PDA

View Full Version : What happened to this site

1929tudor
08-31-2021, 11:07 AM
This website has gone from bad to terrible over the past few years. Goldin said he was gonna make it a better website and redo it that was a few years ago he hasn't done Jack squat. Use to be so fun to get on here and buy game used items and see what everybodys got going on with their game used stuff but anymore all you see is the obituaries. A website that will probably just fade away.

DoctorLoomis
09-01-2021, 01:17 PM
This website is so bad, you can’t even get a reply from anyone as to why it’s so bad.

bscylon
09-01-2021, 04:09 PM
I agree it is horrible. I am going to cancel my membership, and be done with it. Hardly any posts, and interaction. Pages on facebook get a little more people involved. Anyhow sucks this page is not really active or anything anymore

HawaiiSportsNut
09-01-2021, 06:44 PM
Is there another site for game used memorabilia?

sox83cubs84
09-01-2021, 09:34 PM
My biggest issue with this website involves all the spam messages and ads showing up here, and the total lack of interest the moderators seem to have in banning and removing all the crap they're posting.

Dave Miedema

3arod13
09-02-2021, 01:18 PM
I have to believe that Ken Goldin initially had good intentions to do what he said he was going to do for this site when he took it over. However, he has his hands in so many other things, maybe he underestimated what would take to do it. He mainly uses it's members and the site for his auction contest. He owns it, so I guess that's his right. However, I do agree that it is truly a waste to let this site become what it is today. I'm on this site every day, looking and hoping to see things pick-up one day. This site needs to be run by someone like Chris Cavalier again, or someone like Leon on NET54, who truly enjoys what he does, engages with members on the site, and provides a great and positive place for collectors. I will continue to check this site each day. And I will continue to hope that it will come back to what is used to me. Thanks!

1929tudor
09-03-2021, 06:45 PM
Your right Tony, I wish Chris Cavalier would take it back over or Leon from Net54. Those guys would know how to make this site better or at least give it a good try more than Goldin has. I do check back maybe once every couple weeks but nothing like I did 5 times a day when Chris had it. Most of my game used bats came from here and the great guys that sold them to me.

metsbats
09-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Is there another site for game used memorabilia?

While I'm still an admin on this forum the activity certainly has slowed down over the last 5+ years.

I think these types of traditional forums have been replaced by social media like on Facebook. One of the major reasons in my opinion is social media platforms are more interactive and fosters better communication. (notifications etc). There are a lot of great fb pages out there for mlb game used and many GUF forum members are on it.

David

3arod13
09-06-2021, 05:19 PM
David,

Understandable, as things do change over time. I'm not on Facebook, so that's a bummer. However, this is the site where I started my game used collecting. My first Arod Game Used Bat I brought to this forum. As a newby, I got chewed up on, spit out, and then stepped on by the forum experts, who were trying to teach and educate me. I continued to defend the authenticity of my bat (yes, I didn't know any better). I learned quickly and became humble very quick. I learned to do the research, which made all the difference in the world. Now, when it comes to Arod Game Used Bats and Fielding Gloves, I consider myself an expert. I've studied and learned a lot over the years. The people and memories I have from this forum are ones I'll never forget. I went to an Orioles game and got to meet Andrew. His store at the stadium was pretty cool. So yes, I hate to see it gone, but who knows, one day, it may be reborn. Thanks!

metsbats
09-08-2021, 05:59 PM
My biggest issue with this website involves all the spam messages and ads showing up here, and the total lack of interest the moderators seem to have in banning and removing all the crap they're posting.

Dave Miedema

Dave, I went thru and banned those handful of members who have been generating spam. I also deleted the posts.

Please let me know if you see any which come up in the future. As I said unlike a social media site we don't get notifications of posts and moderate the old fashion way by manually scanning the posts.

Thanks
David

sox83cubs84
09-08-2021, 09:47 PM
Thanks for taking care of this. If I see any more, I'll let you know.

