Rarest...most photomatched Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie bat!?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DTM5
    • Sep 2014

Rarest...most photomatched Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie bat!?!

I recently acquired what I believe to be the rarest, most photomatched Ken Griffey Jr. rookie bat in exsistance? As far as I know, this is new to the hobby as well.

The bat has been certified by PSA/DNA GU9. I have photomatched the bat to two rookie cards (mother's cookies) along with several postcards all taken by famous sports photographer Barry Colla.
    Attached Files
  • GoCrazyFolks76
    • Mar 2015

Re: Rarest...most photomatched Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie bat!?!

Those grain patterns look like a match.

Have you tried to match up the tape pattern?

Comment

• joecoco
      • Dec 2005

Awesome bat! I remember having those cards as a kid. It is wonderful to see the actual bat. Got to love photomatching!

Comment

• JDF5244
        • May 2014

That's a beautiful bat....and, I remember the cards! Seeing that card brings back memories of me throwing bag upon bag of Mother's Cookies into my mom's grocery cart, mainly because I wanted the cards (and the cookies weren't bad either)! Those were the days......

Comment

• hurricaneditka66
          • Dec 2015

Great bat!

I am curious, did Griffey ever use a Cooper bat in his MLB career? I know his first homerun was with his classic black LS bat.

He used light colored bats (Cooper?) in the minors and in batting practice during his rookie season, but I've never seen actual game use of the lighter bats. I could EASILY be wrong, just an observation.

Also, would be cool if this was the bat he used during photo shoot for his 1989 Upper Deck RC card.... hard to tell from pics, though.

Comment

• BoneRubbedBat
            • Jul 2005

All of the Ken Griffey Jr. bats that I have seen from that era have the "Jr" after his name. Ken Griffey Sr. Cooper bats just have "Ken Griffey." He probably took some of his dad's bats for the photo ops.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Comment

• DTM5
              • Sep 2014

Ken Griffey Jr.'s earliest bats did not have "Jr" on them as the COA below explains, and yes he used this style and brand during his rookie year along with black LS and Rawlings's bats. Check out Griffey Jr. 1989 donruss baseballs best #192 rookie card. I have seen quite a few black LS and Rawlings's rookie bats at auction but never a taped cooper with no "Jr." which makes this bat even more rare in my opinion. Junior has a distinct tape application that is different than what Sr. used. which can easily be seen in photos as well. Sr. used a single spiral tape application.

Comment

• DTM5
                • Sep 2014

For some reason I am unable to download a picture of the COA it is saying too large of file?? Also, Jr.'s cooper bats were a C271 model Sr.'s were not this model number.

Comment

• KGoldin
                  • Sep 2012

In august 1989 his name had JR on the bats..the coopers

So this must be early part of the year. Is there much use? Can you see any ball marks?

Comment

• seanbaseball
                    • Aug 2014

heres griffey using a cooper bat but it does appear to have Jr
                    Attached Files

Comment

• DTM5
                      • Sep 2014

This would be a great time for John Taube's input since the COA is from PSA/DNA and has his signature on it. Ugh, wish the photo of COA would load I had no problem with other pics?

Comment

• ctguy212003
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DTM5
                        I recently acquired what I believe to be the rarest, most photomatched Ken Griffey Jr. rookie bat in exsistance? As far as I know, this is new to the hobby as well.

The bat has been certified by PSA/DNA GU9. I have photomatched the bat to two rookie cards (mother's cookies) along with several postcards all taken by famous sports photographer Barry Colla.
                        Is it for sale?

Comment

• GoCrazyFolks76
                          • Mar 2015

Does anybody know if senior used that same tape pattern?

Comment

• DTM5
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by KGoldin
                            In august 1989 his name had JR on the bats..the coopers

So this must be early part of the year. Is there much use? Can you see any ball marks?

Ken,

To answer your question the PSA/DNA COA (GU9) states "Cooper model C271 Ken Griffey Jr. professional model bat shows evidence of excellent use with handle crack. Several ball marks and ball stitch impressions are visible on the right barrel. Ball marks include blue ink transfers. Cleat marks are visible on right and left barrel......"

I also failed to mention that there is a "24" written on the top barrel in fading marker that is documented in the COA as well, that would also point in the direction of Jr. using the bat.

Comment

• staindsox
                              • Jun 2006

This has been an issue for authentication in the past. Taube authenticated this as being used by Junior when it was used by Senior. The #22 was the tip off. Paragon changed it because I asked about it...

US President Joe Biden says his administration will continue pushing for a ceasefire between Israel
                              Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

Working...