PDA

View Full Version : Tom Seaver GU Bat??

helmets
05-22-2017, 07:41 AM
I recently purchased from a collector a large lot of signed baseballs and other items. Among the items were two bats - both described to me as "actual bats used in a game." The Seaver bat as shown below and another Tiger bat from the mid 60's. I don't know anything about bats, so looking to the "experts" for their opinion. I tried to find photos of Seaver with a bat and searched for Seaver gamers and literally nothing comes up. Most all photos of Seaver of course were of him pitching. Did pitchers have their own bats? There are a couple of marks on the bat but it looks like it is in too nice of shape to be a gamer from that time period. Thanks in advance for anything you may share with me. You can reply to the thread or I can be reached - Levenick at TIR dot com

Vintagedeputy
05-22-2017, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that Seaver was a Louisville Slugger guy, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

helmets
05-22-2017, 01:49 PM
I know they are not all that significant but I found these two on a google search. About the only ones where he had a bat in his hands.

sox83cubs84
05-22-2017, 10:41 PM
The bat, based on the label and the blue pro ring, looks to date from sometime in the early 1970's (I don't recall offhand the year that Adirondack replaced the "teepee" logo with this one) through 1977, when he was dealt to the Reds (Reds gamer bats would have a red pro ring).

Dave Miedema

helmets
05-23-2017, 05:53 AM
Thank you Dave for the information.

metsbats
05-29-2017, 08:15 AM
I know they are not all that significant but I found these two on a google search. About the only ones where he had a bat in his hands.

I actually have this photo in my collection and the bats Seaver is holding were from the 68 to 70 era. From 71-79 adirondack removed the teepee and the Dodgeville stampings from the center brand so that's the era that your bat was from. As Dave stated blue rings were Mets bats while Red rings were Reds bats which would make your bat a 71-77.

Tom Seaver had a contract with Adirondack hence the signature model. He did also use HB bats but they were non contract block letter "SEAVER" models.

Looks to me like a game used pro model Seaver bat as it does no have any number on the knob and no evidence of pine tar or use.

Nice rare bat though.