Dave

metsbats
09-08-2021, 10:15 PM
Thanks Dave! I will check in more often too.

sportscrazy13
10-09-2021, 11:37 PM
I do miss the old days on this site of everyone posting their new pickups

KGoldin
10-11-2021, 09:11 PM
People do this on Instagram now , every day. It is quicker and easier is issue

JackHE
10-12-2021, 07:47 AM
Interesting response - I for one refuse to go anywhere near Facebook or Instagram. My loss I guess....

JE

3arod13
10-12-2021, 09:46 AM
Same here! Still doesn’t mean GUU can’t be active and strong as it was before. I prefer and enjoy forums like this!

1929tudor
10-14-2021, 04:10 PM
That's just Goldins way of saying he doesn't want to take the time to make this website any better. I agree, kind of a crazy response to say go to Instagram. I don't want to go to Instagram I want to go to GUU. This is a website specifically for people who want to collect game used items. Who wants to go to Facebook and Instagram to see the occasional people pop in-and-out who don't really care about game used items. It is what it is. Times change. Time to move on.

KGoldin
10-26-2021, 07:20 AM
Sorry guys, didn’t mean to be so short
my point was This is an issue that is affected all forms not just this one over the years
if you look at traffic on all major forums they have been dramatically impacted by other social media was my point.
tech resources are currently taxed launching the goldin marketplace. In time would like to upgrade this site, and will. Look to do

bscylon
10-28-2021, 07:24 PM
My issue is sometimes you got someone says they are interested in a item, buy/trade or whatever. Then they start the excuses for not responding, and all. My experience has been they are not really interested, or trying to see if you are desperate to sell or something to give a lowball offer. This also puts doubt in my mind they will even complete a trade , like you send your item, and never see the offered item in trade. When I joined this site i was excited, but things just have slowed down, and then the things I just mentioned. Sad.

3arod13
10-29-2021, 12:12 PM
This will be my last comment on this. Ken's passion and priority is Goldin Auctions, not Game Used Universe, which is understandable, and his right to do so, so this isn't about slamming Ken. His site, so he can do as he desires. However, It is just so difficult to see that it is mainly being used for its members to participate in his auction contest. This was a great game used forum, with great people, who shared their knowledge and game used memorabilia with everyone. At a minimum, I wish Ken would partner up with someone who can run this forum like it used to be, while he can still use its members for his auction contest. And if that happened, he would probably have a lot more members on this site for his auction contest. For this site to be used for what it is being used for is, his auction contest, is just a waste of a great forum.. Thanks!

metsbats
11-06-2021, 12:11 PM
The GUU forum's technical platform is out dated and does not lend itself to the interactive experience that you can get on the modern social media sites like facebook and instagram. This is just one of the reasons why given it's current platform shortcomings GUF has lost is appeal. Not to say it was the primary reason but just one of many.

metsbats
11-06-2021, 12:16 PM
My issue is sometimes you got someone says they are interested in a item, buy/trade or whatever. Then they start the excuses for not responding, and all. My experience has been they are not really interested, or trying to see if you are desperate to sell or something to give a lowball offer. This also puts doubt in my mind they will even complete a trade , like you send your item, and never see the offered item in trade. When I joined this site i was excited, but things just have slowed down, and then the things I just mentioned. Sad.

THis happens everywhere and not unque to GUU. On the FB game used sites there are plenty of tire kickers and non responders after posting items they claim to have interest in.

3arod13
11-06-2021, 01:39 PM
Then update the technical platform, as Ken said he was going to do when he he first took over this site. There are many of us not on social medial sites (facebook, instagram, etc.) and prefer forums like this. Just look at NET54. It's thriving, but it doesn't focus on game used as much as this site did. To be used solely for his auction contest is a waste of this site (except for Ken and those who participate in his auction contest). The excuses get old. But I think I get it now. Move on, it's not going to change. I now will accept that this site will never come back to what it was. Thanks! .

3arod13
11-06-2021, 01:58 PM
Change the website name to Goldin Auctions Contest Universe