PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Judge GU Ball Question

zooat2
08-07-2017, 10:11 AM
- I've seen a few of his GU baseballs out there and 2 particular ones caught my attention, on which would be the better value:

1) was a GU ball in which he was caught stealing
2) was a GU ball in which he caught a flyball for an out

- So my question is, if you had to choose, which would you rather have?

memorabiliaunlimited
08-07-2017, 11:07 AM
i would prefer the one that he caught for an out. that means he actually touched the ball and a positive thing happened as a result, as opposed to a caught stealing where he never touched the ball and something negative happened to him.

Vintagedeputy
08-07-2017, 11:14 AM
I'd say neither has better value than the other, and I'm not sure why any of that stuff is even offered for sale (except to make money). Its really kind of sad that people are paying hundreds of dollars for a ball that player X fouled off in his second AB during an insignificant game.

HR baseballs, significant hit baseballs, record strike out baseballs, all fine.

No name player gets career hit #18, a single and he retires in 5 years with 542 hits? That's maybe a $15 baseball to a fan of his, IMHO.

Baseballs fouled off by so and so, baseballs they caught, baseballs they passed wind near? I'd let the dog play with that one.

Just my opinion.....

zooat2
08-07-2017, 11:24 AM
I'd say neither has better value than the other, and I'm not sure why any of that stuff is even offered for sale (except to make money). Its really kind of sad that people are paying hundreds of dollars for a ball that player X fouled off in his second AB during an insignificant game.

No name player gets career hit #18, a single and he retires in 5 years with 542 hits? That's maybe a $15 baseball to a fan of his, IMHO.

Baseballs fouled off by so and so, baseballs they caught, baseballs they passed wind near? I'd let the dog play with that one.

Just my opinion.....

- Totally agree for the most part, the AB foul balls I can see both sides of the argument though....I thought these two instances w. Judge were a total way to make $ off a guy who is having a great season...the caught ball is on Ebay for $600, which is absurd.

tweeter167
08-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Just my opinion.....

I agree both balls should be valued the same, and shouldn't have any more value then a foul ball or PID. I started collecting game used balls about a year ago and have to say it sreally starting to get out of hand in my opinion. How MLB teams attach the hitter to a PID and charge more because lets say Mike Tout was standing in the batters box over Cameron Mabin is insane to me. I don't feel a PID has anything to do with the batter.

TBM
08-07-2017, 12:04 PM

Just my opinion.....

For the most part I would agree with this. However, I get a ball every game I go to and sometimes end up with a foul ball because its a low hit game and nothing else is available or they pull the good stuff for auction:mad: or overprice it.

Don't spend $$$$ on hype, I would not think about spending $50 on either one yet alone $600 but if you just gotta have one, I would go with the one he caught for an out. At least he handled that one. Who knows what will happen to Judge. Next year he could go through a sophomore slump and spend half the season in the minors, Then that same ball could be had for $50. 100's of players have had a single fantastic year and then are barley heard from again. You can pick up a Miguel Cabrera hit ball for a couple hundred and he will be a Hall of Famer.

If you want to save some money and still get one of those types of balls then call the Authentic's or Game Used store at the ball park they visit. Most of the time the visiting teams balls are way lower in price as are home team fly outs. Make notes of what play's he is involved with (Inning, batter, pitcher, hit, fly out, etc..) then ask for the ball that Joe Blow Schmuckatelly hit for a fly ball out to RF in the bottom of the 4th inning. Email ASAP. That is how you get the same ball for $35. Lots of persistence will eventually pay off. I've done this for a couple players. A hit baseball on the road is $50 shipped compared to $125 at home. Most times it's 1 success out of 15 attempts or so for the particular ball I am after.

memorabiliaunlimited
08-07-2017, 02:08 PM
i would prefer the one that he caught for an out. that means he actually touched the ball and a positive thing happened as a result, as opposed to a caught stealing where he never touched the ball and something negative happened to him.

let me clarify. i dont think either would be really worth much or that one has more value than the other, but if i had to pick between them both, i would prefer the one he actually touched. $600 for just a simple putout is way, way too much. to me, if a ball wasnt used for an actual hit, or an actual strikeout, it is just a generic ball. the fact that some big names may be involved is of no moment to me. like tweeter167 said: a pitch in the dirt is a pitch in the dirt - it doesnt matter who was standing in the batters box.

sox83cubs84
08-07-2017, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't touch either one...if Judge turns out to be the next Joe Charboneau, there are gonna be a LOT of fans and collectors pulling their hair out. If he didn't play for the Yankees, these items would be going for half or less than they are now. Just because ESPN thinks he's the next Babe Ruth doesn't mean I do.

Dave Miedema

marino13
08-09-2017, 07:01 PM
I would rather have a generic game used baseball (nothing specific) from a milestone game (which will have MLB hologram and/or Steinersport COA) -

1st game,

1st hit,

1st HR (my first choice),

1st Grand Slam,

tying Joe DiMaggio's HR record (2nd choice),

breaking Joe D. HR record (3rd choice)

tying McGwire's HR record (4th)

breaking McGwire's record (5th)

and last HR for the season (tied with 2nd choice) -- since it is going to be Yankees record no matter what.

Then, I will wait for an opportunity to get it signed (hopefully, it can be authenticated)

LarryWalkerFan
08-09-2017, 09:18 PM
breaking McGwire's record (5th)

I'm not sure he will do that. Yes, he's sort of on pace for 52 HR for the season, but his second half pace leaves him at 48 HR... one shy of McGwire's record.

Mac670
08-10-2017, 03:10 PM
I Just Purchased A Cory Seager Game-used Single Baseball For $100, Jb706413. I Think I Got A Pretty Good Deal, I Believe It Is His 246th Career Hit.