PDA

View Full Version : Canseco Jersey Help

Canseco44
03-22-2007, 07:59 PM
I just acquired this jersey from ebay( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280096605253&rd=1&rd=1) and was needing some help from the experts that roam this forum. I got it at a decent price and just want to hear your opinions about it as to its authenticy. I know the tags look crisp, but he only played for them for a very short time. Thanks guys

Todd

mailman93
03-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey Todd, I guess your the reason why the auction ended lol. I bid on it too. I'm curious, what did you pay for it? I think its a team issue. If it was used and came from the fanfest, it would of had a letter with it. plus the tags look way too crisp. he didn't play that much, but without a letter from the team you really cant say for sure its game used. I hope you didn't pay that much for it. take care Dan

kingjammy24
03-23-2007, 01:23 AM
hi todd,

canseco was released by the angels on march 28, 2001. by march 28, the angels had already played about 30 or 31 spring training games. i'm unsure how many of those canseco actually played in. i can't find 2001 angels spring training boxscores. at any rate, 30 games is enough for a jersey to show some use.

during spring training games, i know the angels wore their bp tops. i'm not sure if they may have also worn their home, road, or alt jerseys. (yours is an alt jersey). you may want to try to find out the answer. if the angels only wore their bp tops during spring training games, then i guess you have your answer regarding possible game use.

canseco was signed by the angels on january 16, 2001; enough time to get some regular season jerseys ordered for him for the home opener assuming he made the team. if the angels were reasonably certain he'd make the cut, then they would've ordered his regular season shirts. if so, then the others may be out there somewhere. if the angels weren't certain, then they may have held off. i'd wager they probably thought he'd make the squad. getty has an image of canseco in an angels spring training player promo photo. in it, he's wearing a home jersey. no idea if it was a home jersey that arrived for him for spring training, the regular season, or if it was just a generic/retail jersey that each player put on for the sole purpose of posing for their promo photo.

as for your jersey, i don't see anything glaringly wrong with it. it all seems kosher to me. whether or not it was actually used i think needs to start with the question of whether the angels ever even used their alt jerseys in 2001 spring training and if so, how many times.

rudy.

JasonM33
03-23-2007, 02:30 AM
Ha ha. You beat me to it. Nice one. I tried to buy it but the dude never got back to me. Let us know what it looks like when you get it. Was there no team letter with it?

-Jason M

Canseco44
03-23-2007, 06:48 AM
I haven't heard back about the team letter yet. My gut feeling is that it is an issued jersey and not a used one, but at this price I paid I feel comfortable either way. I paid a little more than a nice Mitchell and Ness jersey would cost. Around $300. I will post again when I get it and update this thread. Either way I will have a very nice and rare game jersey. I am just curious why it was still sitting in a sale 6 years later. Do they usually keep them that long?

Todd