PDA

View Full Version : MLB Fixed Hologram Error

memorabiliaunlimited
05-20-2017, 06:06 PM
i couldnt find the thread where this was discussed prior, but i know there was a discussion about errors in the MLB database.

i recently purchased a hat through MLB auctions that was described only as an orioles team issued number 19 hat, which definitely showed use. when i got it, the hologram info in the database said it was a 2016 issued chris davis postseason hat. it had very good and obvious use, so obviously a case of the authenticator not seeing davis wear the hat. dont know why the orioles didnt say it was a davis hat in their auction description when it said it was in the MLB database, but that's their loss.

the postseason part in the MLB database raised my eyebrow because there was no postseason patch on the hat. so, i looked for a photo of davis or any other orioles player in this style hat during the playoffs and of course, the orioles wore a different style hat during their only playoff game in 2016 (they lost in the wildcard).

i reached out to my contact at MLB and presented everything stated above to him, and the postseason language was taken out of the database for me. it took MLB about 1-2 weeks before it was done. very happy with the result and prompt resolution.

pineda.alejandro@yahoo.com
05-21-2017, 03:10 AM
i couldnt find the thread where this was discussed prior, but i know there was a discussion about errors in the MLB database.

i recently purchased a hat through MLB auctions that was described only as an orioles team issued number 19 hat, which definitely showed use. when i got it, the hologram info in the database said it was a 2016 issued chris davis postseason hat. it had very good and obvious use, so obviously a case of the authenticator not seeing davis wear the hat. dont know why the orioles didnt say it was a davis hat in their auction description when it said it was in the MLB database, but that's their loss.

the postseason part in the MLB database raised my eyebrow because there was no postseason patch on the hat. so, i looked for a photo of davis or any other orioles player in this style hat during the playoffs and of course, the orioles wore a different style hat during their only playoff game in 2016 (they lost in the wildcard).

i reached out to my contact at MLB and presented everything stated above to him, and the postseason language was taken out of the database for me. it took MLB about 1-2 weeks before it was done. very happy with the result and prompt resolution.

I had the same issue with Game used baseballs from the world baseball classic. Instead of stating what it was, the database was saying it was something completely different. I've emailed them twice with no luck.

coxfan
05-21-2017, 10:05 AM
I've had two errors in game-used balls that were corrected by MLB in the last year. In one case, a pitch in the dirt to David Ortiz was incorrectly entered as a foul tip in the database. There was no foul, tip or otherwise, in the AB. When I contacted them, they replied that the authenticator had correctly recorded a pitch in the dirt, so someone had evidently made a clerical error upon database entry. That was then corrected.

The other was a case where the official scorer changed his ruling from a double plus fielder's choice, to a triple, but the authenticator didn't pick up the scoring change. That was corrected when I inquired.

I've said before that they authenticate too many things outside of the games, and that contributes to clerical errors. They still need to standardize terminology for various game-used items.