PDA

View Full Version : Don Zimmer ebay jersey

lon lewis
02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
a few S.F. Giants collectors have asked me to comment on the Don Zimmer Giants jersey currently being auctioned on ebay item # 250083731 form seller candlestickgiants, for both legitimacy and one of the comments listed. While the jersey appears to be legitimate, there is a comment in the description section that is questionable. In explaning the lack of a "Purchased From" stamp I quote "AS MOST OF YOU GIANTS COLLECTORS WILL KNOW, MOST GIANTS STARS AND ESTABLISHED PLAYERS/COACHES DID NOT HAVE THEIR JERSEYS FORWARDED TO DICK DOBBINS, WHICH WAS STANDARD PRACTICE FOR THE OTHER PLAYERS/COACHES. AS A RESULT, THIS DOES NOT HAVE THE "PURCHASED FROM THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS"Stamp.
This statement could not be farther from the truth. In fact Dobbins recieved almost all of the coaches,stars, batboy and everything else. The jerseys he did not recieve were either held back by marketing, given to a player or coach at the end of his stay with the team or number/name changed for the following spring training. This was done on a "case by case" basis. If he didn't get the stars coaches ect. how do you explain the Clarks,(both Jack and Will) Williams, Mitchell,Thompson, Leonard, Chili, Vida, Carlton, coaches Baker,Lillis,Fahey,Brenly McKenzie,Kim and a host of others that appeared on his sales lists? Or how did we photocopy the NOB's of Zimmer, Fahey,Craig and others following the '87 season for the purposes of having a record of the changes Rawlings had to the NOB'S vs the Wilson NOB? This is just another example of a seller making something up to legitimize an inconsistency with the jersey (in this case a minor one). The more realistic explanation is that Zimmer was given/kept the jersey at the end of the '87 season and as a consequence lacks the purched from stamp. Giants players/coaches (who had a positive relationship with the equipment mgr) were routinely given a home and road jersey or at least had the jerseys offered to them when they left the team. Those of you who collect Giants jerseys need to ignore the totally bogus comment made by candlestickgiants regarding Dobbins.

Marichal27
02-14-2007, 08:27 PM
As a Giants jersey collector, I definitely concur!