PDA

View Full Version : Fake Correa High School Jersey On eBay

memorabiliaunlimited
06-11-2017, 01:26 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112387106449?ul_noapp=true

this fake correa high school jersey was originally offered by goldin auctions a number of auctions ago (probably a year or 2 ago). the completed listing has since been removed from their auction history. the jersey was won by a consignment coordinator of another auction house, i cannot remember exactly which, but do know that it is one that doesnt have the best reputation in terms of offering questionable memorabilia. that individual then sold the jersey directly to me privately. upon receiving it, 5 minutes of research showed that correa wore a different number while at that academy, and that the person mentioned in the LOA as obtaining the jersey directly from correa (mario lopez chang) DID wear the number of the jersey, 44. i found video of him wearing that exact jersey, and photos of correa wearing a different number. i contacted goldin auctions, explained everything i found, and of course they took it back, as they should have.

i do not know how the jersey now ended up in this persons hands. i reached out to them and explained everything described above, and they said that it has a miedema LOA. i told them that miedema is wrong and 5 minutes of research will show that correa didnt wear the jersey. i was then told that my messages were spam.

i know miedema is a member here - perhaps he should reach out to the seller and explain to them that he was incorrect in his assessment and that correa did not wear that jersey. this item should not be on the market.

here are links of correa wearing a different number, and a video of mario lopez chang wearing number 44.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/21250476/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq7YOApX7K0

KGoldin
06-11-2017, 01:58 PM
This jersey was returned to the consignor on November 11 2016
We are not allowed to keep a consignors item even if it proves to be non authentic. We informed the consignor of the findings. Obviously they decided to sell it elsewhere, or maybe got lucky and GMMI accepted a return, although unlikely.
And no we cannot and will never reveal our consignors or winners without their permission so do not bother asking.

BTW it came with a LOA from GMMI, Ariel Gonzalez. We do not accept items with their certification now and, interestingly, they now have their own auction site selling their own items.

sox83cubs84
06-11-2017, 07:50 PM
I just contacted the seller.

Dave M.

memorabiliaunlimited
06-13-2017, 07:38 AM
A+ to everyone here. unfortunately it seems that the seller doesnt want to listen to anyone, as the jersey is still listed. hopefully whoever wants to buy it does their research.

memorabiliaunlimited
06-13-2017, 02:54 PM
the seller contacted me and asked that i post this message:

Please update the forum saying I got it from VSA auctions and spoke to the owner today about getting my money back. If indeed it's not authentic I'm a victim, not the perpetrator. I am an honest and responsible seller. Thanks

Phil316
06-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Yet it is still listed for sale. Honest and responsible ahahahahaha yeah ok. The right thing to do would be to pull the auction.

sox83cubs84
06-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Funny...the seller told me something completely different.

Dave M.

metman80
06-13-2017, 07:37 PM
I have had nothing but bad experiences with VSA. I would not recommend buying anything from them.

KGoldin
06-13-2017, 08:11 PM
I was just reminded that the jersey was brought to goldin auctions attention as being in VSA auctions when their auction was running. As a courtesy Chris emailed them , he will post it or send it to me to post when he is back tonight.
They chose to ignore the email which pointed out that it should be pulled.

BirdsOnBat
06-14-2017, 06:24 AM
upon receiving it, 5 minutes of research showed that correa wore a different number while at that academy

This seems pretty cut and dry, why was the jersey involved in so many transactions to this point and is still in the hobby as a Correa?

KGoldin
06-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2017 8:57 PM
To: steve@VSAauctions.com
Subject: FW: Carlos Correa High School Jersey

Hello Steve,

I wanted to email you about the Carlos Correa high school jersey in your auction (someone just pointed it out to me).
Unfortunately, we had offered this jersey in our auction previously and we were alerted to the fact that the jersey was likely never used by Correa.
To that end, please find below an email Ken received about it (the names have been removed for obvious reasons).
The jersey actually came to us with a GMMI LOA whose items we no longer accept because they have proven to sell to many bad items.

My recommendation would be to pull the jersey given it is likely not a legitimate Correa worn jersey.

Sincerely,
Chris

Christopher Cavalier
Vice President of Consignments - Goldin Auctions
160 East 9th Avenue, Suite A
Runnemede, NJ 08078
www.goldinauctions.com
Cell - 925.413.1429

sox83cubs84
06-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Funny...the seller told me something completely different.

Dave M.

The email I received from Showpiece Sports claimed that the eBay seller had bought the item directly from Ken...total BS, of course. Ken is aware of the response I got and has/is taking action.

Dave M.

Phil316
06-14-2017, 03:58 PM
unbelievable

sox83cubs84
06-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Call off the dogs on Showpiece Sports, as the response he gave to memorabiliaunlimited is the correct one. It came after my eBay contact with the seller, at which time he thought it was bought from Goldin Auctions, as he had the erroneous LOA I issued. After checking, he realized that it had, indeed, come from VSA instead, and said so truthfully to the other member who contacted him. I guess when you bid in multiple auctions, occasionally your first reaction to such a question may not be the correct one. In any event, I firmly believe that Showpiece's response to me was an honest error, and he was not trying to deceive anyone knowingly.

Dave M.

PS: My apologies to all parties for getting that one wrong. I know I'm human and that humans aren't perfect, but I still get pissed at myself when I screw up, no matter how infrequently it happens.

Phil316
06-16-2017, 12:18 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Carlos-Correa-Puerto-School-Miedema/dp/B0713VBQV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497590052&sr=8-1&keywords=Correa+High+School+Jersey

Jersey is still for sale on Amazon by the way. Since the seller switched the ebay auction before he ended it (very sneaky in my opinion) iam adding photos so hopefully no other people get duped.

memorabiliaunlimited
06-16-2017, 08:02 AM
sportsmemorabilia.com (the seller on amazon) does this all the time - they take items that are listed for sale on ebay and other forums and relist them on their site with a tremendous mark up in order to give them plenty of room to buy it from the person who actually owns it if someone were to buy it through them. they did this with my items a couple years ago and i had to contact them in order to have them stop.

here it is available on their website:
http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-products/carlos-correa-2011-game-used-puerto-rico-high-school-jersey-dave-miedema-coa.html

not too sure if many people know this, but sportsmemorabilia.com and fanatics are pretty much the same company or are at least owned by the same company - if you buy from fanatics the charge will show on your statement as coming from sportsmemorabilia.com, and you can buy items listed for sale on sportsmemorabilia.com from fanatics. i am quite sure that their site just hasnt been updated to reflect that the correa jersey is no longer for sale on ebay and therefore no longer available through them. i will give my guy at fanatics a heads up about it and see if anything can be done.

Phil316
06-16-2017, 12:48 PM
i just want the jersey documented. So it does not get passed off again.