PDA

View Full Version : Beltre Bats from Celebz

Wrigley2010
10-02-2017, 03:44 AM
I'm looking to add a 2017 Beltre game used bat to my collection. Since Beltre has surpassed the 3000 hit mark his prices have sky rocketed and his 2017 bats are becoming tough to find. Celebz has some of his 2017 gamers available and I was wondering if anyone has bought any Beltre items from them and if so what are your thoughts? I know several of his 2017 bats were pulled from the recent Goldin Auction which I believe originated from Celebz. Seeing as how these bats are from his 3000th hit season I think the asking price of $800 is fair. On top of that, photo matching wont be an issue seeing as how I can comb through all the mlb.tv video from this season. Just looking for any opinions from the community before I commit to buying one of these bats.

earlywynnfan
10-02-2017, 03:01 PM
I'm looking to add a 2017 Beltre game used bat to my collection. Since Beltre has surpassed the 3000 hit mark his prices have sky rocketed and his 2017 bats are becoming tough to find. Celebz has some of his 2017 gamers available and I was wondering if anyone has bought any Beltre items from them and if so what are your thoughts? I know several of his 2017 bats were pulled from the recent Goldin Auction which I believe originated from Celebz. Seeing as how these bats are from his 3000th hit season I think the asking price of $800 is fair. On top of that, photo matching wont be an issue seeing as how I can comb through all the mlb.tv video from this season. Just looking for any opinions from the community before I commit to buying one of these bats.

(I'm sure you did a forum search about Celebz before you posted this?) I know Phil and I feel that Celebz has proven to be shady and SOB's when discussed before. Therefore, we can't fathom why anyone would want to do business with them. But we appear to be in the minority. Can't speak for their Beltre bats, because I would never look at their stuff.

Wrigley2010
10-02-2017, 09:47 PM
(I'm sure you did a forum search about Celebz before you posted this?) I know Phil and I feel that Celebz has proven to be shady and SOB's when discussed before. Therefore, we can't fathom why anyone would want to do business with them. But we appear to be in the minority. Can't speak for their Beltre bats, because I would never look at their stuff.

Thank you for your reply early. I am well aware of their reputation and yet I still let my desire to get my hands on a 2017 Beltre bat over shadow that. Your reply reminded of why I started this thread in the first place and that was my skepticism of Celebz. I decided to pass on the bag. So I'm still in the hunt along with nearly every other collector for a 2017 Beltre gamer for under 1K :)

Phil316
10-02-2017, 11:11 PM

Agree 100%

sorklora
10-16-2017, 04:40 PM
I am not a fan of theirs and stay away, as well. I did e-mail them about the bats and said if they could provide photomatches of a specific bat being used in an actual season game, I'd be interested. I have yet to hear back after they said they'd be in touch...

Juicyfruit66
10-16-2017, 07:55 PM
They are doing Avisail garcia and it made me wonder how garcia has multiple game used items to sell through celebz. They have ads stating batting gloves, jerseys, helmets, etc. To me, i bet tons of those will not be actual gamers. Just a hunch, no facts behind it

sherbal15
10-16-2017, 09:57 PM
They are not going to photomatch your stuff for you.....gotta do that on your own. They have come up with some serious gems in the past. On that same note some stuff is a complete dud. They do no homework on anything but truly do get stuff from the actual athlete. As with anything just do your homework. I am in no way saying celebz direct is a top notch company (and Scot monet is probably the biggest asshole I have ever dealt with) but they have truly produced photomatched (after a purchase) gems.

Phil316
10-17-2017, 02:17 AM
(and Scot monet is probably the biggest asshole I have ever dealt with).

Is it Scot Monet or Scot Monette?

You see they are the same person.

Scot Monette changed his name to Scot Monet when the whole ordeal hit the fan and he basically admitted to doctoring items http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/iteam/sports-memorabilia-dealer-scot-monette-blast-blog-entry-1.1632318

OR how about when Scot ripped off Dwayne Schintzius a former university of Florida basketball star. http://www.tampabay.com/news/briefs/38-year-old-man-shot-and-killed-in-pinellas-county/1223932

"Former Brandon High School and University of Florida star Dwayne Schintzius has sued an Oldsmar man, saying he was defrauded out of $100,000. The lawsuit says Schintzius, who played for nine years in the NBA, invested the money with Scot Monette for two sports memorabilia businesses, which were going to buy and sell items from retired NBA players, as well as from the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays and Philadelphia Phillies. The lawsuit says the businesses were Elite Sports Marketing and What About Sports. The lawsuit says Monette used the money to pay off other debts. Monette could not be reached for comment."

