X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nnunnari
    Banned
    • Sep 2006

Steiner Auction

I just browsed the Steiner auction. Looks like a lot of shady game used items at best. Seems like Steiner is trying to use their brand name to flip a bunch of marginal items to the naive/novice game used collector. It will catch up to them one day, but it's a shame to see someone who doesn't need to do this, doing it.
  • carbonrosa
    • Jun 2012

Re: Steiner Auction

Which items do you find to be shady game-used pieces?

Comment

• yanks12025
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Nnunnari
      I just browsed the Steiner auction. Looks like a lot of shady game used items at best. Seems like Steiner is trying to use their brand name to flip a bunch of marginal items to the naive/novice game used collector. It will catch up to them one day, but it's a shame to see someone who doesn't need to do this, doing it.

It would be great if you could post details about the lots and what is wrong with them. Also I thought there were forum rules about calling out stuff like this thread.

Comment

• Phil316
        • May 2013

Yup back in the day of GUU saying stuff like this without proof would get you banned immediately.

Comment

• seanbaseball
          • Aug 2014

Lets hear what u believe to be bad?

Comment

• seanbaseball
            • Aug 2014

I like how each game used bat says "Featured in this lot if a game used bat worthy of Cooperstown" LOL and they all say "In addition to the crack the bat show excellent use only increasing its value. This bat is authenticated by PSA/DNA and is sure to become a solid investment for its next owner as time goes by." LOL Sounds like I should buy them all

Comment

• admin_old

Nick,

Please post the specific items and your concerns. This thread could be helpful to collectors if you are more specific. Also, you should contact Dave at Steiner auctions with the items you are concerned about. Thanks.

Doug

Comment

• truvalue123
                • Oct 2014

I see 26 bats listed, and, 25 of them have PSA or MEARS letters...How can they be "shady"? Descriptions may be a bit goofy, but, don't see issues here..I didn't inspect every listing, but, the ones I did , like the Aaron which has a PSA Grade 7, seem to check out...maybe someone is trying to keep bidders away?

Comment

• seanbaseball
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by truvalue123
                  I see 26 bats listed, and, 25 of them have PSA or MEARS letters...How can they be "shady"? Descriptions may be a bit goofy, but, don't see issues here..I didn't inspect every listing, but, the ones I did , like the Aaron which has a PSA Grade 7, seem to check out...maybe someone is trying to keep bidders away?
                  LoL. Didnt think of that! The writeups are weak but it does seem that the items are mostly authenticated and kinda are what they are. I see some nice items in there that are cheap right now.

Comment

• Nnunnari
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2006

I'll post shortly.

Comment

• KGoldin
                      • Sep 2012

I think it's a case of really bad descriptions and or titles not an attempt to be shady.

Comment

• Nnunnari
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2006

I agree with Ken, shady was a bad choice of words. I meant to say surprisingly low quality for an auction house like Steiner. I suggest everyone read the descriptions very carefully.
                        I found some of the descriptions to be very corny- heavy use and cracked makes this bat significantly more valuable than a bat with minimal use. Makes you believe they expect their bidders to be very uneducated in the hobby.
                        Best of luck to the bidders. Seems like there are a lot of items that people got stuck with and are trying to flip in a lesser known auction to recoup some of their money and I definitely was not trying to keep bidders away- calling attention to the auction is not the best way to do that.

Comment

• truvalue123
                          • Oct 2014

A bat with heavy use WOULD be more valuable than a bat with minimal use, correct? Cracking impacts value, yes, but, heavy use is good...

Comment

• truvalue123
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Nnunnari
                            I agree with Ken, shady was a bad choice of words. I meant to say surprisingly low quality for an auction house like Steiner. I suggest everyone read the descriptions very carefully.
                            I found some of the descriptions to be very corny- heavy use and cracked makes this bat significantly more valuable than a bat with minimal use. Makes you believe they expect their bidders to be very uneducated in the hobby.
                            Best of luck to the bidders. Seems like there are a lot of items that people got stuck with and are trying to flip in a lesser known auction to recoup some of their money and I definitely was not trying to keep bidders away- calling attention to the auction is not the best way to do that.
                            equals this????? items look pretty good except for current price of Sheff bat...

Looks like a lot of shady game used items at best. Seems like Steiner is trying to use their brand name to flip a bunch of marginal items to the naive/novice game used collector. It will catch up to them one day, but it's a shame to see someone who doesn't need to do this, doing it.

Comment

• seanbaseball
                              • Aug 2014

So to summarize there isn't one item that is "Shady" in their auction. There are some lesser graded items which will go for lesser prices. Imagine that. The descriptions are generic at times but I don't find any of them attempting to be misleading. Seems like a post that needs a good old fashioned deleting.
                              I still haven't seen the list of items that are shady?

Comment

Working...