PDA

View Full Version : Wee Willie Keller bat

brianborsch
02-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Hello all,

I just bought a Wee Willie Keller replica bat. My question is, how authentic or exact is it to one of his originals? The length is right at 30 inches or so, and it has a thick handle and small knob like the older bats, but my question is in how his name is on the bat. It looks a little modern. The stamping label reads JF Hillerich and Son, but just his name looks out of place. Any info would be helpful. See the bat below.

Either way it is really cool bat.

Let me know.

Brian B

brianborsch
02-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Sorry, it is a Wee Willie Keller bat. Typing faster than my brain can work...

brianborsch
02-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Darned it! I did it again in the body of the last post. Its Wee Willie Keeler! Wee Willie Keeler! Whew!

MSpecht
02-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Brian--- Here is some info on your Wee Willie Keeler replica bat (which, unfortunately, is not as rare as a Wee Willie Keller bat) --

The center branding appears relatively recent, likely post-1980 based on the fonts within the brand. It is a representation of a center label brand that apperars from the late 1890's to approximately 1905, although the font that was used on the replica is not found on the branding of the era. On the barrel label, the word "GENUINE" did not appear until the late 1930's, and the combination of "GENUINE" above the player's name and "LOUISVILLE SLUGGER" below the player's name began in 1946.

Keeler's career spanned from 1892 to 1910. The first block letter player bats appeared in a small, plain style in approximately 1905, and continued through approximately 1921. Below is an example of a Keeler bat with this style of block lettering , although it is rare to find on pre-1910 bats. Rarer still would be to find anything more than just the player's last name on a professional model bat of the era.

The Wee Willie Keeler bat on display at H & B has a length of 30.5 inches. This is consistent with Keeler's index bat diagram, which fixes the indexed length of Keeler's bat at 30.5 inches, with a knob diameter of 2 1/32 inches and a barrel diameter of 2 15/32 inches at the widest point (approximately 1 inch from the end,) and additionally describes "a squared, slightly rounded end." The bat was identified during Keeler's career as "His Old Willie Keeler," and was later designated as Model K35.

Hope this helps in matching up the accuracy of your very nice looking replica Keeler bat.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

brianborsch
02-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the info Mike! Yeah, I figured the font is way off. Why doesn't LVS make replicas as close to the real thing as possible with only a few specific identifiers, like the underlined 125 or the underlined Made By?

Also, how did you get a picture of an actual Keeler bat? Do you own one? If so, would you sell??? ;)

Brian B

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
02-17-2007, 03:32 PM
E-mail me if you would like. I have a Keeler professional model bat but it is a Spalding Gold Medal. Thanks for your interest.

MSpecht
02-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi Brian--

The pic is of a Keeler bat used as one of the illustrations in Vince Malta's new book.... I will be offering a "first-look" perspective of the book this weekend on GUU, most likely in the Game Used Discussion Forum. Look for it.

In regards to H & B replica bats, I am speculating here, but in their production of a replica historical bat the company is likely more concerned with the dimensiions, model, etc than with the accuracy of center or barrel branding. This holds true even in their own displays within corporate offices, "touring displays" for promotional or marketing purposes, and retail reproductions of "Famous Hitters'" bats. They have, however, also produced replica bats without the "S" souvenir stamping, and without an underlined "125" brand, with model numbers stamped into the knob. The bats are obviously new (and made of non-vintage wood,) but over the years some have surfaced within the hobby as game used.

Re your Keeler bat, it was made to replicate the style or model Keeler used, and the center branding was a secondary concern . The barrel branding was likely modified to more quickly identify the player, and for the marketing/promotional value of having "GENUINE LOUISVILLE SLUGGER" present on the bat.

Remember that the primary product of the company is the manufacture and sale of baseball bats (and other sporting goods) to be used at all levels, recreational through professional. That being said, the production of 100 % historically-accurate-in-all-respects replica bats with a limited market base is likely not very high on their list of priorities (although it has worked fairly well for Mitchell & Ness and Rhino Records.)

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

sylbry
02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I just saw a Wee Willie Keeler bat today at the Baseball as America exhibit. I couldn't believe how small of a bat he used.

brianborsch
02-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Where is that exhibit?

sylbry
02-17-2007, 10:25 PM
St Paul, MN