PDA

View Full Version : Keith Hernandez photomatch?

Jim65
06-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Is there enough here to photomatch?

TigersCubs84
06-22-2017, 07:38 PM
I can't rule it in, but can't rule it out either. The 1 and 7 match up real well. Too far away to really examine the e in Mets and the C.

metsbats
06-22-2017, 08:52 PM
On the mid 80's pinstripes where the pinstripe meets the v neck are unique. I noticed this on a lot of my 86 gamers.

This looks pretty close to me.

metsbats
06-22-2017, 09:00 PM
however...

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/1987_keith_hernandez_new_york_mets_signed_home_jer-lot64456.aspx

Jim65
06-23-2017, 02:57 AM
however...

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/1987_keith_hernandez_new_york_mets_signed_home_jer-lot64456.aspx

I know about the MEARS auction, they are basing their opinion solely on the fact there was a Gerry Cosby tag but there are other Mets gamers with similar tags. I showed the jersey to a friend who is a big Yankee collector and he thinks the jersey was sent to Cosby to add the captains C, hence the Cosby tag. I believe MEARS is wrong and the best way to prove that is a photomatch. heres a pic of the label, there are several 1987 Mets gamers with a similar Rawlings label.

joecoco
06-23-2017, 05:23 AM
Whoa. This jersey is getting "no respect. Tough crowd." Sorry, I love Rodney, had to say it.

metsbats
06-23-2017, 09:15 AM
I know about the MEARS auction, they are basing their opinion solely on the fact there was a Gerry Cosby tag but there are other Mets gamers with similar tags. I showed the jersey to a friend who is a big Yankee collector and he thinks the jersey was sent to Cosby to add the captains C, hence the Cosby tag. I believe MEARS is wrong and the best way to prove that is a photomatch. heres a pic of the label, there are several 1987 Mets gamers with a similar Rawlings label.

Could be.

if this is true this certainly why jersey is a very close photo match to the photo. (we cannot verify the 'C' captains patch)

metsbats
06-23-2017, 09:23 AM
I just sent a text to John Ruffino who used to be the assistant equipment manager for the Mets in the mid 80's. Let's see if he can help us verify the Cosby tag.

metsbats
06-23-2017, 09:31 AM
John states that the "C" was done by Stitches (who they've used for a long time). After seeing the tags he thinks it's a Cosby retail too.

He also noted that the flag tag and strip tag DOES NOT match.

Flag tag is SET 1 while the strip tag is set 2 (87 2 17) which is another red flag.

metsbats
06-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Another tidbit on set 1 vs set 2. During the 80's the Mets had set 1 and set 2 jerseys and pants. Typically set 2 pants were used only in BP and set 1 were used strictly in games.

Stanley
06-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Sorry my eyes are playing tricks on me...
I've been told..

metsbats
06-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Does it look like there is less space between the last pinstripe and the racing stripe on the jersey vs the photo jersey?

Could be an illusion due to photo angle in the jersey photo. Laying the jersey flat with more of the racing stripe showing may show more of a match.

metsbats
06-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Here's an old thread on this jersey:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=54767&highlight=Keith+Hernandez+1987

Jim65
06-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Here's an old thread on this jersey:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=54767&highlight=Keith+Hernandez+1987

I started that thread when I bought the jersey, based on comments there, I assumed retail but I have never seen retails tagged like that except Scoreboard jerseys which this obviously is not.

Jim65
06-23-2017, 11:08 AM
John states that the "C" was done by Stitches (who they've used for a long time). After seeing the tags he thinks it's a Cosby retail too.

He also noted that the flag tag and strip tag DOES NOT match.

Flag tag is SET 1 while the strip tag is set 2 (87 2 17) which is another red flag.

Ballpark Heroes sold a 1987 Tom Edens that had a Gerry Cosby tag and there is a 1987 Kevin McReynolds jersey that has mismatched set and strip tags exactly like mine. Im wishing now that I saved the pics.

metsbats
06-23-2017, 12:33 PM
https://goldinauctions.com/Lot_of__4__1980_s_Game_Used_New_York_Mets_Jerseys_-LOT27438.aspx#

Here's a Keith Miller with a Cosby tag too.

