PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Ball Markings

cjmedina1
03-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Can any ball experts tell me is there any special marking from a game ball vs. retail ball.Thanks again

CarlieMedina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

mjkm90
03-27-2007, 07:24 PM
There are balls that could possibly be used in a game, but anyone can purchase major league balls. What year is your ball? From that we can tell you the markings that would be present if it is a pro model. Keep in mind, this is a vintage board, so that is where most of the expertise and interest here lie.

cjmedina1
03-28-2007, 12:41 AM
There are balls that could possibly be used in a game, but anyone can purchase major league balls. What year is your ball? From that we can tell you the markings that would be present if it is a pro model. Keep in mind, this is a vintage board, so that is where most of the expertise and interest here lie.

The ball is a 1998 sign allstar ball of Mark Mcgwire stl 25.I understand that this is a vintage board and thats why I'm here asking if there is a tell tell sign of a game used ball vs a retail ball.Here is some pics

mjkm90
03-28-2007, 05:44 AM
That ball was made for that game, but could be purchased by anyone. All star balls were readily available to the public. Determining game use without provenance is difficult. I have a few All Star balls that have been autographed, but mine were not game used.

slidekellyslide
03-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Most likely not game used - as Mike said these balls for All Star Games/World Series et cetera are all readily available to the general public. I also have a bunch of these types of balls signed by contemporary players and none are game used.

sylbry
03-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Correct me if I am wrong game used balls are "rubbed down" before a game and thus have a much smoother feel compared to a retail ball. What they are rubbed with I do not know.

slidekellyslide
03-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Generally this is what is used to rub down a baseball....

http://baseballrubbingmud.com/main.htm

cjmedina1
03-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Here is a pic of my goof Friend Randell Hahn 1998 allstar baseball.See the difference in the color of the lace?When I get home I will take a closer look to see if its rub down.Thanks to all for your input,This is a big reason GUU is the best.We have the best members here and we all SHARE the info.Thanks again:D

cjmedina1
03-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Opps for got my email

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

slidekellyslide
03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
A lot of times the All Star game has used balls with colored laces - helps them sell a lot of baseballs.

bubbrubb25
04-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Balls for game are rubbed down with rubbing mud.