PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Nellie Fox White Sox jersey on ebay

karamaxjoe
03-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I felt compelled to start a thread on this jersey since it sold for so much. This auction ended last night with $995.00 price and is so far from a 1959 or any other 50s or 60s White Sox jersey that it's really sad. I give the seller credit that it was never sold as a game used or worn jersey, but as just a Nellie Fox 1959 White Sox Flannel Jersey. Was the buyer deceived or just someone who didn't do their homework? It looks like a classic case of someone not taking the time to do the research. If it were the real deal it should have sold for at least ten times the $995.00 price. That alone should make you walk away from the auction.

I can count seven things about the jersey that don't match a 1959 White Sox jersey. Can you find them?

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180092046963&rd=1&rd=1

suave1477
03-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Ok so tell us what are the 7 things wrong with this Jersey?

JimCaravello
03-14-2007, 10:07 AM
If people are interested in a REAL GU Nellie Fox jersey, they should look no further than right here at the GUU auctions. The 69 Fox jersey in auction is spectacular............Jim

misteremu
03-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Cuffed sleeves and a size 38 would be warning flags to me.

karamaxjoe
03-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Here's my NINE problems with the Fox jersey:

1. The Wilson tag does not match any White Sox jerseys from that era. The Fox Wilson tag has three black lines on it while the correct Wilson tag has two red and one black line.

2. The year tag for 59 Sox jerseys has a set number along with the year.

3. The Fox jersey has only five buttons on it while all Sox jerseys from that era had seven. The Fox jersey looks like a kids size.

4. The Sox logo on the front of the Fox jersey has subtle differnces from 59 jerseys. You need to reference a bunch of 59 jerseys to see the difference. I have photos of five from past auctions.

5. The sleeves on the Fox jersey has an elastic end to them which is years ahead of its time. The tail of the jersey may have the same thing.

6. The name tag in the collar is a different font than a 59 jersey. Again you would need to reference a 59 Sox to see the differnce.

7. The collar of the Fox jersey is missing the satin background that would come with nearly all Sox jerseys from that era.

8. Extra Credit - The numbers on the back and the sleeve don't appear to be the correct material since they are curling up at the ends. When have you seen fifty year old numbers curl up?

9. Extra Credit - I referenced a Sox 1951, 1955, 1959 and the Senators Fox jersey on the auction thread and all the sizes were a 40. The Fox ebay jersey was a 38.

There's nine problems with the jersey. I believe this was a kids jersey from the era that someone doctored with the year and name tags. Can't fault the seller since he is selling it as nothing more than a Nellie Fox jersey.

Mike

justinV
03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Guy's,
Here's some pics of a real (a professional issued uniform) example of a Wilson home from the 1959 Washington Senators baseball club...catcher Steve Korcheck.
All team name & numbers are in a heavy canvas material with tackle twill stiching that prevents the bunching up of the material over repeated washings.
As to the eBay example, look at the name & date sewing, a modern day reproduction attemp. This is an obivious less costly period piece , most likely a little league uniform.
That being said, it doesn't excuse an apparent attemp to sell something that isn't, by using a word description that really said nothing, therefore suggesting-I'm not really responsible.
There is an old saying amoung the best salesman out there..."don't ask the right questions, you don't get the right answers!"
Hope this helps...
justin

karamaxjoe
03-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Justin,
Thanks for the pictures of the Senators jersey. That's a really nice looking jersey and a tough style to find in one piece, although it does have some differences from a 59 Sox. The Wilson tag is a perfect example although the year tag is different from the White Sox. Here's a picture of the real deal for a 1959 Nellie Fox home Sox jersey: