PDA

View Full Version : Last regular season game at Fulton County Stadium...

camarokids
03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Yes it was in late September of 1996 ,the Braves were headed to the post-season , eventually losing to the Yankees in the WS. The Braves were up two games to none and still lost (3 straight at home) .

I drove the night/morning before the game to Atlanta from St. Pete, Florida arriving in Atlanta too quickly ( I wasn't speeding) before 6am and the game started at 7:35pm.

I slept in my car for a few hours , hung out with the homeless , talked to a hottie reporter :p and her cameraman for awhile and tried to get some auto's when the players arrived for the game. After getting some sigs the camerman took some shots of my baseball for their news program :cool:.

The big deal of the day was my childhood hero Hank Aaron was going to be present and I hoped to get his signature . Unfortunately some idiot called in a bomb threat so Hank didn't show.

During BP Bob Horner walks up to the dugout and he started to sign, I threw a ball to him and asked him to personalize it to David, Best Wishes . Next thing I know , the person next to me says "what are you doing here?" . It was my younger sister (Braves fan) and her friend, they had made the trip up from St. Pete as well.

I thought that was pretty cool running into my sister , but was bummed about not seeing Hammerin Hank......

skipcareyisfat
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I have a lot of great memories of that stadium. One of my favorites happened at a game against the Mets sometime in the late 80s, when they and everyone else were still kicking the crap out of us on a regular basis. Games against the Mets, Dodgers and Cubs usually brought out twice as many of their fans as ours, so naturally my brother and I developed a sustained hatred for those teams, especially the Dodgers and Mets.

For whatever reason, a lot of people used to bring beach balls to the game. You might've seen a handful of them getting bounced around the crowd at any one time. At this Mets game, one of them landed in front of my brother, who was about 10 and sitting next to my dad. My brother picked it up, turned around and fired it directly into the face of woman sitting behind us. I thought my dad was gonna rip his arms off and hurl him onto the field. My brother was so embarrassed he spent the rest of the game sitting in the nosebleeds. When the game ended my brother came back and told our dad how sorry he was. My dad just replied, "Don't worry about. She had a Mets hat on." Gotta love it.