PDA

View Full Version : Why do the Cubs tape EVERY cracked bat?

memorabiliaunlimited
08-07-2017, 08:19 AM
does anyone know why the cubs wrap athletic tape around every cracked bat they get, regardless of whether it is in 2 pieces or not? has anyone ever tried to tell them to stop doing this? it literally peels off the paint on certain bats when you try and take it off.. in my opinion, it adds absolutely nothing, does not protect anything, and only hurts the value. thoughts?

twarman17
08-07-2017, 11:57 AM
does anyone know why the cubs wrap athletic tape around every cracked bat they get, regardless of whether it is in 2 pieces or not? has anyone ever tried to tell them to stop doing this? it literally peels off the paint on certain bats when you try and take it off.. in my opinion, it adds absolutely nothing, does not protect anything, and only hurts the value. thoughts?

Agree with this post, the tape is out of control. They have started writing in blue sharpie on the repair tape when the was used but still hologrammimg as issued. Unreal.

TBM
08-07-2017, 12:32 PM
I've never asked but have assumed its for safety reasons. Saves someone from getting a large jagged stake in their hand when carrying it.

Your the person tasked with carrying the bats from the clubhouse to the GU store. Just think about carrying a bat or a handful of bats. You loose grip it slips down and impales your hand. Now your bleeding all over the bat. Do you really want a bat with unauthenticated blood on it?

OR

Your carrying a bat or a hand full of bats. Your not holding it right and the crack gets tension on it. Then snap, it completely breaks in two. The barrel end is authenticated but the now broken handle is not. Poor guy probably gets fired.

OR

Your carrying a bat or a handful of bats and you trip. As you trip you let go of the bats to try to brace your fall. The bat lands and brakes from the impact and bounces back up only to spear you through the chest as you pin it against the ground. Now your laying there with a bat stake through the heart like a vampire that Van Helsing hunted down. Who's going to want that bat??

OR

Your ace pitcher picks up a broken bat that's laying around. He gets a sliver in his pitching hand cause he was not paying attention. It gets infected and he has to be put on the DL for 10 days. He misses two starts. The team ends up missing the post season by two games!!

All of this just because no tape was there to keep you safe!!:eek:

Yea, I know, But really I do think its because of safety reasons. After all, who wants a sliver of any kind in their hand.

Vintagedeputy
08-07-2017, 01:07 PM
If they switched to blue painters tape, it may be better.

sox83cubs84
08-07-2017, 02:31 PM
I'm sure it's for safety reasons, but for potential gift shop customers as much as for on-field personnel. For several years Cubs players have been ordered by management to turn in all broken bats rather than give them to fans. That's been mentioned by several Cubs players over time...the team wants to sell them in the gift shop, not see some fan have his day made with a player gift when they don't get anything out of it. When it comes to game used, the Cubs have become one of the greediest teams in pro sports...part of the reason I've gone to only 6 games there since and including 2014.

Dave Miedema

memorabiliaunlimited
08-07-2017, 06:43 PM
put it in a box/tube before its moved. safety concern eliminated.

i just think that teams shouldnt be doing anything to these items once they are removed from play, especially applying an adhesive to them. putting athletic tape around a mota or pine tar covered bat handle has to be near the top of the list of things not to do to a game used bat.

TigersCubs84
08-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Send a tweet to their game used shop. I tweet em all the time so they don't like me..I tell it like it is.

Swoboda4
08-11-2017, 06:19 PM
The Mummy Returns. Found this Cliff Floyd Cubs bat in my collection and thought of this thread.

64SHEA
08-12-2017, 01:07 AM
At that point its more tape then bat.
I haven't bought a bat from the Mets in awhile but I believe one I bought came with some painters tape on it to hold a piece that broke off. Didn't seem to leave any residue on the bat. Why not go with that if you want to secure it in some way?

grandeleague
08-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know oft hand what the cubs sell kris bryant game used bats for typically?

twarman17
08-17-2017, 12:04 AM
Does anyone know oft hand what the cubs sell kris bryant game used bats for typically?

$3,000 at the park. But, typically the good bats will be picked up immediately at $3,000 so the one you can get at the park will have crack/tape issues and not be a home run bat.

memorabiliaunlimited
08-28-2017, 02:19 PM
i contacted the cubs authentication department about taping the bats, and explained how it leaves a residue, can chip the paint off, and hurts the value. he (pat) said that the clubhouse does it, and he told me that he would make the request over to them to stop taping them. hopefully, they stop! maybe if more people complain they will see that i am not the only one who has an issue with the practice. i dont live in chicago or buy a ton of cubs gear, so if anyone sees that they stopped doing it, please share. thanks!

nevrdiez34
10-01-2017, 06:55 PM
All the input to Cubs Authentics must have been taken to heart. The majority of the Cubs bats in their upcoming MLB Auction do not have any tape. And the couple that do have way less tape than usual.

Wrigley2010
10-02-2017, 03:29 AM
All the input to Cubs Authentics must have been taken to heart. The majority of the Cubs bats in their upcoming MLB Auction do not have any tape. And the couple that do have way less tape than usual.

That's great to hear!

memorabiliaunlimited
10-02-2017, 08:32 AM

i noticed this as well with the last auction, looks like again with the current one. i am glad they took my (and anyone else who reached out to them) advice to stop taping the cracks!