PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Jackson 1982 game used jersey

gr8soxfan
02-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I would like to know your opinion on this jersey that was for sale on ebay. Im new to collecting and would like your help Thank You. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130079950140&rd=1&rd=1

www.jerseydave.com
02-18-2007, 11:06 PM
All the Jackson Angels jerseys I have seen have been a size 48? I have never seen a size 44 one.

gr8soxfan
02-18-2007, 11:14 PM
All the Jackson Angels jerseys I have seen have been a size 48? I have never seen a size 44 one. The only thing I know is that Reggie wore 44 with NY and Ive seen a 1986 size 46

Eric
02-18-2007, 11:14 PM
The 1985 road jersey in my collection is a size 48.

gr8soxfan
02-18-2007, 11:24 PM
This Orioles jersey shows that he did wear a size 44 http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/showdetail.cfm?Lot=495&Premier=Y

www.jerseydave.com
02-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Your right, and he wore a size 42 with the A's. The Orioles is a 1976 and the Angels is a 1982.. a lot of time for growth there. I have seen at least 9 Angels jerseys..all size 48.

Can we say Jackson wore a size 44.. absolutely.. has anyone seen a size 44 Angels? I have not.. I just went through a bunch of auction catalogs with Jackson jerseys in it.. all were size 48.

Between this and the fact that the seller of that jersey would not even say it is game used but just "hinted" at the possibility alone would be a indicator to me that the jersey is not a game worn.

Did you buy it?

Going for a diamond in the ruff?

I can only state what I have seen and Eric has one (size 48) as well. I'm sorry I have never seen a Angels jersey that small for Jackson... Just stating to what I have seen in this hobby in 10 + years...

David.

gr8soxfan
02-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Thank You very much David. Yes I did buy the jersey and I Thank You for your help

hblakewolf
02-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Forget about the small size 44 and focus on the NOB.

The J and N are completely wrong. They are oversized compared to the other letters on the back and also wrong for a Wilson home jersey. All the letters should be the same cut/size/style.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

GameUsedBats
02-19-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure when the practice began, but I own a 1988 Road Finley and it's stamped "Purchased from the California Angels" inside the jersey.

hblakewolf
02-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Dick Dobbins sold a huge quantity of Angels jerseys and stamped them as such. The majority were Rawlings, and he had to have the NOB restored. I have the Von Hayes and Rick Schu, and the restoration of the NOB is PERFECT! I believe fellow Forum reader Lon Lewis did the restoration work.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

GameUsedBats
02-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info Howard! I purchased the Finley jersey directly from Dick & the NOB has been restored. I wasn't aware he stamped the jersey.

kingjammy24
02-19-2007, 05:17 PM
as howard, mentioned the nob has issues. it's a vertical arch but not a correct version. for me, the biggest red flag is the "a". it should be a "blunt top", rather than a sharp top. here's how it ought to look compared to how it does look:

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/977/reggieia3.jpg

this seller is also offering a 1988 bo jackson (discussed in a previous thread) that suffers from the exact same incorrect vertical arch. the "a" on the bo jackson is also incorrect.
i have no idea whether these jerseys were issued or worn. the nobs however seem to have been restored incorrectly.

rudy.

lon lewis
02-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Since this jersey has already sold,there's not much to say except that those of you who have already posted regarding the NOB lettering are correct. The style used is not consistent with a "Wilson" vertical arc. In fact, it's not consistent with any of the Angels jerseys with a vertically arced NOB from any mfr. It should also be noted that the placement of the back #'s and NOB are way too low (they appear to be 10+ inches instead of the normal 8 1/2 + or - and the front 4's appear to be out of the norm as far as placement and type. I'll add that I've only seen Jackson jerseys in a size 48 for both Wilson and Goodman mfrs. Finally, Howard you are correct in that I did restore the Angels jerseys for Dick Dobbins in 1993-94 the majority of which were Rawlings but there was a small quantity of both Wilson and Goodman. I know there was a total of about 1100 jerseys and about 800 had some form of restoration. (NOB, # chg, ect.)

