PDA

View Full Version : Pujols #600 ball - given back to Albert

Jags Fan Dan
06-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Let me start by saying, big time props to the fan who gave Albert the ball he hit out for #600. What a classy move!

Now to shift gears a little, unless that 23 year old kid is loaded, what a dumb move! Yes, I honestly feel both ways about it.

The kid says he "doesn't feel like the ball belonged to him" despite it landing in his glove. I disagree completely. So, basically, (and I know we are speculating on the value) but at least a 5 figure chunk of cash landed fair and square in the kids glove, and he is giving it for free to a man making $26 million this year? Now, I am sure that even though the kid has not asked for anything, Albert may very well do something for him, I know Albert is a good guy and I am in no way trying to say anything negative about him.

But I'd love to hear what you would honestly do if you caught that ball...

Vintagedeputy
06-05-2017, 10:53 AM
I'm conflicted as well. What an honor it would be to hand the ball the player and shake his hand to say congrats....at the same time, it sure would be nice to know that my kids' college tuition is paid for.....

sherbal15
06-05-2017, 11:45 AM
if I caught it it would be arriving at goldin this morning.

BirdsOnBat
06-05-2017, 12:02 PM
I'd trade it for a Trout bat, auction the Trout bat and thus get back about half the ball's value while making Albert happy in the process. Win/Win.

TBM
06-05-2017, 12:20 PM
I feel both ways too but for sure would get something back out of the deal after all here is a guy that sells his services to which ever team will pay the most for them. I am sure that he would not go play for a small market team for minimum wage, what is it now $540K, or even $5 Million. I would not feel bad for doing the same thing he is doing.

joecoco
06-05-2017, 01:09 PM
College tuition paid for - no brainer. Ken would be getting a nice addition to his auction. I like to think I would do what a " fan " would do and hand the ball back. Having said this, reality sets in with bills to pay and this would take some problems off the table.

sox83cubs84
06-05-2017, 11:00 PM
I'd want a nice memorabilia haul, but not $100K worth, maybe not even $10K worth. My wife and I are about $5K in debt on medical bills and both living off retirement incomes (my authentication earnings notwithstanding). If I got enough of a memorabilia haul to pay off all of the doctor and hospital bills, I'd be good with that.

Dave Miedema

GoCrazyFolks76
06-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Pujols is my all-time favorite player. With that said, I'd sell that thing to the highest bidder with no second thoughts and freeroll my collection for the next few years. It Pujols really wants it, he's got enough money to outbid anybody else.

Buccaneer Madden
06-06-2017, 12:35 AM
Depends on who hit it. If it was somebody I liked I would probably trade it to them for some other gear. If it was a player I didn't like its gonna cost 'em some good cold hard cash.

Buccaneer Madden
06-06-2017, 12:48 AM
And I've always wondered about this. Doesn't the ball technically belong to the pitcher? He touched it, he threw it and if its a ball or strike it goes back to him. The hitter never touches it or really even gets within 2 feet of it any at point really.

ChrisCavalier
06-06-2017, 02:47 AM
This is a really interesting thread.
I think I would auction it and give half of the proceeds to the Albert Pujols Family Foundation.
As GoCrazy said, if Albert really wanted it he could pretty much outbid anyone and half of the money would go to his foundation.
And, even if he didn't want it, half of the money would still go to his foundation.

-Chris

Briggsd719
06-06-2017, 05:37 AM
Very good post. I feel it depends what kind of relationship you have with the player. If Pujols is your favorite player than I would give it to him. I recently found a piece that I think tom brady would like to have back and tried to see if he wanted through twitter and instagram no answer. I know without a doubt if he asked me for piece I would gladly take a handshake and auto and thank him for what he has done for Patriot nation ecspecially me and my dad.
Case in point I went to high school with John McDonald and now my daughter is best friends with his god daughter. I found out I have a lineup card from Yankees in which is his favorite team and he hit a home run against them plus he got into a fight with arod that day. He wanted and asked what I wanted in return which i said nothing. I know not worth much but if value was 10x what it's worth I still would have given to him. If arod were to want it Id tell him 150$ please.
You may regret later on for giving up the dough but for the amount of pleasure they've given you in return should be worth it again as long as you are their fan.

TigersCubs84
06-06-2017, 11:58 AM
I'd charge Pujols for the ball. Trout gamer, Pujols gamer, probably a jersey as well. If he says no, auction time. Pujols isn't the nicest guy, not fan friendly in any way.

metsbats
06-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Pujols or any player reaching such a milestone should give the fan some $$ for forfeiting what could have been. Anyone reaching the 500 or 600 Homerun milestone certainly can afford it.

joecoco
06-06-2017, 12:19 PM
I think an interesting point is what if a player hands you a an unused bat? I think this is usually the case, is a players could care less about handing a fan a PSA 10 gamer. I'm just being a nerd about this, but I think I would refuse an unused bat. How do you have that conversation anyways? Okay, I'm done.

sherbal15
06-06-2017, 12:20 PM
And I've always wondered about this. Doesn't the ball technically belong to the pitcher? He touched it, he threw it and if its a ball or strike it goes back to him. The hitter never touches it or really even gets within 2 feet of it any at point really.

A ball that was tattooed 400 plus feet no longer belongs to the pitcher. The hitter now owns it. Reminds me of the movie Major League 2 when Charlie sheen tells jack Parkman if he can hit the next pitch he can name it. Parkman crushes a homer and says "I think I'll name it the masturbator". Lol love that scene

memorabiliaunlimited
06-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Pujols or any player reaching such a milestone should give the fan some $$ for forfeiting what could have been. Anyone reaching the 500 or 600 Homerun milestone certainly can afford it.

agreed. the fan shouldnt even have to ask for anything in return - pujols is so loaded he should have just offered a wad of $ to the guy who caught it.

absolutely would have sold it. does anyone remember what the guy who caught arod's milestone ball got for it from arod a few years back? was it #600 or #661 i believe? didnt ballhawk come down with that one?

Juicyfruit66
06-06-2017, 09:29 PM
If tables were turned, I guarantee pujols would keep it and sell it

Trublubrucru
06-07-2017, 01:09 PM
The guy who caught Hank Aaron's 700th homer was given 700 silver dollars for it at the time.