PDA

View Full Version : Ripken 1996 Alternate on Vintage - Something about that number "8"

ripkengamers
03-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Here is the link to the black alternate '96 Ripken jersey on Vintage Authentics:

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=80085093&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=80431803

I took particular interest in this jersey particularly because I also happen to own a 96 black alternate of Cal's. The first thing that I noticed (other than the rock solid provenance from Lou Lampson) is the center of the number 8 on the front of the jersey. The centers of the 8 look very square to me........something I've not seen on any Ripken jersey. My centers are more oblong in nature. I've posted both the vintage jersey and my jersey to stimulate some discussion........especially from my Oriole buddies :D

bigtime59
03-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Dan:
Look at the "R" in "Ripken" on the back of the jersey. Note that the white on the legs of the "R" has been cut in, and that there is a little black showing in the top gap of the "R". That is incorrect for Orioles jerseys of this period. That "R" should essentially ride on a solid block of white.
I also believe the NOB is a little flat for Orioles alternates of this period.
Given the usual crap quality of the photos of this piece, it's hard to tell, but that's what I'm seeing.
And you're right. That front 8 looks way wrong.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

CollectGU
03-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Dan,

To be fair. Can you post pictures of your Ripken including front back and tagging so that Orioles experts can look at yours to determine authenticity. What good is posting a picture of a number font if that also could be incorrect. We first need to determine if an exemplar is good before we question other jerseys against it...

Regards,

Dave

lon lewis
03-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Having restored a number of this style jersey, I can tell you that both ripkengamers and bigtime59 are correct in their opinions of the front number of the jersey mentioned. Also, bigtime59 is correct in his opinion of the NOB letters but he didn't go far enough. The letters should be both narrower and taller than what is depicted on the vintage jersey and the plate should have been cut with both more of an arc and have been larger/wider top to bottom. even with the taller letters there should be about 3/8" of black showing at the top and bottom of the letters. At least they didn't get the 8's upsidedown.

bigtime59
03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Here are photographs of all my Orioles 3-color alternate jerseys from players who had "R" in their name.
The Hendricks, Orosco and Anderson jerseys were purchased directly from the team. The Anderson jersey shows a less radical arch in the NOB, a practice the Orioles began in 1999, when they dropped nameplates.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com