Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allstarsplus
    • Nov 2005

Message from Cal Ripken's Ironclad

Many of you have probably received this email, but I wanted to Post it here.

Up for bids is a New Yorker style leather Fire helmet signed by Cal Ripken, Jr., authenticated by Ironclad Authentics. Ironclad Authentics, a division of Ripken Baseball had Cal Ripken, Jr. autograph the helmet for a fundraiser to support Devin Fales. Devin is an 8-yr old child with a rare form of anemia that causes bone marrow failure.

The members of The First Hose Company of Boonsboro, MD are handling the sale of this helmet for Devin. Included with the helmet are pictures of Cal Ripken, Jr wearing the helmet, and a certificate authenticating the signature.

The helmet is white leather. The shield is white with an orange 8, between orange Ripken and Orioles. This is a one of a kind item with the value to surely increase, with Cal's recent selection to the Baseball Hall of Fame. The reserve is very low, considering the value of this piece of collectible firefighting / sports memorabilia.

The goal of this auction is to raise money for young Devin, so please bid with your hearts, as well as your wallet, and remember, it's a charitable contribution. We will issue the necessary information for your tax purposes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500
  • allstarsplus
    • Nov 2005

Re: Message from Cal Ripken's Ironclad

This auction ends this evening and so far there have only been 3 bidders. I am the High Bidder #3 so hopefully someone can outbid me!!!!

Andrew
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Comment

• ripkengamers
      • Nov 2005

Andrew,
      Looks like someone has out bid you...........by the tone of your email you sounded like you were hoping you did not get stuck shelling out over $850 for the hat! Wish I had the funds or I'd bid myself
      :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

Comment

• allstarsplus
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ripkengamers
        Andrew,
        Looks like someone has out bid you...........by the tone of your email you sounded like you were hoping you did not get stuck shelling out over $850 for the hat! Wish I had the funds or I'd bid myself
        Dan - Good read on that! I didn't need a fire helmet but I was happy to bid---if I won it---it would go up on a shelf with all my other oddball items.

My guess is Brett outbid me!!!

Andrew
        Regards,
        Andrew Lang
        AllstarsPlus@aol.com
        202-716-8500

Comment

• hblakewolf
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Andrew-

Not to be difficult, however, why in the world would you or anyone who buys/sells game used equipment want this? I understand that the $$ is going to a great cause, but what's your interest in it? I could see it if it was somehow related to his playing days in some capacity, but come on.........a fireman's helmet that's been schmaltzed-up?

Howard Wolf
          hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

Comment

• camarokids
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by hblakewolf
            Andrew-

Not to be difficult, however, why in the world would you or anyone who buys/sells game used equipment want this? I understand that the $$ is going to a great cause, but what's your interest in it? I could see it if it was somehow related to his playing days in some capacity, but come on.........a fireman's helmet that's been schmaltzed-up?

Howard Wolf
            hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

I concur , I am sure it is at least thoughtful what Ripken did , but if he and other rich people really wanted to help , just donate some of the millions you have in the bank, can't take it with you when you die . That helmet would be worth what $50.00 afterwards, not increase in value . Good luck to the winner when they go to sell it . So they want the average guy to fork out some money for a piece of crap helmet to help the kid .....so why not give the bidders something nice to own such as a real ripken p-72 gamer.....then your at least getting something nice.....the guy charges $275 for an auto ball ... why not do a signing and have the proceeds got to the kid, as I was saying if they really wanted to help, they could do more....just my take on it unless I'm missing out on some info here...
            Thank you,
            David

This is my email address here!
            dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• ironmanfan
              • Sep 2005

Wow, it's really hard to believe what i'm reading. An area fire company has a special fire helmet made (the so called "piece of crap" helmet) & asks Cal if he would simply sign it so they can auction it to raise money for a sick child & someone finds fault with that? Everyone knows that charity-related items sell more than their "retail" worth and that the high bidder may have charity on their mind vs. long term investment value. Besides, how do you know that Cal didn't give anything else for this venture? Ok, maybe he didnt give them a game used P72 but if all he did was provide them with a signature, he did more than 99.9% of the rest of us.

