PDA

View Full Version : You have to be kidding me...

bigtime59
03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=81419325&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=81766035

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=81419493&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=81766203

I looked at the Trot Nixon Red Sox jersey on Vintage Authentics and thought "hey, despite the absolute rapine and pillage involved in a 17.5% buyers fee and the outrageous shipping costs, this would be interesting to have."
Then I saw these two "game used jerseys", and having seen them, remembered that Lou Lampson couldn't find his a** with two hands, a road map and a guide dog...and the temptation passed.
People, if you're going to fake jerseys, at least put some effort into it...please? And Lou? Just give up, dude. You clearly don't have the first clue as to what you are doing!

:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

Eric
03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Can you please describe what you think is problematic with these jerseys?

Eric

RobSteinmetz
03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Mark,

While we appreciate your bringing these jerseys to the attention of the forum, but please refer to forum rule #16, which states:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, it is expected that the poster clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, it is expected that the poster questioning an item will attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item.

Please take the time to contact Vintage Authentics with your concerns, then post a description of why you believe these jerseys are not legitimate. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Best,

Rob Steinmetz

bigtime59
03-28-2007, 02:44 PM
What's wrong with these jerseys, a story in two (or more) parts, by
Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

Gibbons:
Numbers appear to be wrong size. NOB is wrong font. Jersey size is wrong. "Funbird" patch dates jersey to the 2002-2003 period, not 2004.

Lopez:
Numbers appear to be wrong size. NOB is wrong font. Jersey size is wrong. "Orioles" script in a pattern not used during the Majestic period, but last seen on the Russell jerseys of 1998-1999.

I've sent a "customer service form" to VA. But I don't think I'm being altogether unreasonable in wanting them held to the same standards to which I hold myself: know what the **** you're selling, before you put it on the market!

camarokids
03-28-2007, 02:56 PM
[quote=bigtime59;36111]
Then I saw these two "game used jerseys", and having seen them, remembered that Lou Lampson couldn't find his a** with two hands, a road map and a guide dog...

you know with all the reality TV shows coming up, you might be onto to something here .

A sequel to Lost , instead of being on a deserted island .
Lou Sampson could be locked in his bathroom , trying to find the key to get out . Only one problem Lou stepped on and broke his eyeglasses. The key is taped to his buttock and he can't find his a$$ ..... his guide dog quit and he lost his map ... tune in next week ...

bigtime59
03-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Please compare this 2002 Luis Matos road jersey, purchased directly from the Orioles, with the "Gibbons" and "Lopez" jerseys currently on VA.
Note the differences in font, weight of outline of front numbers, size of front numbers...
Thank you for your time...too bad Lou's the one getting the money!

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

CollectGU
03-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Actually, I don't see the difference...Please elaborate

Thanks,
Dave

bigtime59
03-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Actually, I don't see the difference...Please elaborate

Thanks,
Dave

Dave:
Look at the 2s on the front and back of the Gibbons and Matos jerseys. Note the different shape of the numbers, different apparent size, and different weight in the black border around the numbers.
Look at the O and S in Gibbons and Matos on the back of the jerseys. Note the different thickness of the letters, and apparent different size.
Also, both the Gibbons and Lopez jerseys appear to have numbers that are taller than 8"
Look at the "Orioles" script on the Lopez jersey vs either of the other two.
Also, the front 1 on the Lopez jersey looks wrong, as well.
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

bigtime59
04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Made my annual pilgrimage to the Orioles Fan Fest on Sunday. (It was held later than usual due to a conflict with a Ravens playoff game in January.) In amongst the usual assortment of ex-players G/U jerseys, I found two Jay Gibbons jerseys. One from 2002/2003 is a black alternate size 52, and one (currently on eBay, see http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZmwt59 for all my current listings) was a size 50. Not a size 46 in the bunch. Also I had an opportunity to speak to Jay at the Orioles 2003 DC Fan Fest, and he told me personally in 2003 that he did in fact wear a size 52 in 2002.

Thanks,
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

bigtime59
04-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Well...now there's a "2000 Mike Mussina" Orioles jersey, obviously done in the same shop as the "Lopez" up on Bricol:

http://www.bricolsportsauction.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=ItemDetails&UserID=0&Category=0&consignerid=0&CategoryID=52&CategoryName=FEATURED%20ITEMS&ItemID=7

But, hey, it's got a Lou! Lampson! LOA!, so it has to be good, right?

BTW, the "Gibbons" jersey that started this thread went for $173 (boy do I feel like an idiot selling an autographed Gibbons TBC Browns jersey purchased directly from the Orioles for a mere $200 on eBay!) while the "Lopez" went for $108.
Two attempts to contact the auction house met with one "we'll look into it" reply. Great use of my time...

ironmanfan
04-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Along these lines I was also fortunate to pick up a Jay Gibbons gamer from the Orioles Fan Fest (a 2004 TBTC 1954 style; a very nice pickup) that is a size 50 as well.