PDA

View Full Version : Message from Cal Ripken's Ironclad

allstarsplus
02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Many of you have probably received this email, but I wanted to Post it here.

Up for bids is a New Yorker style leather Fire helmet signed by Cal Ripken, Jr., authenticated by Ironclad Authentics. Ironclad Authentics, a division of Ripken Baseball had Cal Ripken, Jr. autograph the helmet for a fundraiser to support Devin Fales. Devin is an 8-yr old child with a rare form of anemia that causes bone marrow failure.

The members of The First Hose Company of Boonsboro, MD are handling the sale of this helmet for Devin. Included with the helmet are pictures of Cal Ripken, Jr wearing the helmet, and a certificate authenticating the signature.

The helmet is white leather. The shield is white with an orange 8, between orange Ripken and Orioles. This is a one of a kind item with the value to surely increase, with Cal's recent selection to the Baseball Hall of Fame. The reserve is very low, considering the value of this piece of collectible firefighting / sports memorabilia.

The goal of this auction is to raise money for young Devin, so please bid with your hearts, as well as your wallet, and remember, it's a charitable contribution. We will issue the necessary information for your tax purposes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270088476642&fromMakeTrack=true

allstarsplus
02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
This auction ends this evening and so far there have only been 3 bidders. I am the High Bidder #3 so hopefully someone can outbid me!!!!

Andrew

ripkengamers
02-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Andrew,
Looks like someone has out bid you...........by the tone of your email you sounded like you were hoping you did not get stuck shelling out over $850 for the hat! Wish I had the funds or I'd bid myself

allstarsplus
02-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Andrew,
Looks like someone has out bid you...........by the tone of your email you sounded like you were hoping you did not get stuck shelling out over $850 for the hat! Wish I had the funds or I'd bid myself

Dan - Good read on that! I didn't need a fire helmet but I was happy to bid---if I won it---it would go up on a shelf with all my other oddball items.

My guess is Brett outbid me!!!

Andrew

hblakewolf
02-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Andrew-

Not to be difficult, however, why in the world would you or anyone who buys/sells game used equipment want this? I understand that the $$ is going to a great cause, but what's your interest in it? I could see it if it was somehow related to his playing days in some capacity, but come on.........a fireman's helmet that's been schmaltzed-up?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

camarokids
02-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Andrew-

Not to be difficult, however, why in the world would you or anyone who buys/sells game used equipment want this? I understand that the $$ is going to a great cause, but what's your interest in it? I could see it if it was somehow related to his playing days in some capacity, but come on.........a fireman's helmet that's been schmaltzed-up?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

I concur , I am sure it is at least thoughtful what Ripken did , but if he and other rich people really wanted to help , just donate some of the millions you have in the bank, can't take it with you when you die . That helmet would be worth what $50.00 afterwards, not increase in value . Good luck to the winner when they go to sell it . So they want the average guy to fork out some money for a piece of crap helmet to help the kid .....so why not give the bidders something nice to own such as a real ripken p-72 gamer.....then your at least getting something nice.....the guy charges $275 for an auto ball ... why not do a signing and have the proceeds got to the kid, as I was saying if they really wanted to help, they could do more....just my take on it unless I'm missing out on some info here...

ironmanfan
02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Wow, it's really hard to believe what i'm reading. An area fire company has a special fire helmet made (the so called "piece of crap" helmet) & asks Cal if he would simply sign it so they can auction it to raise money for a sick child & someone finds fault with that? Everyone knows that charity-related items sell more than their "retail" worth and that the high bidder may have charity on their mind vs. long term investment value. Besides, how do you know that Cal didn't give anything else for this venture? Ok, maybe he didnt give them a game used P72 but if all he did was provide them with a signature, he did more than 99.9% of the rest of us.

mr.miracle
02-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Andrew & Fellow Members:

I was thinking of jumping in on this one since it is going for a great cause but did not or have not done so. Cudos to Andrew and several other members for supporting this effort for a sick child. Like Ironmanfan said, maybe it is not a game used P-72 but it is a unique piece nonetheless and if it can do some good then that is the bottom line.

bigtime59
02-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Let's not forget...if you're in the right place at the right time, you can still get Cal's signature for free...it's just a lot harder to know when he's going to show up in Aberdeen than it used to be in Baltimore!