I can go on and on.

He just changes his name to throw people off his trail.

This guy has legitimately ripped off so many people.

I just don't get it. Ya'll are supporting this kind of behavior if you are buying from Celebz.

earlywynnfan
10-17-2017, 02:56 PM
They are not going to photomatch your stuff for you.....gotta do that on your own. They have come up with some serious gems in the past. On that same note some stuff is a complete dud. They do no homework on anything but truly do get stuff from the actual athlete. As with anything just do your homework. I am in no way saying celebz direct is a top notch company (and Scot monet is probably the biggest asshole I have ever dealt with) but they have truly produced photomatched (after a purchase) gems.

Coach's Corner has a few legit items each month, too. It's just that some of us feel that if you have to dig through that much sh*t to get a good piece, a lot of it sticks to you.

Phil316
10-18-2017, 12:49 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/beatles-authenticator-heart-memorabilia-suit-article-1.279528

Here's Leland's and Robert Edwards Auctions both basically laughing at Chris Morales from Coaches Corner. Chris tries to defend himself when asked why pieces he authenticates go for much less. Chris blames it on the auction houses ahahahaha. You cannot and I mean cannot make this stuff up......

Phil316
10-18-2017, 12:54 AM
This answer by the FBI about a crack down

But FBI agent Tim Fitzsimmons, who led Operation Bullpen, the bureau's investigation of sports forgery rings, says it's more complicated than that. Forensic examiners told FBI investigators that because handwriting can change dramatically due to factors such as age, alcohol consumption and stress, authenticators need scores of examples in order to make an accurate determination.

"You would want 100 examples of 'knowns,' signatures that you know are good," Fitzsimmons says.

sox83cubs84
10-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Phil, that's crazy, but not the only form of crazy by a shady seller. Back in the 1990s, a known jersey forger on the West Coast had a stand pat response for anyone who question his items on a third-party basis. He claimed that the other dealers and experts were jealous of him and lying about his stuff in order to sell their own. He said this about many hobby stalwarts, from me all the way to the late, great, and totally honest Dick Dobbins. That was an easy way for him to try and deflect his inventory's issues by trying to make legitimate hobbyists look to be liars and out to get him.

Dave Miedema

Phil316
10-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Phil, that's crazy, but not the only form of crazy by a shady seller. Back in the 1990s, a known jersey forger on the West Coast had a stand pat response for anyone who question his items on a third-party basis. He claimed that the other dealers and experts were jealous of him and lying about his stuff in order to sell their own. He said this about many hobby stalwarts, from me all the way to the late, great, and totally honest Dick Dobbins. That was an easy way for him to try and deflect his inventory's issues by trying to make legitimate hobbyists look to be liars and out to get him.

Dave Miedema

That is crazy Dave. It also would totally mess with your head especially being an honest authenticator. It's like someone telling you something you know is not real but they will sit and try to convince you it is until they are blue in the face. So aggravating.

earlywynnfan
10-18-2017, 09:31 PM
I thought the best part of the article was Lee from Coach's, probably speaking while actually in bed with Morales, throwing him under the bus by saying how there are better authenticators out there. Like Ted Taylor, Barry Halper, and Nicholas Burczyk, I suppose.

Wrigley2010
10-19-2017, 01:56 AM
"There are question marks even about the biggest names in the hobby. During the discovery phase of a lawsuit filed by Indiana dealer Bill Daniels against Mastro Auctions, Daniels' attorney found that PSA/DNA, a leading autograph authentication service, spent about 16 hours over two days authenticating thousands of pieces offered in Mastro's December 2004 auction - which translates to just a few seconds per item."

I have always wondered how PSA examined so many items for an auction house. Also, those auction LOA's which offer a discount on an actual authentication have always astonished me. That is a pretty damning article.

Phil316
10-19-2017, 05:45 PM
I have literally spent hours and hours doing research on most authenticators. At least to the point I feel comfortable. So many good articles that lay everything out on the table. Chances are when you hear a name come up in lots of these articles it's worth googling.

sorklora
11-04-2017, 10:22 PM

Actually, they are photomatching now...see some of the Correa stuff. But I still wouldn't buy from them because it's just supporting a crook.