnt feel u were "jumped all over" but when u say its all shady and then cant point out one item your ignorance is worthy of a shout out. That doesnt make us ignorant or less of a collector than u. Come off your high horse and lets all enjoy this hobby together. Lesser items can be cool and so can Million dollar items.
"Less talking, more listening for you two. " LOL Please! :rolleyes:

truvalue123
05-07-2017, 06:27 PM

Still waiting for examples of your issues...

seanbaseball
05-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Still waiting for examples of your issues...

Bet it takes longer than Steiners auction..........:eek:

ereyes
05-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Nick what's the issue? Could the auction have been better? Sure. I'm sure you weren't an expert when you started doing what you do. Not that we just started doing auctions, but we're still in the growing stages and will make mistakes, and unfortunately we can't make everyone happy. Perhaps instead of making accusations of items being shady, maybe you can educate us all on why the item is not what it states it is. Eric created this forum for information and educational purposes not unproven accusations. If you want to discuss further you can email me directly, but please put a stop to the accusations.

Abzk01
05-09-2017, 09:41 AM
I can certainly see why there is animosity toward certain companies. I reviewed the auction time ending rules and copied the text verbatim and attached a screenshot.

"IMPORTANT NOTE: You may now bid on any lot after 10:00 PM EST(or at the scheduled auction close time) regardless of if you have placed a bid on that lot prior to 10:00 PM, EST. All lots are open for bidding as long as long as the auction is current open and any item can be big on at any time."

I couldn't figure out how to big on anything? I'm also unsure what the second sentence even means? "as long as long as" "the auction is current open"? :confused:

seanbaseball
05-09-2017, 01:26 PM
I can certainly see why there is animosity toward certain companies. I reviewed the auction time ending rules and copied the text verbatim and attached a screenshot.

"IMPORTANT NOTE: You may now bid on any lot after 10:00 PM EST(or at the scheduled auction close time) regardless of if you have placed a bid on that lot prior to 10:00 PM, EST. All lots are open for bidding as long as long as the auction is current open and any item can be big on at any time."

I couldn't figure out how to big on anything? I'm also unsure what the second sentence even means? "as long as long as" "the auction is current open"? :confused:

I read that also. Seems like the rules need a little tweeking or this will happen again. Just took wat too long!

Juicyfruit66
05-09-2017, 08:47 PM
What happened to guu? It's turned into facebook....keyboard warriors slagging each other...im 38 and was brought up actually talking to people in person and on the phone....i'd suggest people type as if the other person was in front of them. This is the second thread within a few weeks where jabs are being taken for no reason.