Comment

• mr.miracle
                • Apr 2006

Andrew & Fellow Members:

I was thinking of jumping in on this one since it is going for a great cause but did not or have not done so. Cudos to Andrew and several other members for supporting this effort for a sick child. Like Ironmanfan said, maybe it is not a game used P-72 but it is a unique piece nonetheless and if it can do some good then that is the bottom line.
                Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• bigtime59
                  • Nov 2005

Let's not forget...if you're in the right place at the right time, you can still get Cal's signature for free...it's just a lot harder to know when he's going to show up in Aberdeen than it used to be in Baltimore!
                  Mark
                  msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• ironmanfan
                    • Sep 2005

True Mark, but I don't think this is about getting Cal's autograph (lets face it, he probably signed a million autographs for free over the past 25 years) but more for someone just trying to help a charitable cause & being criticized because (at least in the mind of one person), it just wasn't "enough." Well, the auction ended 2nite and some lucky bidder won the "piece of crap" helmet for $900. He may be the poor guy because when he tries to sell it down the road, he'll be lucky to get $50 for it, but at least in the eyes of one kid he's the better man.

Comment

• camarokids
                      • Jun 2006

I knew I would take some heat for the comment , lots of Ripken faithful, but it's my opinion . Looking from both sides of the story , it was nice what he did by signing a helmet and put it on his head . BUT , he could've offered to do WAY more , was just my take on it. Like a "hey while your at it here's 5k" or let me do this or that . Who would be the hero and better man to the kid then ...... instead of an anonymous bidder ..... He and so many other athletes/actors are in a rare position of power and wealth . Just thought he could've done more to spread the wealth . I don't think $900 is going to go far toward the kids medical bills even if they have insurance . Just my opinion , we all have one ..........
                      Thank you,
                      David

dzscope at gmail dot com

Comment

• camarokids
                        • Jun 2006

let me just add , ripken jr. has/had a reputation as being very fan friendly and I'm sure he has done charity work b4 or still is ... I met him in 1994 and he was very nice.....
                        Thank you,
                        David

dzscope at gmail dot com

Comment

• allstarsplus
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by hblakewolf
                          Andrew-

I just got back to DC from the NBA All Star weekend in Vegas and never got the chance to turn on my computer until today. Maybe I have a different view of charitable giving. Any time more money is raised for a legitimate charity is good. To someone, that fire helmet may become their prized possession. I am sure the firefighters that took their time to personalize it thought so.

Howard, read Dan's post as he read between the lines as I didn't want the fireman's helmet, but if I won it and helped out a sick kid then that is great. Trust me, I have plenty of oddball items that I have purchased just this same way----and when I see them they always put a smile on my face.

In the meantime, I contacted Brad Knauss with IronClad with some suggestions for the family of setting up more effective charity listings on eBay through MissionFish. eBay with MissionFish give greater exposure to charitable efforts and automatically sends the designated proceeds direct to the charity.

Originally posted by camarokids
                          I concur , I am sure it is at least thoughtful what Ripken did , but if he and other rich people really wanted to help , just donate some of the millions you have in the bank, can't take it with you when you die . That helmet would be worth what $50.00 afterwards, not increase in value ......so why not give the bidders something nice to own such as a real ripken p-72 gamer.....then your at least getting something nice.....
                          How do you know Cal didn't write a check? At the least, he donated his time and IronClad's time to promote this item.

Cal has contributed in odd ways before with his game used equipment. When I was a volunteer in the early days of the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation, some company came up with a fundraiser of taking some of Cal's broken P72 bats and making them into game used wooden pens.....oh yah, it really happened. I told the head of the charity that they would have raised $1,000's more selling the bat "as is".

I applaud Cal's efforts and anyone else that gives their time and/or money for a good cause.

Andrew
                          Regards,
                          Andrew Lang
                          AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                          202-716-8500

Comment

• Jonathan
                            • Jun 2006

Do you know where we can get some P-72 Pen's??

Comment

• allstarsplus
                              • Nov 2005

I found this on a Google search but they only have ARod pens now

Purchase memorabilia, apparel and merchandise:
                              The Foundation sells a variety of unique collectibles, many of which have been autographed by Cal Ripken, Jr. and Bill Ripken. Limited edition lithographs, Louisville Slugger bats inscribed with the Foundation logo, and pens made from the broken bats of Cal Ripken, Jr. and Alex Rodriguez are all available. Apparel and other merchandise is also for saleā€¦find a perfect gift for a friend or family member! Click here to shop now.

Regards,
                              Andrew Lang
                              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                              202-716-8500

Comment

Working...