PDA

View Full Version : 1979-1984 Pirates Gold Jersey question

TNTtoys
11-17-2017, 03:26 PM
All,

I have just picked up one of these in a lot, and I understand that it was worn by the bat boy. I'd like to accurately restore it... but as you're aware, just about all of the gold jerseys of this era have had their nameplates stripped off. What would have been on the back of this jersey? Did they put the name of the bat boy? the word "bat boy"? anything else?

Many thanks
Nick

sox83cubs84
11-17-2017, 11:22 PM
All,

I have just picked up one of these in a lot, and I understand that it was worn by the bat boy. I'd like to accurately restore it... but as you're aware, just about all of the gold jerseys of this era have had their nameplates stripped off. What would have been on the back of this jersey? Did they put the name of the bat boy? the word "bat boy"? anything else?

Many thanks
Nick

I think it was a plated BAT BOY NOB. Strip tagging in the tail (if it's a Wilson) could provide a clue. Also, the gold jerseys in 1977 (Rawlings) and 1978 (Wilson) did NOT use NOB's...players or batboys. The NOBs were added in 1979 when the NL added a regulation that any jerseys worn on the road would have to add NOBs.

Dave Miedema

Jim65
11-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Nick, in the 1979 World Series, the Bat Boy's jersey had a BB on the back. Youtube has a video of Kent Tekulve getting the final out of game 6 and the team comes to congratulate him, you can see the back of the Bat Boy. I'm not sure how to post a Youtube link here but you should be able to find it.

TNTtoys
11-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Nick, in the 1979 World Series, the Bat Boy's jersey had a BB on the back. Youtube has a video of Kent Tekulve getting the final out of game 6 and the team comes to congratulate him, you can see the back of the Bat Boy. I'm not sure how to post a Youtube link here but you should be able to find it.

All,

Jim texted me the link to the youtube video, where you can clearly make out the back of the bat boy's jersey. There is no name or nameplate; just a large BB in the center. Looks like the jersey will not need any customizing at all.

Thanks,
Nick

sox83cubs84
11-18-2017, 11:25 PM

Video looks more reliable than my memory

Glad you found it.

Dave M.