ironmanfan
02-16-2007, 11:02 PM
True Mark, but I don't think this is about getting Cal's autograph (lets face it, he probably signed a million autographs for free over the past 25 years) but more for someone just trying to help a charitable cause & being criticized because (at least in the mind of one person), it just wasn't "enough." Well, the auction ended 2nite and some lucky bidder won the "piece of crap" helmet for $900. He may be the poor guy because when he tries to sell it down the road, he'll be lucky to get $50 for it, but at least in the eyes of one kid he's the better man.

camarokids
02-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I knew I would take some heat for the comment , lots of Ripken faithful, but it's my opinion :D. Looking from both sides of the story , it was nice what he did by signing a helmet and put it on his head . BUT , he could've offered to do WAY more , was just my take on it. Like a "hey while your at it here's 5k" or let me do this or that . Who would be the hero and better man to the kid then ...... instead of an anonymous bidder ..... He and so many other athletes/actors are in a rare position of power and wealth . Just thought he could've done more to spread the wealth . I don't think $900 is going to go far toward the kids medical bills even if they have insurance . Just my opinion , we all have one :)..........

camarokids
02-17-2007, 07:56 PM
let me just add , ripken jr. has/had a reputation as being very fan friendly and I'm sure he has done charity work b4 or still is ... I met him in 1994 and he was very nice.....

allstarsplus
02-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Andrew-

I just got back to DC from the NBA All Star weekend in Vegas and never got the chance to turn on my computer until today. Maybe I have a different view of charitable giving. Any time more money is raised for a legitimate charity is good. To someone, that fire helmet may become their prized possession. I am sure the firefighters that took their time to personalize it thought so.

Howard, read Dan's post as he read between the lines as I didn't want the fireman's helmet, but if I won it and helped out a sick kid then that is great. Trust me, I have plenty of oddball items that I have purchased just this same way----and when I see them they always put a smile on my face.

In the meantime, I contacted Brad Knauss with IronClad with some suggestions for the family of setting up more effective charity listings on eBay through MissionFish. eBay with MissionFish give greater exposure to charitable efforts and automatically sends the designated proceeds direct to the charity.

I concur , I am sure it is at least thoughtful what Ripken did , but if he and other rich people really wanted to help , just donate some of the millions you have in the bank, can't take it with you when you die . That helmet would be worth what $50.00 afterwards, not increase in value ......so why not give the bidders something nice to own such as a real ripken p-72 gamer.....then your at least getting something nice..... How do you know Cal didn't write a check? At the least, he donated his time and IronClad's time to promote this item.

Cal has contributed in odd ways before with his game used equipment. When I was a volunteer in the early days of the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation, some company came up with a fundraiser of taking some of Cal's broken P72 bats and making them into game used wooden pens.....oh yah, it really happened. I told the head of the charity that they would have raised $1,000's more selling the bat "as is".

I applaud Cal's efforts and anyone else that gives their time and/or money for a good cause.

Andrew

Jonathan
02-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Do you know where we can get some P-72 Pen's??

allstarsplus
02-19-2007, 09:13 PM
I found this on a Google search but they only have ARod pens now

http://ripkenfoundation.org.ismmedia.com/ISM2//SitePhotos/brown_box.gifPurchase memorabilia, apparel and merchandise:
The Foundation sells a variety of unique collectibles, many of which have been autographed by Cal Ripken, Jr. and Bill Ripken. Limited edition lithographs, Louisville Slugger bats inscribed with the Foundation logo, and pens made from the broken bats of Cal Ripken, Jr. and Alex Rodriguez are all available. Apparel and other merchandise is also for sale…find a perfect gift for a friend or family member! Click here to shop now. (http://www.ripkenfoundation.org/merchandise/)

http://www.ripkenfoundation.org/merchandise/?item_id=8876&cat=372&sub=372

http://ripkenfoundation.org.ismmedia.com/ISM2/MerchandiseManager/209.jpeg.300.jpeg

mr.miracle
02-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Hello Forum Readers:

I realize that this auction is not going to directly help a sick child so it is probably a waste of time either way. There is a link provided to a current ebay auction the benefits of which assist the Cal Ripken Sr. foundation. It runs for six days yet and is a 1 0f 1 Big League Chew signed piece by Cal Ripken Jr. Since it is not a game used bat or other game used item I am not sure why anyone would want to add this piece of crap to their collection :rolleyes: however it is going for a worthy cause so may the end result be a great sale for the foundation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-Signed-Ltd-Ed-Big-League-Chew-Gum-Pack_W0QQitemZ320083552368QQihZ011QQcategoryZ53QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

It is good to see that we still recongnize the value of doing what is right sometimes instead of always trying to line our own collections with a piece that we can spin around for a quick profit.

camarokids
02-21-2007, 12:16 PM
My thoughts when I made the original post were simply this:
Oh great another auction for charity, why don't rich people just donate cash , instead of relying on the middle class to bid on their stuff.....and sometimes people who do bid ,get in over their heads ..and then when I saw what was being auctioned :rolleyes:......

