PDA

View Full Version : AMI McGwire cleats

kingjammy24
03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=35211

i have a question about these that i'm hoping can be answered by a Forum member who is better versed in mcgwire items/cleats than i am.

personally, during his early days with the A's, i've only seen mcgwire wear nike cleats with a green "swoosh". as well, it's my belief that nike switched from a square label on the tongue to a directly embroidered "swoosh" logo in 1992. anyway, here is my question:

to my untrained eye, these are a pair of white nike cleats with a #25 written on them. the listing does not indicate there is any provenance.
given these parameters, how is it possible to even begin to attribute these cleats to mark mcgwire? at the time these cleats were used, there must've been at least 20 players in the major leagues who wore #25. why are these not gary thurman's cleats? or kenny williams? maybe dave clarks'? etc. what about these cleats attributes them to mark mcgwire?

further along this line of questioning, since these are just a pair of ordinary baseball cleats with a #25 in them, what evidence is there to suggest they were even used at the major league level, as opposed to the minor leagues or even collegiate levels? to me, it's like taking a plain black wristband, writing #24 on it, and then concluding they were worn by barry bonds himself as opposed to some benchwarmer who wore #24 for the evansville otters.

again, i'm not claiming these cleats weren't used by mcgwire. i'm simply asking for someone to please enlighten me as to how such a verdict could be reached.

thanks in advance.

rudy.

hblakewolf
03-09-2007, 03:03 PM
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=35211

i have a question about these that i'm hoping can be answered by a Forum member who is better versed in mcgwire items/cleats than i am.

personally, during his early days with the A's, i've only seen mcgwire wear nike cleats with a green "swoosh". as well, it's my belief that nike switched from a square label on the tongue to a directly embroidered "swoosh" logo in 1992. anyway, here is my question:

to my untrained eye, these are a pair of white nike cleats with a #25 written on them. the listing does not indicate there is any provenance.
given these parameters, how is it possible to even begin to attribute these cleats to mark mcgwire? at the time these cleats were used, there must've been at least 20 players in the major leagues who wore #25. why are these not gary thurman's cleats? or kenny williams? maybe dave clarks'? etc. what about these cleats attributes them to mark mcgwire?

further along this line of questioning, since these are just a pair of ordinary baseball cleats with a #25 in them, what evidence is there to suggest they were even used at the major league level, as opposed to the minor leagues or even collegiate levels? to me, it's like taking a plain black wristband, writing #24 on it, and then concluding they were worn by barry bonds himself as opposed to some benchwarmer who wore #24 for the evansville otters.

again, i'm not claiming these cleats weren't used by mcgwire. i'm simply asking for someone to please enlighten me as to how such a verdict could be reached.

thanks in advance.

rudy.

Rudy-
I currently own 2 pairs of Mac spikes, one from Oakland, one from St. Louis. The Oakland spikes are Reebok, white with green trim. 25 embroidered on the tongue in block green and yellow thread. When I was researching this particular pair from 1992, I must have looked at over 500 photos and NEVER found one with him wearing white or natural Nikes with a natural or white "Swoosh". Likewise, the 25 on the pair in question is completely different than any 25 I have seen on McGwire's equipment. I have no idea what was used to determine that these were worn by McGwire. Did you happen to send AMI an email seeking answers to your questions/concerns?

If memory serves correct, this same auction house had issues in the past with other pairs of Nikes, correct? A pair of Pete Rose with plastic spikes and also a pair of Robbie Alomars where Lampson indicated that there was no size tag, however, the tag was clearly sewn directly under the tongue!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

zonker
03-10-2007, 08:11 AM
i had a chance to buy these cleats befor they were sold on ebay. i don't remember who bought them, but i do know who and where they came from. i have purchased a few legit mcgwire item's from this person. he is an ex-batboy from the millwaukee brewers have seen pic's of this guy with robinyount, as well pictured with alot of otherbaseball player's from the dugout. i passed on the cleat's as i researched them for about 2 week's and came up with nothing! i know he used to trade his item's with the visiting bat-boys for there's. i do recall the cleat's sold for less than the starting bid. as for background email the origanal owner of the cleats and ask him. robinyount1@juno.com his name is mike and he's a nice guy. so i'm sure he'll answear the best he can. i assumed he got dupped by 1 of his buddies way back when on the cleats. but like i said befor all the rest of his stuff has been great.

hblakewolf
10-25-2007, 08:00 PM
They're back!

Change the thread title from AMI McGWIRE CLEATS to VINTAGE AUTHENTICS McGWIRE CLEATS

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=87928560&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=88275270

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

skyking26
10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Howard/Carlie:

Was going to ask you guys what you thought about the Vintage Authentics Mac A's jersey??

RK

hblakewolf
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Bob-
Tough to tell from the photos of the 1994 jersey on the Vintage site.

I've seen a few 1994 home MAC's in the past that had "less than perfect" nameplate construction and extremely well worn tags, however, the numbers look brand new. Not indicating that's the case with this one, however, I'd suggest having the auction house provide additional closeup photos of the plate, tags and #'s and also learn about their return policy.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

whatupyos
10-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Why is it all the Mac stuff lately is questionable!!!!!!????? The 1994 jersey has what appear to be crisp numbers, plus why does the flag tags look extremely worn and the wash tag looks crisp and bright?? As for the cleats...they keep getting recylced...from EBAY to AMI to Vintage. Howard, I've researched all of Mac's equipment pretty thoroughly over the years and have never seen him in person or in photos with all white nikes. In his earlier years before he was on the A's he wore Puma's I believe but never seen him with anything other that white/green A's cleats. Did anyone see the Lelands Mac jersey in their November preview section?? Its again a 1997 but size 48. Highly doubt Mac wore a 48 in 1997. The Mears Mac is 1997 and a 48 as well. If you look at the Lelands A's gamer nameplate, the nameplate doesn't appear to be sewn corretly. On all the Mac green jerseys from 1997 there should be more fabric space between the beginning and ending letters, which this appears to be sewn millimeters before the beginning and ending instead of 1-3 inches as appear in all the Mac jersey's in photos. Just my 2 cents.

cjmedina1
10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Howard/Carlie:

Was going to ask you guys what you thought about the Vintage Authentics Mac A's jersey??

RK

HW is the man to comment on the jersey.I kinda like the WS bat but I will wait to buy unused special bats.I need to finish up my MM collection on all years signed game used bats:p.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net