PDA

View Full Version : Whos that? Playing Where?

suave1477
02-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey Members I thought this would be a fun thread to start up!!!

Can you name a player who totally played a position out of his norm?

Ill start!!

Jose Canseco actually pitched in a game for Texas in 2003
Paul Oneil actually pitched in a game for the Reds in 1987

Anyone else have any?

JasonM33
02-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Canseco pitched for Texas in 1993. The story is that Clemens wanted to come in and bat agains thim but the manager would'nt let him. That would have been cool.

-Jason M

cjclong
02-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Mike Lamb caught in a game for the Rangers a few years back. Due to the results I don't belive its been repeated.

Kid4hof03
02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Boggs pitched for the Yankees

3arod13
02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Arod playing 3rd base for the Yankees, which beyond what many may say, he has played at 3rd as if he's played 3rd base his whole career! Played 10 years at SS (1994-2003) before switching to 3B (2004) with the Yankees.

bscott
02-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Speaking of "out of position"....

Jason Giambi has been seen playing first base for the Yankees the past few seasons.

Ouch.

Many things have been said about him, but nobody has ever accused Giambi of having "soft hands" in the field.

sylbry
02-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Although not being known to play any one position in particular Cesar Tovar played all nine positions in one game for the Twins in 1968 becoming only the second player to do so. Bert Campaneris was the first in 1965.

Scott Sheldon and Shane Halter are the two players who have done it since.

sylbry
02-16-2007, 11:17 AM
While we are on the topic, although it never happened Tom Kelly said that he had planned on using outfielder Dan Gladden to pitch the 13th inning of Game 3 of the 1991 World Series. All of the Twins relief pitchers had been used. However Mark Lemke's game winning hit in the 12th prevented Gladden from making his World Series pitching debut.

suave1477
02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
3arod13 dont know if that qualifies for being completely out of the norm all he did was mover a position.

Like Sheff moving from outfield to first base.

3arod13
02-16-2007, 11:24 AM
3arod13 dont know if that qualifies for being completely out of the norm all he did was mover a position.

Like Sheff moving from outfield to first base.

Question was: Can you name a player who totally played a position out of his norm?

Arod TOTALLY played a position out of his norm as he never played 3rd base before! Just because he remained there, doesn't mean this doesn't qualify.

suave1477
02-16-2007, 11:29 AM
3arod13 ok I think your missing the jist of the topic there are tons of players who have tried a different base thats nothing uncommon. This subject is about pointing out completely uncommon.

3arod13
02-16-2007, 11:56 AM
3arod13 ok I think your missing the jist of the topic there are tons of players who have tried a different base thats nothing uncommon. This subject is about pointing out completely uncommon.

Whatever. I'm not going to turn a fun thing into a debate. Have a nice day!

Yankwood
02-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Sam McDowell was once removed from pitching and inserted into the game as a 2nd baseman. I think Ron Guidry played CF for the Yankees, too.

suave1477
02-16-2007, 12:35 PM
I got another one Yogi Berra moved form catcher to outfielder

TNTtoys
02-16-2007, 12:50 PM
An all time classic for all of you Mets fans... Mets trailing in a July 1986 game vs. the Cincinnati Reds. Ray Knight gets tossed from the game after getting into a fight with Eric Davis... Davey Johnson uses all of his bench players to fight back into the game... Jesse Orosco and Roger McDowell platoon between OUTFIELD and pitcher until the Mets finally pull out the win.

Yankwood
02-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Kind of different. When Elston Howard took over as catcher, Yogi played alot of left field.

TNTtoys
02-16-2007, 12:57 PM
An all time classic for all of you Mets fans... Mets trailing in a July 1986 game vs. the Cincinnati Reds. Ray Knight gets tossed from the game after getting into a fight with Eric Davis... Davey Johnson uses all of his bench players to fight back into the game... Jesse Orosco and Roger McDowell platoon between OUTFIELD and pitcher until the Mets finally pull out the win.

I found the original article. Enjoy!!!

Wack job: Pitchers forced into OF duty
BY ANTHONY RIEBER
Newsday Staff Writer

On July 22, the Mets were one out away from a 3-1 loss to the Reds when Cincinnati rightfielder Dave Parker dropped the potential final out, a fly ball to the warning track hit by Keith Hernandez, for a game-tying two-run error.

Then things got really weird.

