PDA

View Full Version : Best color pen for black bats?

MP2006
03-29-2007, 07:54 AM
For autographs: Which shows up better on a game-used black bat? A gold paint pen, or a silver paint pen?

The bat I have is black with gold lettering. (I obviously don't want to try out two pens on the bat to see which looks better.)
Thanks for everyone's advice.

skyking26
03-29-2007, 08:08 AM
You could go either way here. While it is true gold may match your lettering better, I have always like silver better. It stands out far better than gold ever has on black whether it is a bat or a photo...

suave1477
03-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Personally to me a silver paint pen looks ten times better and stands out more.

Also I have noticed with Gold I would say have the time over years tends to turn / like fading to a darker gold color. Kind of like when silver tarnishes.

frikativ54
02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Will the silver pen tarnish over time, even in say a UV-resistant case?

suave1477
02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Frik when you use the silver use the Silver Paint Pen. Yes there is a difference at most signings if you look carefully you will notice 2 different silver pens there is one which is a plain looking silver sharpie which is waterbased and the other is actual oil paint.

The water based will look good for now but does soak into the matierial and eventually will fade over time. The Paint pen will look good now and should last a long long time.

It is just like paint inside your house does that fade??? No it may change after years and years of being exposed to the enviroment but if you have it enclosed in a case especially a UV case you shouldn't have any problems

frikativ54
02-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Shoot - I was thinking on a jersey, not a bat. I posted the wrong thread, I guess. I am debating whether or not to have a jersey signed. If there is any chance of it fading in the future in a UV protected case, then I wouldn't want to do it. Even if it is a 1% chance, I would err on the side of caution.

Help me out here.

suave1477
02-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Frik well actually I made a mistake myself my answer to your silver question was for a Jersey.

Again I perosnally have had many items signed with Silver PAINT pen and have not had a problem, some of my items have been signed for years and some recent. No Problems as of yet.:D

frikativ54
02-19-2008, 10:00 PM
What brand would you recommend. I remember somebody saying that they use Deco Color liquid silver fine/medium points. What point do you use, and what brand?

Thanks,

Frik

suave1477
02-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Frik I personally use the Sharpie Brand, I use regular point for the Silver paint. If I am having a light colored number on the Jersey written on such as White, then I would use a Fine Tip Blue Sharpie.

suave1477
02-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Also to answer your question in the other thread Sharpie Silver marker will fade. Make sure it is a Sharpie Silver PAINT Marker.

B1SON
02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
On the one bat I own, I used a silver sharpie and it hasn't faded.

godwulf
02-20-2008, 11:01 AM
I've always gone with a gold paint pen for a bat with gold graphics, and a silver pen for silver or white graphics, but I guess that's really a personal preference. 'Sakura' is the brand I've been finding at Michael's lately.

The one big change I've recently made is to go from using the "1.8 mm line" calligraphy paint pen to the (actually much bigger, despite the minor numerical change) "Medium Point 2.0 mm" paint pen. The bigger paint pen is the size of a Magic Marker, and really shows up much better. The problem with the smaller pens is that if a player doesn't really press hard with it, sometimes you can barely see the signature at all - with the bigger paint pen, you don't have that problem.