PDA

View Full Version : Mathews bat in Vintage Authentics

JimCaravello
03-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Just wanted to alert GUU Members of the Eddie Mathews bat in the current Vintage Authentics Auction:

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=80085135&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=80431845

Here is the description of the bat:

Blonde H&B Louisville Slugger S2 signature model bat used by 500 HR Club Hall of Famer Eddie Matews during his 1962 season. The bat measures 32.3 oz and 33.875" matching factory records for team shipments of S2 model 33 oz 34" bats on 4-27-62 for Mathews. It exhibits significant game use with heavy ball, deep stitch, and cleat marks with a swelled hitting surface. The handle remains uncracked and the S2 model number is factory stamped into the knob. Overall this quality game specimen earns a final high grade of 8.5.

By reading this description, it is clearly states that Mathews used this bat during the 1962 season. This bat is clearly a Team ordered Indexed Bat and doesn't match Eddie's personal records and what he ordered during this period - which was 35" bats. The thought that anyone would say that Mathews used a bat less than 34" in a game makes my stomach curl - when his personal records show otherwise. The COA clearly indicates that the bat is a Team Indexed Bat. I personally don't agree that Team Index bats should receive a grade - certainly not an 8.5 - but MEARS has their grading criteria and collectors need to understand how they grade both real gamers and Team Indexed bats.

If you are new to the hobby and see this description and look at the 8.5 grade and nothing else - you really assume that Eddie used this bat during the 1962 season. The probability that he used this bat in a game is less than remote.

Just thought I would share my comments on this piece. I have written a lot of material on Team Indexed bats in the past in my blogs - including Eddie Mathews Indexed Bats. I feel its an important topic for people to understand. Here is an excerpt from one of my previous blogs:

( 1 ) To assume that a bat not ordered directly by the player, but by the team, ( even though the Team Order was written as outlined above ), ever made it into Eddie Mathews hands is a very liberal stretch and interpretation of the Team records as evidenced by Eddie's history of only ONCE ordering S2 model bats that were 34" in length in 1966 on his personal shipping records. In 1966, Eddie was near the end of his career, and his playing time had started to diminish. It is not uncommon for players to use shorter length and lighter bats, as they get older. Also - during the 61-64-time period, just about every bat he ordered and used had a flame burned finish. As a matter of fact, the first two shipments of bats that Eddie ordered in 1961 were not flame burned. Every order after that during the 1961 – 1964 period was flame burned, except for two All Star bats ordered in 1962. As we all know, All Star bats are typically ceremnonial and you see very few in the hobby that have true game use. He had 45 shipments from 1961 – 1964 as evidenced by his personal factory records after the first two shipments in 1961 and the All Star bats in 1962 mentioned above and they were all for flame burned bats.

Also - the Vintage Mathews bat is a standard finish per the COA and not flame burned - which from my blog excerpt above shows that he was ordering flame burned bats at the time.......

Vintage's description should state that the bat is a Team Indexed Bat and nothing else - it should not mention that Eddie used the bat. If they want to expand on Eddie's use - they should say that he probably DID NOT use the bat. Bat is already at $887 which is a real shame............

Just MHO..........Jim

JimCaravello
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
One other comment on this bat - Yes, the bat matches Milwaukee Braves Team Indexed Records but this bat could also have been ordered by ( 1 ) another player ( 2 ) or another team........We know that during this period star bats were ordered by other players and other teams.......these facts should definitely be stated and are not stated by the auction house or the authenticator.

Jim