PDA

View Full Version : eBay #112422530138: Erroneous Team LOA

sox83cubs84
05-30-2017, 10:06 PM
The above item is a 1992 Cubs home jersey that is authenticated by the team as being a George Bell GU jersey. The only problem is, Bell didn't play for the Cubs in the 1992 regular season, as he was dealt to the White Sox in the Sammy Sosa trade in spring training of that year. I don't doubt that the jersey was likely made for Bell, but, despite the team LOA, I am positive it was never worn by him.

The seller, based on the usually reliable team LOA, surmised in his listing that Bell wore it in 1992 spring training, but, in that era, teams generally wore the previous season's unis in a given year's spring training. In 1991, the Cubs wore Rawlings attire, as it was the last year of the Rawlings uniform deal with MLB. In 1992, Russell began their stint as the contracted MLB uniform supplier. In March exhibitions, however, the Cubs were still wearing their Rawlings threads from '91, a status that even carried over into the first homestand of 1992, as a number of teams and players in both leagues had issues with the first run of Russell unis.

So, if it isn't worn by Bell, then who WAS it worn by? Jeff Kunkel. Still a jersey that is genuine, but the true identity of the wearer is not as desirable.

I will point out also that, at the time, the LOAs were filled out by Cubs gift shop and tent sale employees, many of whom weren't knowledgeable about such intricacies, and a few of whom, not wanting to be bothered with looking up rosters, would hand the LOA blank to the customer and allow him/her to fill it in themselves, though that is not an accusation that this seller did that. The team LOAs of more recent years issued by team Equipment Manager Tom "Otis" Hellman are invariably accurate.

The eBay seller was contacted regarding this and has not responded.

Dave Miedema

bryzzo2016
06-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Looks like the seller just reposted it.

Without any changes regarding "George Bell."

I've seen this seller list some very high end items.

Crazy, he's be pushing this.

sox83cubs84
06-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Looks like the seller just reposted it.

Without any changes regarding "George Bell."

I've seen this seller list some very high end items.

Crazy, he's be pushing this.

He's probably another seller, like one I discussed a few days ago, who assumes any LOA to be 100% unerring whether it came from the Cubs or Cubby O'Brien of the original Mouseketeers. I see it in both politics and memorabilia all the time...people who refuse to accept reality.

Dave M.