PDA

View Full Version : ripken jerseys on ebay any feedback

pujols916
03-23-2007, 08:42 AM
:eek: i,ve seen alot of ripken stuff on ebay lately and like know there is a 83 allstar jersey , im not good on cal stuff and was looking to purchase in the future so any good feedback would help

ripkengamers
03-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Here's a little tid bit from Mark on the 93 Allstar jersey............it is very laughable at best!

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=7630

In general 90% of Ripken jerseys on the open market are fakes!

allstarsplus
03-23-2007, 09:54 AM
In general 90% of Ripken jerseys on the open market are fakes!Dan - I think you are being too nice in your 90% estimate. I recall 1 real one and a few that were "maybe-maybe nots" in the past few years. Just go through old archives here as so many have been documented here.

My 2 favorites from the old archives was of course the green St. Patricks jersey w/ Lampson LOA and Eric's 2001 w/ flag tag "good use" Post 9/11 jersey that was the alternate Friday Night special w/ LOA.

Lets just say we have 1 real vs. 19 fakes then that is running at 95% fake!!!! I still think that estimate is generous. lol

We would have to look real hard to find a real one. I suggest Cal's closet!

Andrew

pujols916
03-23-2007, 08:31 PM
thks for the input guys

mr.miracle
04-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Dan - I think you are being too nice in your 90% estimate. I recall 1 real one and a few that were "maybe-maybe nots" in the past few years. Just go through old archives here as so many have been documented here.

My 2 favorites from the old archives was of course the green St. Patricks jersey w/ Lampson LOA and Eric's 2001 w/ flag tag "good use" Post 9/11 jersey that was the alternate Friday Night special w/ LOA.

Lets just say we have 1 real vs. 19 fakes then that is running at 95% fake!!!! I still think that estimate is generous. lol

We would have to look real hard to find a real one. I suggest Cal's closet!

Andrew

I have been off the grid for a couple of weeks and thought I would weigh in on this one. Andrew is absolutely correct on this one, in the past few years there have been countless Ripken jersey's on ebay and pretty much every major auction house out there. Out of those I can also remember maybe one total that we were nearly 100% certain was the real deal. Several were questionable at best and the many dozens and dozens of others were laughable at best. Simply put, if you plan on collecting Ripken game used jersey's you had better come prepared with a ton of money and plan on searching for many years because the real ones are nearly impossible to find and if they are real they cost a ton of money.

I have had conversations with members of this forum and other Orioles collectors about where the heck all the real Ripken's are. Having played in 3001 career games over 21 MLB seasons, we know Cal used a ton of equipment but generally, the real stuff is hard to find. We also know that Cal was very protective of his equipment over the years so not nearly as much has reached the market as would normally be the case with a player of similar stature. My guess is that very few legit game used jersey's from Cal's career have ever hit the market and those that have a locked away in the personal collections of those lucky enough to have a Ripken gamer. Somewhere, Cal Ripken has a personal storage facility stocked with many of his game used items from over the years. That is where the real stuff is located. Would I love to have a look in there.

While it is easier to find Cal's game used bats, his jersey's are nearly impossible to find as are other items such as cleats, and fielding gloves of which I have only ever seen one that was considered to be pretty much 100% genuine.

The sad truth is, we will most likely continue to see the large number of fake Ripken jersey's hit the market over the next few years. As Mark Sutton has mentioned numerous times on this forum, it is simply too easy to fake a Ripken especially from the early 90's until Cal's retirement in 2001. With all the non star jersey's that the Orioles sold over the years it is very simple for dirty cheaters to doctor up a basic jersey into a fake Ripken and get a nice return on it for your trouble.

As a Ripken game used collector I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I won't be finding a legit game used jersey anytime soon. Even if one comes along that might be a possible real jersey we saw what happened recently with the nut job that was selling the reported game used 83 Orioles Ripken alternate Orange jersey on ebay. There are just too many questions about almost every one of the Ripken's that comes available.

That is just my take on it but one day we will find a real deal game used Ripken that will probably go for off the chart money when the discriminating collectors that know what to look for realize it is real and the sky will be the limit in terms of putting this piece in their collections.