02-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Interesting discussion here on the Reggie Jackson Angels jersey. A few notes:

a. At the time indicated, 1993, Dick Dobbins told me that only a small percentage of the jerseys had original names on the back. I had him send me a list where he put a star next to the ones with the original names on back. I helped Dick identify a lot of the jerseys by providing weekly rosters so he could get the names restored on the backs. I also purchased a quantity of the jerseys from Dick, both with the original name panel and with restoration.
b. I have seen many of the Angels jerseys with restored names on back that came from Dick. The restoration work is very well done, about as good as it gets in my opinion. However, I would not use the term "perfect" to describe them. If they are held up to the light, there is always some place where the old stitching pattern can be seen from where the original name panels were removed from the backs. Over the years, I have asked approximately 10 people who have sold these restored jerseys at auction if they are restored. Not one has correctly told me that the jerseys were restored, even after I asked them to hold it up to the light and to check. All had restoration when I received them.
c. I put about six Wilson home Reggie Jackson jerseys on to the market back in the early to mid 1980's. Most were size 48, but I clearly recall size 46 also on a couple. The one I kept for myself was a size 47. The "47" is embroidered over a Wilson tag with a blank space for the size. I also had one Goodman & Sons road jersey, and it was size 48. I don't ever recall seeing an Angels size 44 for Reggie.
d. General word of caution I do not recall ever seeing discussed on this forum. Back in the mid 1980's, with 1985 and 1986 being the primary time I remember, there was a dealer out here in California that obviously had some kind of connection with Goodman & Sons. At the conventions or baseball card shows, they would set up large selections of Goodman & Sons jerseys from at least the Angels and Astros, although I recall there were other teams (perhaps Mets) where I had no interest. Of course, it was always the star jerseys over and over again. I cannot tell you how many road Goodman & Sons Angels of Jackson, Carew, Lynn, John, Sutton, DeCinces, Grich, Downing and the like that I saw at those shows. Unfortunately, there were also a lot of Nolan Ryan Astros. Goodman & Sons shirts had no special tagging, so there was no way to tell these shirts apart from what was actually used. To this day, there is no way to tell them apart. Many of you have probably noted a large number of road Angels of the stars over the years in the market in comparison to the home Angels. Also, a lot of Nolan Ryan Goodman & Sons jerseys from the Astros. I watched at these shows when one shirt was sold, and within minutes an identical one would be back out on sale. These included jerseys with the special patches like 1985 Angels and I believe 1986 Astros. One time I was even standing around looking at some of the jerseys at a show, and two of the Angels Stadium clubhouse employees walked up behind me. I knew who they were, but they did not know me. One said to the other that there was no way the Angels jerseys could be real. The other replied that if they were real, that neither of them would have jobs there any longer! I thought that was pretty funny. Bottom line, to this day, I will not touch any of the road Goodman & Sons Angels star jerseys from 1982-1986, and certainly not any of the Ryan Astros shirts from this general time period.

Tom Duino

02-23-2007, 04:53 AM
From my previous post, I should have mentioned that of course most if not all of the Goodman & Sons jerseys that I discussed that come around again through auctions or other routes the past several years have glowing certificates of authenticity from highly respected organizations in the hobby, and some without such good reputations. I always tell myself "no way" when I see these certificates. How could they know these shirts were "real" or not? I wish whoever writes these certificates had been standing there at those shows and seen what went on with the Goodman & Sons shirts.

Obviously this is a case of buyer beware to those who chose to read this message that is based on my long time experiences (I started collecting game used in 1975 at the age of 13).

Tom Duino

gr8soxfan
02-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys for your help. When I recieve the jersey I will try to post more information on it. Is there anything I should be looking for when I recieve the jersey.

CollectGU
02-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I think the consensus here from what I'm reading is that this shirt is suspect with many inconsistencies including font size, font style, lettering placement, and size..Do you plan on keeping it or trying to return it for a refund?