Personally I think if there are other known examples of "gamers" with Cosby tagging, and with inconsistent tagging along with the photo matching evidence, there is a good chance that the Hernandez you own is the one in the photo.

Fact would always trump anyone's memory of what happened 30 years ago. (with all due respect to John).

Jim65
06-23-2017, 01:28 PM
https://goldinauctions.com/Lot_of__4__1980_s_Game_Used_New_York_Mets_Jerseys_-LOT27438.aspx#

Here's a Keith Miller with a Cosby tag too.

Personally I think if there are other known examples of "gamers" with Cosby tagging, and with inconsistent tagging along with the photo matching evidence, there is a good chance that the Hernandez you own is the one in the photo.

Fact would always trump anyone's memory of what happened 30 years ago. (with all due respect to John).

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate the help.

I would love to find a clear photo of Hernandez from 1987 showing him from the back, the Mets stopped using nameplates in 1987 so lettering to pinstripes should provide the perfect photomatch opportunity.

BirdsOnBat
06-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Great thread. Very cool to see new/more information surface in the hobby that can help others in the future.

metsbats
06-23-2017, 02:34 PM

I would love to find a clear photo of Hernandez from 1987 showing him from the back, the Mets stopped using nameplates in 1987 so lettering to pinstripes should provide the perfect photomatch opportunity.

I'm going to see John tonight and will ask him one more time about the Cosby tags. Will let you know if I get more info.

From reading Russ Gompers bio on the Stitches site which stated he didn't start doing business with the Mets till 1995. (7 years after the 86 WS year)

So I could be very plausible Gerry Cosby did custom stitching before 1995.

In October of 1969, I slept at Shea Stadium to get my play-off and World Series tickets.
On October 3rd 1986, my dad passed away. As I sat at every game rooting on my team, I watched as me and my dad helped the Mets become World Champs. Who would have thought that 7 years later I would have a business that was doing the stitching for the NY Mets. It’s been a dream come true. The fantasy ride has taken me into the clubhouse with all the players – to many games – home and away and to Japan to open up the 2000 season. It is truly amazing – I love doing what I do and I try to make everyone’s uniforms awesome so that they feel like “Pro’s” too.

sox83cubs84
06-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Ballpark Heroes sold a 1987 Tom Edens that had a Gerry Cosby tag and there is a 1987 Kevin McReynolds jersey that has mismatched set and strip tags exactly like mine. I'm wishing now that I saved the pics.

I've made mention of this before, but will be glad to do so again: Rawlings flag tags use set numbers that indicate whether the jersey is part of the original team order (SET 1) or ordered later in the season (SET 2). The strip tag set number is the actual set number in terms of how most suppliers (Wilson, Majestic, Russell) identify them.

Mismatched set numbers such as those mentioned about the Mets aren't red flags in and of themselves. I've seen these not only on Mets Rawlings gamers from the late 1980s, but Cubs and A's gamers, as well.

Dave Miedema

metsbats
06-23-2017, 07:58 PM
I've made mention of this before, but will be glad to do so again: Rawlings flag tags use set numbers that indicate whether the jersey is part of the original team order (SET 1) or ordered later in the season (SET 2). The strip tag set number is the actual set number in terms of how most suppliers (Wilson, Majestic, Russell) identify them.

Mismatched set numbers such as those mentioned about the Mets aren't red flags in and of themselves. I've seen these not only on Mets Rawlings gamers from the late 1980s, but Cubs and A's gamers, as well.

Dave Miedema

Thanks Dave. Great info!

bgakladd
06-23-2017, 09:27 PM

Here you go....June 9th, 1987

Jim65
06-24-2017, 05:01 AM
Here you go....June 9th, 1987

Wow, thank you so much, I would call this a photomatch.

metsbats
06-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Awesome!!

metsbats
06-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Here's a better photo of the front.

Jim65
06-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Here's a better photo of the front.

Thank you so much for your help. I think it safe to say its a 100% photomatch.

metsbats
06-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Thank you so much for your help. I think it safe to say its a 100% photomatch.

Yes Sir. And we all gained a lot more knowledge too!

BirdsOnBat
06-26-2017, 06:36 AM
Awesome work guys. Great thread.