PDA

View Full Version : Is a jersey worn in the PRE season GAME WORN?

amex46
02-21-2007, 09:12 AM
what about a football jersey worn in pre-season?

what about a basbeall jersey in spring training?

basketball pre-season?

thoughts anyone? i thought it would be an interesting topic.

thanks!

my thoughts football-YES basketball -MAYBE baseball-NO

suave1477
02-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Amex of course it would be Game Worn, the player wore it during a game!!!

It may not be regular season game worn but it is still game worn.

allstarsplus
02-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Suave is correct that it is Game Worn---just price accordingly. Pre-season should almost always be priced less than a regular season jersey.

Instances where jerseys may be more special would be some of those NFL games played in other countries that have the special patches, Rookie jerseys, new jersey styles, etc.

Hope that helps. Andrew

EndzoneSports
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM
This is the same topic on which I've been considering doing an editorial article for our website... With that in mind, I'll throw another monkey wrench into the mix to generate some thoughts.

College sr. Joe Average is not taken in the NFL Draft and signs a rookie free-agent contract with an NFL club. After two three weeks and two pre-season games, he is cut from the team, having never played in a regular season NFL game. Despite other attempts at cathcing on with a pro team, Joe succumbs to the realization that his glory years were in college and he not got and NFL future; subsequently he becomes an insurence salesman in Deluth and he lives happily ever after.

In this fictitions scenario, Joe would have obviouly wore a jersey(s) for two games, but is the jersey truely an "NFL game-worn" jersey, when the player in question technically never played an official NFL game?

G1X
03-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Patrick,

In my humble opinion, it is a game-worn jersey. To say it is not a game-worn jersey because it's not an "official" NFL regular-season game would open Pandora's Box on a majority of NFL football jerseys. Here's why - if it was a jersey of a player who made the regular season roster, it would be very difficult to ever really know whether that particular jersey was worn in the regular season or preseason (or both) unless you were lucky enough to find visual evidence; had undeniable evidence from the team, player, etc.; it was an unusal style worn only in the preseason (which has happened on a few occasions over the years such as with the Jets, Browns, Bengals, Falcons, etc.); a style worn only in the regular season such as most "throwbacks" and alternate styles; or the rare situation where a player wore a different number in the preseason (mainly rookies). In other words, almost any jersey out there (outside of the above mentioned exceptions) could have possibly been worn ONLY in the preseason.

One last word on the player who never played in a regular season game. If one of his jerseys is put up for sale, my believe is that the Seller should disclose the fact that the player was "preseason only" assuming that the Seller is aware of such fact.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

JasonM33
03-15-2007, 03:04 AM
I consider them all game-used. I do personally place a higher value on regular season and post season jerseys. I would definitely purchase a pre-season jersey depending on the 3 P's. The player, the provenance, and the price. He he he.

-Jason M

suave1477
03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
I believe it is quite obvious there is no mystery to it.

If the player wore it? If it was on his back it is Game Worn!!!
You can't in any walk of life say it is not Game Worn!!!

Again it may not be a regular season Game Worn, but it would be considered Pre Season Game Worn.
Just like Spring Training Jerseys they are still Game Worn.

As far as saying the game is not official, thats wrong also - THE GAME IS OFFICIAL IT TOOK PLACE!!! IF THERE IS FILM AND WITNESSES, 2 TEAMS OR MORE, REFEREES, UMPIRES TICKETS SOLD OR GIVEN AWAY, A TEAM THAT WON AND ANOTHER TEAM THAT LOST, AND WAS RECORDED FOR OFFICIAL BOOKS THAT MEANS THE GAME TOOK PLACE, IT ACTUALLY HAPPEND.

EndzoneSports
03-17-2007, 07:39 AM
As a disclaimer, I'm not advocating one position over the other; the point was just raised to generate thought on the topic.

Mark H. brings up an excellent point re: the Pandora's box that would result from trying to make such distinctions. In the majority of cases--particularly when a player appears in both exhibition and regular season games--there would really be no way to distinguish.

I guess my question, however, is a more limited one. Based on the scenario described, is the jersey of a player who never appeared in a regular season game less legitimate? To clarify a point, when as part of this hypothetical scenario, I stated that, "the player in question technically never played an official NFL game", I was not asserting that the game did not take place, I was only taking the same view that the NFL takes regarding the status of these games' players. No player who has ever played in the pre-season only will ever show up on a team or the NFLs alumni roster of players. A player must be on the active roster for at least one regular season game (though he does not have to play in that game) to legitimately be considered to have played for the NFL.

It seems that the general consensus is that, from a collector's standpoint, a jersey is a jersey is a jersey. If, however, it can be distinguished as to having only been worn during the preseason, its value would be adjusted accordingly.

Regards,

suave1477
03-17-2007, 06:19 PM
As a disclaimer, I'm not advocating one position over the other; the point was just raised to generate thought on the topic.

Mark H. brings up an excellent point re: the Pandora's box that would result from trying to make such distinctions. In the majority of cases--particularly when a player appears in both exhibition and regular season games--there would really be no way to distinguish.

To distinguish when it was used is a different story but it was still used!!!

I guess my question, however, is a more limited one. Based on the scenario described, is the jersey of a player who never appeared in a regular season game less legitimate? To clarify a point, when as part of this hypothetical scenario, I stated that, "the player in question technically never played an official NFL game", I was not asserting that the game did not take place, I was only taking the same view that the NFL takes regarding the status of these games' players. No player who has ever played in the pre-season only will ever show up on a team or the NFLs alumni roster of players. A player must be on the active roster for at least one regular season game (though he does not have to play in that game) to legitimately be considered to have played for the NFL.

It seems that the general consensus is that, from a collector's standpoint, a jersey is a jersey is a jersey. If, however, it can be distinguished as to having only been worn during the preseason, its value would be adjusted accordingly.

Just to clarify its not a collectors standpoint of view its a scientific fact.

Example: If a player wore the Jersey in an off beat game (Pre Season, Exhibition or whatever) and he took it off his back and gave it to you right after the game are you going to turn around and say to the player after he just handed it to you "you never wore this, because it's not a regular season game" NO your not.

As far as value of the Jersey from what game it was worn during is another topic.

G1X
03-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Suave,

The point of my "Pandora's Box" statement appears to be taken out of context in your previous post with regards to the preseason jersey discussion. I invite you to read my post once again, especially the opening sentence, and I think you will see that we are in complete agreement on this subject.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

suave1477
03-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Suave,

The point of my "Pandora's Box" statement appears to be taken out of context in your previous post with regards to the preseason jersey discussion. I invite you to read my post once again, especially the opening sentence, and I think you will see that we are in complete agreement on this subject.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

I agree with what your saying i was just clarifying what another member said by making the statement its a "collectors standpoint"