PDA

View Full Version : MLB Auction Canceled after I won and paid?

Stanley
06-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Has this ever happened to anyone here? I won a WBC jersey off of MLB almost a month ago. I paid right after auction ended. A couple weeks after the auction I got a tracking # sent to me from UPS saying the package was ready for shipping. A week later still sitting there not picked up. So I send a email to MLB and receive one back saying that shipping takes 2-4 weeks. OK...
Now I get this email from MLB...

This email is in regards to your purchase of MLB Auctions Order # 767410 - 2017 World Baseball Classic: Venezuela Game-Used Road Jersey, Perez #15. Unfortunately this jersey was listed for auction by mistake and is not in our inventory. I went ahead and issued you a full refund for the order, please allow 4-6 business days for the transaction to be reflected on your credit card. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Gregory Novick

E-Commerce Manager, Authentics

I'm just very disappointed to say the least.

Phil316
06-14-2017, 06:25 PM
So either it was lost or sold already.

mrjohnmalton
06-14-2017, 09:38 PM
Listing an item that they don't have is bad enough, but to take that amount of time to inform you and refund your money, is completely ridiculous.

Stanley
06-16-2017, 08:26 AM
Update..
They found the jersey! Email I received..
This jersey was sent to the Topps Company for a sponsorship deal and has already been cut up into jersey swatches. We had an internal mix up that left the jersey on our inventory list and caused the issue.
Heart breaking....
But they are talking to me about another Jersey. Not at all what I won but, it's better than not talking to me. We will see...

Phil316
06-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Update..
This jersey was sent to the Topps Company for a sponsorship deal and has already been cut up into jersey swatches. We had an internal mix up that left the jersey on our inventory list and caused the issue.
Heart breaking....
But they are talking to me about another Jersey. Not at all what I won but, it's better than not talking to me. We will see...

It never even crossed my mind that scenario.

TBM
06-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Update..
Topps Company ..... has already ... cut up into jersey swatches.
Heart breaking....

Good news is, like the Johnny Cash song, I guess now you'll be able to get it "One Piece at a Time.":( You'll just have to stitch it back togther

Popinjaysnamesir
06-17-2017, 01:50 PM
I was the top bidder on two baseballs that MLB emailed me with the same explanation. I won an auction and got the very same thing listed here. They refunded me and sent me a substitute for free. Dunno what happened to them with the WBC.

Buccaneer Madden
06-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Update..
Heart breaking....

Is that still a thing? People really still like those jersey swatch cards? I remember when they first hit and it was nuts but then like 5 years later you could get them for a couple bucks. I figured that "craze" died out. Guess not.

mrjohnmalton
07-14-2017, 11:24 PM
Is that still a thing? People really still like those jersey swatch cards? I remember when they first hit and it was nuts but then like 5 years later you could get them for a couple bucks. I figured that "craze" died out. Guess not.

It is! I don't understand at all, but apparently it never went away, or it's made a comeback. I have an Instagram page that I share some of my collection on. Trading card posts often come up on the "popular" page, and they are often eBay screenshots of people bragging about what they have sold game-worn cards for. In some cases, people could have easily purchased an entire jersey for the prices they are paying for some of these cards. :confused:

CPuente57
07-15-2017, 11:45 AM
It is! I don't understand at all, but apparently it never went away, or it's made a comeback. I have an Instagram page that I share some of my collection on. Trading card posts often come up on the "popular" page, and they are often eBay screenshots of people bragging about what they have sold game-worn cards for. In some cases, people could have easily purchased an entire jersey for the prices they are paying for some of these cards. :confused:

Being that I've been back into collecting cards since last year (after collecting for 20 before selling everything to start a GU collection) I wouldn't say they've made a comeback or anything. In fact, many relics are pretty much near worthless where stars barely command above 10 bucks. Exceptions are of course Bat Barrells, Logomen, and Huge Logo/Multi colored Patches, but as far as your typical plain 1 color relic card, they're only considered a "hit" by the manufacturer..many people find them useless

mrjohnmalton
07-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Exceptions are of course Bat Barrells, Logomen, and Huge Logo/Multi colored Patches

These are often the examples that pop up. I saw a screenshot of a Giancarlo Stanton bat knob card auction the other day. While Stanton bats are obviously not cheap, the person could have spent another 100-150 and gotten a full, intact Stanton game used bat. Obviously, it's not up to me how people spend there money, but I am just curious if some of these people know what they could really be getting for the prices they are paying.

CPuente57
07-15-2017, 02:25 PM
These are often the examples that pop up. I saw a screenshot of a Giancarlo Stanton bat knob card auction the other day. While Stanton bats are obviously not cheap, the person could have spent another 100-150 and gotten a full, intact Stanton game used bat. Obviously, it's not up to me how people spend there money, but I am just curious if some of these people know what they could really be getting for the prices they are paying.

Yeah...when you ask a card collector "why a relic when you get the full authenticated item cheaper" their answer will always be one of two things

A) I collect cards, not game used items

B) Game Used items harder to store than cards

Card collectors for the most part, literally don't care about the authenticity of the items card companies put on their cards, all that matters is the looks of it. Me personally, give me the authenticated full item over a questionable piece of fabric/bat piece any day of the week. To each their own though

sox83cubs84
07-15-2017, 11:44 PM
If they want to continue this crap, let them cannibalize their own hobby, not ours. Topps, Panini, or whomever can buy a Wagner card, a Lajoie Goudey, and a T206 Magie error and cut them up. Given the size of the cards, they'd definitely be limited in quantity, and, like jerseys and bats, most card collectors wouldn't know if their card swatch was real or fake. I know it'll never happen, but it's nice to think about.

Dave Miedema

CPuente57
07-16-2017, 09:21 AM
If they want to continue this crap, let them cannibalize their own hobby, not ours. Topps, Panini, or whomever can buy a Wagner card, a Lajoie Goudey, and a T206 Magie error and cut them up. Given the size of the cards, they'd definitely be limited in quantity, and, like jerseys and bats, most card collectors wouldn't know if their card swatch was real or fake. I know it'll never happen, but it's nice to think about.

Dave Miedema

And honestly, I don't think card collectors would miss them very much. It was a unique idea 20-22 years ago but it's been overproduced for years now and with all the authentication problems, collectors like myself are tired of opening up a high end $100 plus box and pulling a jersey swatch relic that maybe worth $1-$5 dollars. They simply aren't in demand anymore outside of those exceptions.