PDA

View Full Version : Why would a game used Ed Armbrister bat have DD written on the knob?

jgladish
03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I picked up a game used Ed Armbrister 1977-79 Louisville Slugger model #B267. Armbrister only played in the major league from 1973-77, all with Cincinnati Reds. In 1977 he was in 65 games with 78 @ bats, so he probably didn't go through too many bats.
What is interesting is that the knob has “DD” on it instead of his number 33 and also the way the handle was taped (See below).
I was told that the DD probably stands for Dan Driessen. There are some red and green rack marks on it, so I would assume, with the multiple colors, that this was used in more than one game and therefore not a bat Driessen would have just been trying out for a game.
The Driessen bat (model #R43), I have shown with the Armbrister bat, is longer and is not taped.

Would anyone have any idea as to if this was game used by Armbrister or someone else and what does the DD stands for? Also, is there any way to find out what bats Armbrister received for 1977-79?

J Gladish

33bird
03-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I have a game used Ed Armbrister bat 1973-75 H&B. It's probably from 1975 since he hardly played any games in 73 and 74. Mine has his #33 on the knob though. It's a B 278 model. My guess on your bat is that with a DD on the knob, he probably didn't use it. But, who really knows. Good Luck.
G.Todd

jgladish
03-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Is the handle on your bat taped the same as the one I have pictured? Can you post a picture?
Thanks,
J Gladish

33bird
03-01-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't have a picture of it, but I'll check just to make sure. It's not taped-never was. It's still a cool bat you have. It's only the 2nd Armbrister I've ever seen.
Greg

soxbats
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
One thing that you should keep in mind about the number of bats a player from the 70s might have used is that players often received signature model bats in the minors too. Unlike current times, when the teams often purchase pro stock bats for the minors, in the 70s, 60s and before, many players were signed to LVS contracts before reaching the majors. I have a few signature model bats in my collection from players who only played in five or less games with 1-2 at bats. These must be minor league bats. Often this will explain confusing knob numbers too.

Great bat and good luck!

Yankwood
03-02-2007, 01:06 PM
I have another theory. I purchased some bats from two different sources who both told me that they obtained bats from a collection belonging to a former major league employee. His initials were D.D. He was a photographer and he often put his initials on the knob of the bats he collected. I had a letter written and signed by him that I obtained with the bats. I do not recall his name and have since misplaced the letter. The bats were players from the 70's which is the period of time he was employed by a major league team. Again, this is just a possibility that this was once a bat in his collection. If any of the other bat collectors on this forum can shed some light, maybe it will be of some help here.

ham1963
03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Maybe it was a minor league Bat.

jgladish
11-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I saw Eddie Armbrister at a recent Big Red Machine show in Cincinnati. I showed him the bat and he said, "B267 that was one of my bats. Man this brings back memories". I then asked about the DD on the knob. He replied, "Sometimes other players will use your bats. The DD was probably Dan Driessen", as he looked over at Driessen who was sitting next to him. They joked back and forth for a minute, but Driessen did not remember, or at least would not admit to it. I forgot to ask about the tape pattern.

JGladish