PDA

View Full Version : Cover Up MLB Holo #?

mrjohnmalton
05-21-2017, 04:00 PM
I have noticed that several teams cover up the hologram numbers on game-used items on the MLB auction site. Is this to prevent people from re-creating fake holograms with those numbers, or some other reason? Is this something that collectors should practice when sharing pictures of their collection online?

Sioux4Ever
05-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Yes it's so people can't recreate the hologram. I don't have any major items people would want to recreate but I can see some collectors who do that may want to cover it up.

yankees506
05-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Anyone have an example of a fake MLB authentication sticker? I'd imagine this has got to be hard to do

Sioux4Ever
05-21-2017, 10:22 PM
I would think so as well but I suppose maybe it's more of a stop the problem before it happens type of thing!

emann
05-21-2017, 11:35 PM
I have noticed that several teams cover up the hologram numbers on game-used items on the MLB auction site. Is this to prevent people from re-creating fake holograms with those numbers, or some other reason? Is this something that collectors should practice when sharing pictures of their collection online?

Actually, I heard this is to prevent "snooping" of the authenticated items database. If you have a specific holo number, you can keep looking through the other items tagged from that session. Some teams seem protective of this, so don't care.

rdeversole
05-22-2017, 07:38 AM
+1

I've heard about people snooping around the numbers and finding items that aren't available/for sale and harassing staff trying to acquire the items.

Actually, I heard this is to prevent "snooping" of the authenticated items database. If you have a specific holo number, you can keep looking through the other items tagged from that session. Some teams seem protective of this, so don't care.

swainer
05-22-2017, 08:29 AM
I've heard it is to prevent people from listing the item on ebay and trying to sell if before the MLB auction ends and they have it in hand.