PDA

View Full Version : Isringhausen Mets Jersey on Ebay

Canseco44
03-15-2007, 08:10 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320092448281&rd=1&rd=1

Just wondering if anyone has looked at this yet. I am not a jersey expert by any means and was wonderinf if someone could give me some background on this company ASI. I was also wondering how rare it is to have the Skyline patch on the left side as stated in the auction. Just hoping someone could tell me if it is legit or not before I spend the money for it. Thanks in advance for any help, you guys on this forum are the best I have ever seen at this, so I'm sure there is some help waiting out there.

Thanks, Todd Ricks

TNTtoys
03-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Todd,

I saw this jersey, and it looks fine to me. My only question was why they would want so much for it. I have seen other Isringhausen Mets gamers in the $300s. $500 seemed like an awful lot to shell out.

In response to your questions, th skyline patch is fine. The orange bordered patch was on the following game jerseys that year: white pinstripe, "snow white" and gray road. The blue bordered "night skyline" patch appeared on the black jerseys.

AIS was the official manufacturer of Mets jerseys as follows:
- All home pinstripe jerseys from 1995-1999
- All gray road jerseys from 1995-1999
- Black alternate home in 1998 (didnt exist prior to 1998, and Rawlings took over production in 1999)
- Never manufactured the "snow white" nor the black alternate road.

Furthermore...
If I were able to venture a guess at which year jersey this was, I would take a stab at 1996.

- A 1995 would be a rookie gamer and would probably not be as readily available.
- A 1997 would have the Jackie Robinson patch.
- A 1998 game used Isringhausen jersey wouldn't exist, because he was out for the whole season.
- A 1999 would have a black drop-shadow under the letters.

AIS lost the Mets contract before the start of the 2000 season but makes an occasional TBTC jersey for them these days (they did all of the NY Cubans jerseys the past 3 seasons) and produces some of their Minor League teams' jerseys.
If you want info on the company itself, I am 100% positive that there is a thread here...just do a text search.

Nick

TNTtoys
03-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Slight clarification -- when I refer to the orange bordered skyline patch being correct for the jersey in "that year" -- The jersey style existed only from 1995-1998. The white pinstripe jersey had this patch in all 4 years.

hblakewolf
03-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Todd,

I saw this jersey, and it looks fine to me. My only question was why they would want so much for it. I have seen other Isringhausen Mets gamers in the $300s. $500 seemed like an awful lot to shell out.

In response to your questions, th skyline patch is fine. The orange bordered patch was on the following game jerseys that year: white pinstripe, "snow white" and gray road. The blue bordered "night skyline" patch appeared on the black jerseys.

- Black alternate home in 1998 (didnt exist prior to 1998, and Rawlings took over production in 1999)

Furthermore...
If I were able to venture a guess at which year jersey this was, I would take a stab at 1996.

- A 1995 would be a rookie gamer and would probably not be as readily available.
- A 1998 game used Isringhausen jersey wouldn't exist, because he was out for the whole season.

AIS lost the Mets contract before the start of the 2000 season but makes an occasional TBTC jersey for them these days (they did all of the NY Cubans jerseys the past 3 seasons) and produces some of their Minor League teams' jerseys.
If you want info on the company itself, I am 100% positive that there is a thread here...just do a text search.

Nick

Nick-

Thanks for the great overview.

Please explain why "A 1995 would be a rookie gamer and would probably not be as readily available". My experience has shown that the Mets jerseys are easily available from the 1990's, stars and commons. As such, why would his rookie jersey be unavailable?

Just curious!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

suave1477
03-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Todd,

Furthermore...

Nick

Tnt I am curious about this statement you made that you said for 1998 A Game Used Jersey wouldn't exist. I just want to clarify the statement. As you are right he was out the whole season. Theoretically it could be a 1998 Game Issued??? Or could it even be a 1998 Rehab Jersey??? is either possible?

hblakewolf
03-15-2007, 10:47 AM
He was not on the 1998 roster. Although it's possible that he may have had a shirt made, my experience with the Phillies has shown that if a player is not on the 40 man roster, a shirt is not manufactured (the Phillies will re-issue a shirt and change the name on back, should it be needed.).

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

suave1477
03-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Howard well the Mets do Make Jerseys. I had a 2005 Spring Training Game Issued Mets Benito Santiago Jersey, unfortunately he didn't make the cut. But they had the Jersey made up for him just in case.

hblakewolf
03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
2 different issues:

Santiago had jerseys made as the Mets may have expected him to make the team.

As for Izzy, he was damaged goods way before the season started. As such, the Mets were well aware he would sit out the season. There would be no reason to order shirts for him.