I wasn't ripping ripken directly or picking on your hero , but if he can hawk his sig for $275 a pop , I figured, shouldn't we expect more from him and others??????

The idea of making the helmet and helping the kid and whomever bid on the item were noble ones , I am not disputing that fact.....I don't believe I was mocking charities or the giving to them..... even though a certian few deserve more than a mocking...

The helmet in my eyes looks like a piece of crap (my opinion ,don't like , too bad) . Real firemans helmets cost over/around $300 w/out the visor. Had they sold a p-72 of ripkens or if he did a small signing , they would've got thousands more for the kid . IF that was the REAL goal here? Thats the point I was making. I don't collect ripken stuff nor care to so it doesn't affect me .

Also I do believe I put a disclosure at the end saying " it's my take on it unless I'm missing out on some info here" . I didn't know if he wrote a check or not, that's why I put the disclosure.

I don't buy anything for a quick profit, or to sell . I bought three batting helmets from the devil rays rays foundation for $150 a pop . they are worth what $50 -$75 each , look at jake33 he spent thousands and is now trying to sell for a loss (look under items for sale) .

If you can afford to spend $900 for a oddball item ,kudos to you !

I am a stay at home dad and have to beg , plead and barter my services (lol) to get money from my wife to buy my game used stuff . Took some smooozing for a little while then she was ok with $450 for the helmets ...so a $900 purchase would be the highlight of my collection..

A former employer of mine (not in my wallet), sponsored an after school program for under-priviledged children . I spent several years on my days off serving lunches to poor kids at the West Tampa Boys and Girls Club . I would be scheduled for 1 day a week . But usually someone else would cancel and I would help fill the gap . I would also clean the dishes afterwards and take out the trash too (a lot of work) . A 45 minute drive one way. It was a very rewarding experience. Did face paintings , games and stuff . At Xmas all the kids would get a present , for most it would be the only one they would get that year . Your daddy is in jail or died of aids and mommy is on crack or heroin , was a common thing I would hear about their parents . I would like to think I made a positive impact on at least one child's life and then I would feel like I helped make a small difference in a cruel world . Just when you think you have it bad , think again , is what I have learned.

I gave Ms. Willie (the kids and everybody called her that)(who ran the program) over two dozen signed and framed 8 x 10's from my own collection to sell and get money for the program. I took my sports posters and hung them up in the cafeteria , planted trees ,etc....

So, yes I know what its like to volunteer my time and money too !!!

camarokids
02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
I say why don't we have The 2007 Game Used Universe Forum Auction in the benefit of Devin ,this young kid needs our help . Someone volunteer to run it , maybe I could do it , we need an auction site(ebay), and all of has a bat or two or signed baseball to get rid of . Then donate the cash to help the kid . Actually we could do paypal payment and the money would go directly to their bank account. I would volunteer to do it . It would take a little work and time but I do have extra time most days . Would ebay and paypal lower or drop their fees for a charity auction ?

I assume people would ship items to me. Don't worry , I DO NOT need to steal , if I need money I just ask my wife . I can take pics and then leave them boxed and ready to ship to the buyer (that would save a lot of time, no boxing up and searching for boxes to do) ,list on ebay , winning bidder pays with paypal , send money to Devin's family email address , then they do a bank wire transfer.

This should be fairly easy to operate and set up . Just need a consignment deadline and contact info for Devin's family and where to send the money, to get started .Also Chris ,Eric or Rob your help would be needed to advertise on the site that we need donations.

Well what do you think , I can donate some Pirate bats and also have some signed 8 x 10's .... what about you??:)

dzscope@earthlink.net (dzscope@earthlink.net)

we can use the power of this site (the great internet) with it's great members to do some real good stuff here and help a little kid .....:cool:

camarokids
02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I see on ebay u can designate a charity for you proceeds to go to . Anyone capable of selling on ebay could list your own items and send the money to the email address of this kid , if someone can get ahold of them and ask if they want us to do this.....