Dave

soxbats
02-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Tom, send me an email when you get the chance, I would like to chat about some bats. I am still regretting passing on that Lee Thomas years ago, cost me much more when I finally tracked it down.

Jeff

soxbats@aol.com

gr8soxfan
02-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I think the consensus here from what I'm reading is that this shirt is suspect with many inconsistencies including font size, font style, lettering placement, and size..Do you plan on keeping it or trying to return it for a refund?

Dave
Im not sure yet. I have heard alot of good arguments made. When I recieve the jersey Ill try to post additional pictures of the jersey so you guys can have some more info about it also.

gr8soxfan
02-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Im looking for help. I was wondering if anyone out there has or knows where I can obtain Reggie Jackson's press conference when he signed with the Angels. All I can find is pictures. 1 picture has a perfect shot of the Jersey but a chair is blocking the tags. I would appreciated if anyone can help. Thanks

Marichal27
02-23-2007, 09:28 PM
I knew Dick Dobbins fairly well. He always told me not to buy "star" jerseys, more or less. Obviously there is too much greed to fake a jersey into a "star" jersey. I remember a former jersey seller, that supposedly faked Dale Muphy jers. Made up from "common" players. I try to stick with styles, 99% SF Giants and not worry much who wore the jersey.

kingjammy24
03-02-2007, 08:01 PM
while on the topic of jackson angels jerseys, here's an interesting one:

http://www.greyflannel.com/sales_main_Detail.php?updateID=2284

the "jack" portion of the nob is noticeably larger than the "son" portion.

rudy.

Eric
03-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Is this the same size 44 Reggie Jackson jersey with the large J and N in the new AMI auction authenticated by Lou Lampson?

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=35828

sylbry
03-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Certainly looks like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130079950140&rd=1&rd=1

The purchaser now consignor is the forum member who decided to use "gameuseduniverse" as his ebay login name.

CollectGU
03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
I spoke with AMI. That jersey has been pulled and was not supposed to be in the auction. It is not listed in the print catalogue. A 1987 Jackson A's jersey should have been there, not this jersey....

Regards,
Dave

Eric
03-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Dave

Thanks for the info. The description sounds like Lampson speak. Did it get a Lampson letter but it's not in the auction?

CollectGU
03-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Not sure, but I'll check into it for you..

josh@hugginsandscott.com
04-04-2007, 01:30 PM
We had an early 1980s Reggie Jackson Angels jersey in our October 2006 auction that was graded A-10 by MEARS. It was a size 48. Here is the link to that auction. I hope this helps.

http://september06.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=3164&catid=

thanks,
Josh Wulkan
VP Huggins and Scott Auctions
josh@hugginsandscott.com
www.hugginsandscott.com (http://www.hugginsandscott.com)

CollectGU
04-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Josh,

Thanks for the additional info. During your last auction, a forum member had questions regarding the Leiter game worn jersey you had. Here is the problems he noted. Was this ever brought to your attention and addressed?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

"This jersey is missing the 40th Anniversary patch and 9-11-01 embroidery which were worn on all 2002 Met jerseys. The simple rawlings 50 tag does not sound correct as flag tags with year and set were used in 2002 attached under the RAWLINGS tag. Unfortunately the auction does not show a photo of the tagging on this jersey."

josh@hugginsandscott.com
04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Dave,

this was never brought to my attention and I new nothing of it. I wish I had known, so I could have done a little research on the piece.

The item originally passed during the auction, but I was contacted by someone after the auction ended to see if they could purchase the jersey for the opening bid, plus the buyers' premium. I checked with the consignor and he was ok to sell it, so we did.
Because the item was not of high-value and the authentication would have cost the same as the sale price, the consignor opted not to have it authenticated by MEARS. We sold the jersey without the authentication. In looking back, I'm not sure how our writer narrowed it to the 2002 season, since there was no year tag.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention - I may use this forum for future authentication of our jersey's.
thanks,
Josh Wulkan
VP Huggins and Scott Auctions
josh@hugginsandscott.com
www.hugginsandscott.com