PDA

View Full Version : Willie Mays Worn Undershirt on Goldin Auctions

Provencal
08-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Sorry for the novice question, but looking at this "Willie Mays Worn Undershirt Given to Batboy" on Goldin Auctions, how does one authenticate that it was worn by Mays? There is no tagging or other identifying information other than the hand scribbled "Mays" on the back. I looked at photos of other Giants players from the 1960's, and this 3 button off white undershirt with black sleeves is a style match with the undershirts worn by other Giants players of that era. It seems to be reasonable to think it is a genuine professional undershirt from that era, but couldn't any "bat boy" acquire this item from a random player and scribble the name of anyone they want on the back, since there is no other identifying information? This auction item has a letter of authenticity from Dave Mediema--if Dave reads this, can you educate me? Thanks!

Here is the item:

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=33523

sox83cubs84
08-05-2017, 07:48 PM
I was convinced based on the fading of both names written on the undershirt and the additional fading of the red lines crossing out Mays' name. Both of which were likely the result of repeated launderings. The fading would not be evident on a freshly written name. I hope this helps.

Dave Miedema

Provencal
08-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Thank you Dave, that is helpful!