Unless we can speak directly with Charlie Samuels (Mets equip. mgr.), we can beat this issue to death.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

suave1477
03-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Howard I understand what your saying. I am not trying to beat a dead horse all I am saying is the Mets could have still made a Jersey or 2 for 1998 just in case, if Izzy came back early or made a miraculous recovery. These things can happen.

I mean no one can forsee the future, everyone expected Hideki to be done for the season after he broke his wrist and all of a sudden out of no where he made a speedy recovery which is not common for a broken wrist injury and came back at the end of the season hitting like he never left.

ironmanfan
03-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Difference with Matsui was that the season was already under way when his wrist injury occured (can't you tell the difference?).

suave1477
03-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Ironman I hope that was a joke?

Can't I tell the difference??? Can you comprehend???

I was in no way referring to anything about the actual season of when the playres started. It was quite clear to most (I guess not all) that I was referring to the Teams may prepare themselves for unexpected situations that may come up as far as a player coming back earlier then expected from injury!!

The Hideki reference was just an example of how a player came back way sooner then expected. (Thats all)

TNTtoys
03-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Tnt I am curious about this statement you made that you said for 1998 A Game Used Jersey wouldn't exist. I just want to clarify the statement. As you are right he was out the whole season. Theoretically it could be a 1998 Game Issued??? Or could it even be a 1998 Rehab Jersey??? is either possible?

Theoretically, it could be a game issued jersey...but not game used. I was working off the assumption that it is used, as presented.
I am doubtful about rehab jerseys, as I have not come across minor league Mets jerseys in my experience that have been lettered and tagged identically to the Mets game jerseys.

And I also agree with you that the Mets do make up jerseys for the odd player that doesn't make the roster. There were quite a few from recent seasons that I have come across... but the jury is out on whether or not any 98 Izzys exist.

Technically, it could be a 95 issued or used, a 96 issued or used, a 98 issued. My earlier statement about it unlikely being a 95 was due to rarity of a 95 in the first place and the fact that a 95 would be a rookie jersey. He played only a half a season that year, so it is not likely there were many sets ordered. I would also have figured that his rookies were flagged as such (and noted/priced accordingly). Only a hunch.

Swoboda4
03-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Fellas,
No where in the description of this item does the seller say,"Game Used" or "Game Worn". Be very carefull if your intention is to own a game used jersey. The seller is also offering a Clete Boyer coaches jersey and DOES say game used in the description for that
Robert
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifYOU ARE BIDDING ON A 1983 GAME USED JERSEY OF CLETE BOYER WHEN HE WAS COACHING THE OAKLAND A'S.

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A 1990'S ERA NEW YORK METS HOME JERSEY OF JASON ISRINGHAUSEN #44

hblakewolf
03-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Fellas,
No where in the description of this item does the seller say,"Game Used" or "Game Worn". Be very carefull if your intention is to own a game used jersey. The seller is also offering a Clete Boyer coaches jersey and DOES say game used in the description for that
Robert
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifYOU ARE BIDDING ON A 1983 GAME USED JERSEY OF CLETE BOYER WHEN HE WAS COACHING THE OAKLAND A'S.

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A 1990'S ERA NEW YORK METS HOME JERSEY OF JASON ISRINGHAUSEN #44

Swoboda-

What auction are you looking at? According to the auction I'm referencing, it clearly reads, "YOUR CHANCE TO OWN A GAMER FROM ONE OF BASEBALLS PREMIER CLOSERS FROM HIS BEGINNINGS"

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

metsbats
03-15-2007, 08:36 PM
A 1996 jersey would have the John McSherry embroidery memorial patch. John as we all know died of a massive heart attack on opening day April 1, 2006 in Cincinnati. Unless this jersey somehow walked out of the clubhouse prior to be picked up for the McSherry patch installation after the first day of the season the chances of it being from 96 are slim.

David

TNTtoys
03-15-2007, 10:21 PM
David,

Thanks for that tidbit, I was not aware of it. I found this supporting information:

An logo is worn, for this season (1996) only, on the right sleeve of both the home and road uniforms in honor of National League umpire John McSherry, who died of a heart attack in Cincinnati on the field during a game on the opening day of the season. The logo is not a patch, but is embroidered in black directly onto the right sleeve of both the home and road uniforms. The design depicts a home plate with two baseball bats cris-crossing behind it. "J. M., N.L. Umpire, 10" is printed on the logo in Times New Roman. The memorial logo was designed by Russ Gompers, whose company does all of the lettering on the New York Mets' jerseys.

So, this only leaves the possibilities of this jersey being:
A 1995 rookie gamer, not a gamer at all (issued, possibly from 98).

Swoboda4
03-16-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm just a little leary when there's a play on words. "Gamer" as opposed to Game Used/ Game Worn. The seller clearly and proudly uses the description "game used" on the Boyer he is offering. Unless he just innocently used Gamer in stead of Game Used.
Robert