In the 10th, Reds outfielder Eric Davis, pinch running for player/manager Pete Rose, stole third base, popped up and elbowed and pushed Ray Knight. The Mets' third baseman, a former Golden Gloves boxer, responded with a right hand to Davis' face that led to a bench-clearing melee, four ejections, and the sight of Roger McDowell and Jesse Orosco in the outfield for the Mets - although not at the same time.

With two players - Knight and Kevin Mitchell - ejected for the Mets, and with Darryl Strawberry having been ejected earlier for arguing balls and strikes, manager Davey Johnson was out of position players other than backup catcher Ed Hearn.

Hearn entered the game and Gary Carter moved to third base, a position he hadn't played since 1975, but the Mets still needed a rightfielder. Other than McDowell, the only players left were starting pitchers Dwight Gooden, Sid Fernandez and Ron Darling.

Johnson moved Orosco, who had been pitching, to right.

McDowell came in from the bullpen, and as the game wore on, Johnson switched McDowell and Orosco from the mound to the outfield depending on the situation. McDowell also switched with Mookie Wilson between rightfield and leftfield, depending on whether a righthanded or lefthanded hitter was batting.

"It was exciting to play a position you've never played in your career," Orosco said last week in a telephone interview. "Roger felt the same way. We were giggling about it when it happened."

Only one ball was hit to a pitcher/outfielder, when Orosco caught a fly ball to right hit by Tony Perez in the 13th.

Asked what he was thinking at that moment, Orosco said: "Oh, my God. I felt kind of comfortable because I had been out there a couple of innings. I'm just glad I didn't have to run too far."

Johnson, reached last week at his Florida home, said: "Both of them were great athletes, could run balls down. It wasn't a choice that I was that worried about."

The Mets finally went ahead when Howard Johnson hit a three-run home run in the 14th inning. They won, 6-3, and McDowell was the winning pitcher.

At the time, Davey Johnson called it "the strangest game I've been involved in" - even stranger than the 19-inning Fourth of July game in Atlanta the year before, when a postgame fireworks show got under way at 3:55 a.m.

Of course, Johnson didn't know what was to come in the postseason.

As for the regular season, the memorable win gave the Mets a 13½-game lead in the National League East. By the end of August, the lead was up to 20. All that was left was to clinch the franchise's first division crown since 1973.

metsbats
02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Carl Pavano was spotted throwing a pitch in spring training this week for the Yankees.

lon lewis
02-16-2007, 10:43 PM
This game scored about a 10 on the wierd meter. Giants vs Dodgers 9/28/86 16 innings Giants win 6-5. The top of the 16th had a Giants defensive alignment of 3b Candy Maldonado, SS Joel Youngblood, 2B Harry Spilman, 1B Will Clark, LF Mike Aldrete, CF Chili Davis RF Randy Bockus. everyone except Clark and Davis were out of position as Maldonado was an outfielder (RF) Aldrete was a backup 1st baseman, Spilman was primarily a PH, Youngblood was P/H & backup 2B/3B, and Bockus was a relief pitcher on a Sept call-up. Bockus was 1 of 4 Giants pitchers used as either pinch hitters or position players. Youngblood and Spilman managed to turn a doubleplay in the 15th evoking laughter from the Dodgers,Giants and fans (because it was kind of ugly looking) Greg Minton pitched the final 5 innings and scored the winning run. Will Clark went 0-8 and Minton went 2-3 go figure.

stlbats
02-17-2007, 12:35 AM
In Mark Grace's last year with the D'Backs, Grace pitched one inning. It was funny to see him imitate teamate Mike Fetters with the snappy stare to the plate. If I recall he struck out one, retired one and then someone took him deep.

Doug Descenso played all nine positions at times with the Cubs in the early 90s I think it was.

Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

chakes89
02-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Dave Concepcion pitched in a game for the Reds

metsbats
02-17-2007, 07:34 AM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Nooch/2006/08/24/Out_of_Left_Fieldand_Now_Pitching

Interesting article on someone who played outfield and pitched at the MLB level for a real...

suave1477
02-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Metsbats I was crying with laughter when I saw the Pavano comment lmaooooooo:D

metsbats
02-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Metsbats I was crying with laughter when I saw the Pavano comment lmaooooooo:D

I still owe you photos of the Strawberry WS game bat.

I've been busy and didn't forget. Sorry for the delay Jason.

-David