PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Jr. helmet - American Memorabilia Auction

skipcareyisfat
03-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Lot #142 in American's current auction contains a Reds batting helmet supposedly used by Ken Griffey Jr.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=35218

If I remember correctly, this helmet sold on eBay a couple months ago. The seller didn't say it was used by Jr. However, given the final bid amount (around $150, I think), it seemed the buyer thought otherwise.

It's my opinion that the helmet was used by Quinton McCracken in 2006. Griffey switched from #30 to #3 before the 2006 season and McCracken was issued #30, along with Norris Hopper. Hopper is a RHB, however McCracken is a switch-hitter.

A second opinion from any Reds collectors would be appreciated here, but I'm fairly certain that the Reds changed the color of their helmet numerals in 2006. Prior to '06, helmets with the red shell (like the one in the AM auction) had red numerals outlined in white. In '06 red shell helmets featured black numerals outlined in white.

The dugout photos below are from 2003 and 2004 and show red helmets - including one of Jr.'s - with the red/white scheme.

The McCracken photo is from 2006 and clearly shows him wearing a helmet similar to American's. It might even be the same one.

I spoke with someone at American and he said he'd pass along the info to Lou, who apparently was in the building when I called. That was a couple weeks ago. Currently the helmet's at $383 with another day to go.

If I'm wrong about this, let me know.

-Jason

indyred
03-28-2007, 09:44 PM
The Reds still used the white outline #'s on the red helmet last season. I I checked getty for 2006 Reds pictures and they are white. I'm not sure why that helmet has black #'s. The road one's have that look. But I think with your photo showing that particular helmet like that and Q in it. Really makes it look like his helmet, not Griffey's. THe picture looks like spring training. Maybe they used that style in those games? Not sure, but that helmet looks older, maybe it's been around awhile. No mention of what the wheel year is?

skipcareyisfat
03-29-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't how old the helmet is. It isn't uncommon for teams to wait years before issuing them. Like most auction house descriptions, though, this one leads with half a page's worth of bio material that tells us nothing about the actual item. The helmet's description is pretty useless too unless you don't want to look at the photos.

I realize that anomalies are frequent with regard to equipment and a lack of photo evidence doesn't mean something's bogus, but I'm not buying into this one. After looking at as many Jr.-era Reds pics as I could find and without finding a single one of him wearing a red helmet with black numerals, my assumption still stands about this being a Quinton McCracken helmet.

-Jason