PDA

View Full Version : Your Personal Rules/Requirements For Items In Your Collection

mrjohnmalton
05-22-2017, 06:32 PM
I was having a conversation with a friend, and fellow collector earlier today about what we may or may not like when it comes to game used items in our collections. He isn't anywhere near as picky as I am, but we both have our "things". I am curious to see what kind of rules/requirements you all have for items in your own collections.

I am a game used "purest" as my friend says. I will not purchase any game used items that have been signed, nor will I have them signed, as that is not the way the item was when it was being used. For some reason or another I prefer that my game used bats are cracked, but not completely broken in half. I do, however, have a few hammered bats that are not cracked. The more and more I collect, the more I stray away from any items that aren't authenticated by MLB. I will definitely make an exception here and there for items that I really really want, and or items acquired from highly reputable sellers.

mrjohnmalton
05-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Purist, not "purest". Apple strikes again.

emann
05-22-2017, 07:10 PM
It doesn't matter to me re: MLB or 3rd party authentication . I think once you've been collecting and studying for enough years, you can get a good feel for traits, etc. If you collect a certain player, you can definitely become an educated collector if you handle enough of their equipment and put some time into really understanding and studying traits . . . Another reason is you can't get pre-90s player items with MLB authentication—by not collecting anything not MLB auth'd, you're cutting out a significant number of amazing items.

The MLB auth means less to me than a photomatch.

Speaking of photomatch, I prefer for modern jerseys to be photomatched with good use. Same for bats + hammered. Cracked doesn't matter to me, but I prefer the crack not be glued down unless it is flush (this is a big one for me; I will usually return bats that I buy which don't correctly describe this).

Prefer items not signed but doesn't matter . . . But I hate the "game used" of "GU" inscriptions, unless it is signed/dated to some significant event (like a HR bat).

mrjohnmalton
05-22-2017, 07:23 PM
by not collecting anything not MLB auth'd, you're cutting out a significant number of amazing items.

I will definitely make an exception here and there for items that I really really want, and or items acquired from highly reputable sellers.

:D

I do have some older Indians items that obviously weren't authenticated. They all came from former employees, or highly reputable local collectors. I definitely don't prevent myself from acquiring items that I want, just because they aren't MLB authenticated. I definitely agree that a solid photomatch trumps all, and several of my MLB authenticated pieces were easier to photomatch because of the date and whatnot being recorded. Even if I liked the idea of having game used items signed, I still wouldn't do it because of the risk of a bad signature that could take away from the appeal of the piece.

emann
05-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Hah, read your post too quick! Good—too many good pieces out there from older players. ;)

Re signatures; I've gotten a few autos in person on printed Getty images of the item. To me, that is the place to add an inscription (like a date or "hit #XXX") and display it with the item. It serves the purpose of being a display piece, allowing you to meet the player, etc . . . and it doesn't affect the actual item.

shermdawurm
05-22-2017, 08:49 PM
Even if I liked the idea of having game used items signed, I still wouldn't do it because of the risk of a bad signature that could take away from the appeal of the piece.

I've gotten a few autos in person on printed Getty images of the item. To me, that is the place to add an inscription (like a date or "hit #XXX") and display it with the item. It serves the purpose of being a display piece, allowing you to meet the player, etc . . . and it doesn't affect the actual item.

I recently acquired a dream item that I was debating whether or not to get signed but after thinking about it, I would be too upset if the signature turned out poorly. I typically also do not like signed pieces but I only considered it because this jersey is so sentimentally significant to me that I can't see myself ever parting with it. I like the idea of having the player sign a photomatched photo instead. And I agree that it would be a nice piece to display with the jersey.

sox83cubs84
05-22-2017, 10:36 PM
I couldn't care less about third party authentication for my stuff...I do it myself. I prefer unsigned jerseys, but caps and bats are OK either way. Most of what I have kept was given to me, but I'll buy items of guys I've gotten to know to at least some degree.

Players I collect include guys in the "gotten to know" category, Cubs and White Sox items depending on personal interest, and politically incorrect player/team items. My goal is a Curt Schilling GU jersey, but I'll have to wait until my wife's accident settlement comes in to be able to afford that. I have a Chief Wahoo logo Indians BP and the only retail item in my collection, a Hardwood Classics Baltimore Bullets warmup top. Bats and caps fall under the same criteria.

Dave Miedema

aus10dixon
05-22-2017, 11:37 PM
I try to stay away from autographed jerseys only so I don't have to deal with fading signatures down the line. It's not a deal-breaker for me, though. Since I collect game used items specifically (no team-issued, etc.), I do photo-match everything I collect. Authentications and certifications are nice, but I don't rely on them. A good photo can prove or disprove what's on that piece of paper any day.

jmeekins33
06-09-2017, 02:31 PM
I don't purchase signed game jerseys either...with rare exception. For me it kinda takes away from the visual appeal. I prefer my stuff to be in the exact condition that it was in when it was worn/used.

My collection isn't very big but I've gotten a lot more picky about what I buy as time has gone on.

skyking26
06-10-2017, 10:46 AM
I've been collecting game used items for nearly 40 years. My habits have pretty much stayed on track over all that time...

Bats - I do not collect cracked bats. On occasion I will buy one if it happens to be a Kingman model I do not have.

Unlike most people here; I prefer my items to be signed by the athlete. I look at it as retiring the item from the field to my collection. I seldom sell anything anyway and its my personal preference.

olegreg
06-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Unlike most people here; I prefer my items to be signed by the athlete.

I am the same way. I prefer my game used items to be signed. Its kind of like the final touch to proving its authenticity. It as nice final touch making it unique and unlike another game jersey which is important to me because if everyone has it, I likely don't want it. When I get a gamer signed, I like to have some stats and inscriptions to go along with it to make it truly a 1/1.

skyking26
06-11-2017, 03:24 PM
I am the same way. I prefer my game used items to be signed. Its kind of like the final touch to proving its authenticity. It as nice final touch making it unique and unlike another game jersey which is important to me because if everyone has it, I likely don't want it. When I get a gamer signed, I like to have some stats and inscriptions to go along with it to make it truly a 1/1.
I could not agree more. Our collecting habits are exact!