PDA

View Full Version : Mattingly Bat Help Needed

hirammn
02-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I've had this Don Mattingly bat since about 1985. Need some expert advice on dating it. I'm debating on selling it and wanted to get my description info right. It seems to have pretty good game-use and has been cracked up in the handle in the pine tar area. The crack was repaired with glue so that it could be picked up and handled without further cracking. You can still see the crack, but it is sturdy. It is 34" and weighs 30.6 ounces at least according to my cheap little mail scale. Any one have any ideas on value or if it looks good? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MSpecht
02-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Here is some info to help you with this bat. The bat is from the 1983-1985 H & B labeling period. That period marked Mattingly's first use of Model T141 bats. That information can more specifically date a Mattingly game used T141 bat with 83-85 labeling to 4 orders between September 20 and september 26, 1985. Those orders of T141 bats were all 34 inches in length with weights of 31 or 32 ounces. There were 42 total bats in the 4 orders, and all were unfinished.

For additional information, see Jim Caravello's outstanding blog on Mattingly game-used bats in the Experts Corner of GUU --- here's the limk:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=185

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

GameUsedBats
02-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Nice Bat. If you're interested in selling please email me. I've been searching for a nice Mattingly bat. jgruj@aol.com

Thanks,
John

JimCaravello
02-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Hirammn - very nice bat. Mike's earlier post is accurate relative to Mattingly bats and Mattingly started tinkering with T141 bats during this period. He was primarily using M110 models during the 83-85 period. Post 1985, T141 became his model of choice until he retired. He also used other models which are detailed in my blog.

The barrel use and tar markings look very good for Mattingly. The #23 on the knob is very consistent for the period. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. I too would be interested in the bat if you were going to sell it. You can e-mail me at jcaravello@nc.rr.com

Thanks, Jim

DonFan23
02-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Hirammn,

I echo Jim's sentiments on your bat, and would also be inteested if you put it up for sale or bid.

Thanks,

R.J.

Yankwood
02-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Looks like we're gearing up for a good old fashioned auction..........