PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken E-Bay Auction - Hobby Microcosm

soxbats
02-24-2007, 01:25 PM
For those of you who have not been following the Cal Ripken Jersey and Pants auction on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190083974004&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:11 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190083974004&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:11)

you really should because it gives a rare glimpse into the hobby and how people deal with each other on ebay as well as an apparently uninformed seller. I have no idea if the jersey is real or not and there is a detailed discussion in the current auction thread. However, the description and Q&A section are highly entertaining.

Typically the sellers will not post questions and buy it now offers that they receive, but this one did . . . thankfully.

It appears that after the auction commenced, Rich Urban (who I do not know but I have read informed posts from) writes to the seller and makes recommendations on the title that unquestionably help the seller bring in more bidders. Very classy act. (Remember the debate on the board about the jersey at a tag sale and whether you should disclose it is worth thousands when you buy for $25).

The seller is promised that bids will be offered on the last day, offerred the opening bid to close the auction and apparently is told by many emailers (not posted) that the jersey, pants or both are fake.

One self-described "large Ripken collector" (does this mean a large collection of Ripken items or simply a large person who likes to collect Ripken stuff?) is interested but says the $5,000 starting price is too high, (seller's response is a classic, she will wear the shirt until it falls apart before selling it for a lower price) while another tells the seller that the lot could fetch $10,000 at an auction house. There are currently two bids and the price is $5,100.

Of course at the same time our apparently uninformed seller is playing coy too. When asked for proof of authenticity, seller responds that the potential bidder should do their research online and when pressed tells the questioner that the lot is not for him/her. A request for money back if not satisfactory to an authenticator is met with a reponse that 19 watchers cannot be wrong and bidders should be left to do what they do best.

I'm sure that many knew this type of thing happened on ebay, but keep it in mind when you see that perfect addition to your collection, there are many working behind the scenes to buy it.

Also, I would love to see the emails sent that were not posted, including those from people claiming that the jersey and pants were not authentic.

Jeff

stlbats
02-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Might also want to learn how to use words and spell :)

Need to know the difference between "know" and "now" and "were" and wear" :D

jason

bigtime59
02-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Folks, it's not just a hobby microcosm, it's a world microcosm. Selling high-dollar items on eBay isn't exactly like hitting yourself in the forehead with a nail-studded board...but it's often close!
I just had three auctions close for relatively high-end photo equipment. I was besieged with questions, particularly on a Nikon D2x SLR digital camera. Which would seem to be a good thing...until you realize that 33% of the questions are either attempts to "phish" my eBay information, or to sell me other items!
Add to that the rampant illiteracy found on the internet, almost unbelievable levels of rudeness, and a rampaging (and usually unjustified) sense of entitlement, and you have a most unpleasant brew.
I'm slowly winding up my eBay selling business. I'll move items as they are replaced in my collection, but the days of selling on eBay as a secondary source of income are drawing to a close.
Hell, by this time next year, if Infernal Revenue gets what they want, I'll have to pay tax on all my eBay transactions! How in the world am I going to make them believe that much of what I sell I sell at a LOSS? :mad:

10thMan
02-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Sox, pretty interesting.
On that Auction, the first 2 questions are identical, including the typos. They are verbatim. The 3rd question has an identical typo, using the word "know" when they should say "now". She could have been asked the same question twice, but considering the intellect (or lack of it) I doubt it.

This is probably (in my opinion) from the same P.C, different user I.D. on Ebay (of course).
One person asks if the Seller could "post a link" to help them identify, or possibly Authenticate the pieces. Or more specifically help them do the Research. The Response is the Classic;
"So far your the only one lost sorry not ment for you" The person is considering a 5000.00+ Purchase & that`s the Response they get ???
I agree, the levels of Rudeness, & sense of "entitlement" are becoming outrageous. Hand full of "Gimmee" mouth full of "F-You"

Ebay (itself) is becoming worse by the week. I have made what i feel are honest mistakes, on Ebay, & feel I`m permanently flagged now. If I state "no credit cards" ANYWHERE in my auction, it`s DUMPED!!! I see it on other peoples Auctions EVERYDAY. I ran a 300$ Fishing Rod, listed a related Reel, in the Listing, Dumped!!! I got a DISHONEST Response, from Ebay.

On a Happier Note, just Sold a Bat to a man off this Website...Very Polite, great Transaction, even wrote me back to say thanks...Some of you guys are very nice. Glad this Forum is here, Thanks.
Sean